GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Weighted Shift Knobs

Buguyed

Ready to race!
Has anyone tried this knob (link below)? It seems to get great reviews, looks clean, and reduces throw by 28%. My other option was the Euro S3 shift kit which reduces by 20%.

Question I guess is twofold. First, I only want a weighted knob that is shorter like this or BFI... or.. get a short shift kit and keep OEM knob.. a shorter knob and short shift kit would be too much. Thoughts here?

Second, has anyone had this knob and likes it? I don’t want to hit my knuckles on the dash or anything so the height seems concerning to me.

I already have 42DD bushings installed and want just a little less throw now.

http://www.boombaracing.com/mk7-gti-golf-r-short-throw-weighted-shift-knob-440-grams/

copperbricks

Ready to race!
It seems like it'd be really difficult to go back to the stock knob, I was planning on getting a boomba racing short shifter and seeing if I still wanted a little less throw.

Buguyed

Ready to race!
I think I’ll get the knob before the shifter. I just loved the weighted ZHP shifter in my old E46 BMW. I think I want that feel back more than the shortened throw. Now I’m just worried that the Boomba knob sits too low? I wish I could try in person.

Tigsel

Ready to race!
This one requires cutting the boot. I'd pass. Look into something like Raceseng, they have much better options, IMO.

TheWombat

Go Kart Champion
I have a Raceseng Topology, though I had to cut the boot to get it on; others have managed to avoid that, but it was beyond my meager skills. The Raceseng is massive, though; they list the topology at something like 445g. I coupled mine with a Dieselgeek short-shift set up, and I love it, but it definitely makes shifting something you do with _intent_, as casual, touch-of-the-finger shifting like the stock set up seems to encourage will not end well. I love the c-thunk sound and the very positive engagement/feel of the gear shifts now though.

I would also recommend going for a knob first, as it does change shifting noticeably by itself. The hassle of installing a short-shift kit should be on your list only if the knob replacement doesn't do it for you.

russiankid

Drag Race Newbie
I have a Raceseng Topology, though I had to cut the boot to get it on; others have managed to avoid that, but it was beyond my meager skills. The Raceseng is massive, though; they list the topology at something like 445g. I coupled mine with a Dieselgeek short-shift set up, and I love it, but it definitely makes shifting something you do with _intent_, as casual, touch-of-the-finger shifting like the stock set up seems to encourage will not end well. I love the c-thunk sound and the very positive engagement/feel of the gear shifts now though.

I would also recommend going for a knob first, as it does change shifting noticeably by itself. The hassle of installing a short-shift kit should be on your list only if the knob replacement doesn't do it for you.

Did you cut the boot because of the black ring holding the boot to the stock knob? You can get the ring off, but it takes some patience and multiple screw drivers. I got mine off without cutting and can revert back to stock.

Buguyed

Ready to race!
I installed the 42 Draft Design bushing kit. That was pretty brutal. I am not concerned about installing a short shift kit after that task.

I want a heavy knob but am def discouraged about cutting the leather. Do I need to cut if I went a BFI Route? I like the round knobs and didn’t really seem anything in the blocky Raceseng knobs.

Buguyed

Ready to race!
Also... I wasn’t keen on spending the $150 on a knob on the Raceseng or BFI knobs. Part of the Boomba allure is the $85 price tag

Tigsel

Ready to race!

TrinivdubOG

Go Kart Newbie
No cutting of boot for Bfi shift knob. I went the Boomba shifter adapter route coupled with ecs bushings and ended up hating it, removed the adapter. Wished I just put out the extra and went with either a diésel geek or Apr instead.

TheWombat

Go Kart Champion
Did you cut the boot because of the black ring holding the boot to the stock knob? You can get the ring off, but it takes some patience and multiple screw drivers. I got mine off without cutting and can revert back to stock.

Yes. I realized I had screwed up by not being patient, um, after I had cut the thing. Not a big deal, as I do want to get a replacement leather boot anyhow, and you can't really tell it was cut, but indeed, patience is the thing.

TheWombat

Go Kart Champion
The Dieselgeek kit includes bushings, doesn't it? All I remember was how frustrating it was to get the damn lever off the transmission, and then how hard it was to adjust the Allen nuts in the tight space of the engine compartment.

Keep in mind though that I have the mechanical aptitude of a snail.