GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Wee Puff of smoke on start up

evetS

So, at 300 miles I notice an exhaust cloud pass my passenger side window on start up. It was decent in size. This happened only noticeably maybe once or twice more. Now it is happening quite frequently, only with a much smaller amount of smoke. It doesn't happen on cold starts only after motor has been ran and parked for a few hours have I noticed it. The times it smokes the car was parked in direct sunlight. I have also noticed that my outdoor temperature sensor was off by about 20 degrees. The morning temp when first started was say 60 and when I start it again and it smokes, the outside temperature is 80 but the car still reads 60. It seems to be regulating the start up fuel based on the read of the outdoor temperature sensor perhaps? Thus the white Smoke?
I took it in for service and at first the service rep told me no way that was the issue!! they then replaced the outdoor temperature sensor and sent me packing LOL. I don't think this will be the fix as I noticed the outdoor temp gauge still of by a decent amount. It is now the time of year that it wont be getting too cold in the morning versus the day so its not happening any more. Still checking it but thought I would post. If anyone else has Ideas? I doubt this is the fix based on the new sensor still off by a lot. Will update as I find out more. Motor runs fine getting good gas mileage so no signs on that end. In the video this is very minor smoke compared to some of the other times, it was about 80 outside when started in the video outdoor temp from car reads 58 when starting even though its 80 outside. If I wasn't looking for this it would be hard to see when inside the car other times it was clearly much worse or I would have never spotted it.
https://vimeo.com/163004813

Firstboost

Go Kart Champion
Well, I'm not exactly sure what could be causing this, but white smoke is indicative of water being burnt off/vaporized. Are you sure it just isn't condensation inside of your exhaust system that is burning off once you have air turbulence through your exhaust system?

Maybe it's just me and that the asphalt could be making the smoke appear to have a blue tint as it is a dark background on white-ish smoke, but if it is in-fact a hue of blue, that would be oil burning off. The only thing I could see burning oil through the exhaust system would be bad turbo seals, valve guide seals, or piston ring-lands. I'm not up to snuff on the engineering behind the EA888, so I'm not sure if those are common issues.

evetS

Yeah, its definitely not condensation. It may have a slight blue tint to it but not sure hard to tell. The service tech said it will be an ongoing solution meaning they don't have a very clear idea as well. I was wondering about other peoples outside temperature readings, I have had many cars with temperature sensors and they are usually off a little on the start but mostly read higher and then lower as you drive this does the opposite it displays a cooler temperature and then increases but the new sensor does this too so it must be normal for this vehicle. This is mostly noticed when starting in cold then park it let it set for a bit while the outside temp is rising I get in and see that it off buy at least 15 to 20 degrees. I just don't think that is right still but not a huge deal if that's the way it works. They did say that it does use that temperature info to regulate fuel etc.. so that is why it was replaced. If some of you can post how your outside temp. displays that would be good to know.

evetS

42k miles update 7 years later, Yes I still have this GTI longest time I have ever kept a car in my life and with the cost of new cars probably going to be keeping it. So update on smoke, yes it's still smoking on and off and that's really all that has happened over the years its just very rare but it does still happen just as posted above when it was brand new. Good news is only thing I have done is regular maintenance, and I am on my 2nd battery no other issues with it at all. Getting sump pump recall done as I smell a fait hint of gas so taking time to get that done held off as long as possible on it. Was on here and just decided to update peace.

CaptainRatty

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
42k miles update 7 years later, Yes I still have this GTI longest time I have ever kept a car in my life and with the cost of new cars probably going to be keeping it. So update on smoke, yes it's still smoking on and off and that's really all that has happened over the years its just very rare but it does still happen just as posted above when it was brand new. Good news is only thing I have done is regular maintenance, and I am on my 2nd battery no other issues with it at all. Getting sump pump recall done as I smell a fait hint of gas so taking time to get that done held off as long as possible on it. Was on here and just decided to update peace.
Sub'd for the next update in 2030.

Supermoto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Autobahn DSG
Both my GTIs have done this every time as long as the weather (dew point) is within whatever conditions are required. In my case it's just water vapor

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
Lol good to know. Been noticing small puffs of smoke on starts (warm and cold) from my car the last couple of months, also on and off. Will probably swap the original PCV out to see if that fixes it