GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Wastegate actuator removal in situ

Goodbar

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Mk7.5 GSW
Struggling to get the wastegate actuator off my IS12 on my 4Motion car. I was able to remove the T30 bolt closer to the engine, but the one near the firewall appears to be hidden behind insulation for one of the turbo lines. Any tricks here or am I pulling the turbo?!

Thanks.

IMG_0241.JPG

OceanJack

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
Yeah. I went through this and spent 3 days trying to reinstall it, removing was easy but I ended up removing the turbo since my VAQ diff was in the way.

You're gonna want to use a long 6 inch T30 to get under that oil line for the bottom bolt.

Goodbar

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Mk7.5 GSW
Got this job finished. I unbolted the driveshaft and downpipe and moved them aside to get access to the actuator from below. The oil return line blocks straight-on access to the actuator bolt closer to the firewall, as seen in the photo in the OP. I used a mini-ratchet with a T30 bit to loosen the remaining bolt. That seemed easier than removing the oil line.

IMG_0297.jpg

I bought a Unitronic WG actuator that came with stainless bolts (10mm wrench size). I used those instead of the Torx bolts. A 10mm offset wrench was helpful for getting the firewall side tight. I cut a small piece of bike inner tube to get a better grip on the actuator rod for adjustment rather than using a wrench/vise-grip, which worked well.

The swivel on the WG shaft that the actuator connects to was binding. There are no signs of corrosion. I'm convinced that the mechanical resistance caused the original actuator to fail (or at least more quickly). I worked the swivel through its range a bunch of times until it freed up, then packed it with high-temp antiseize (Loctite 41205).

I did a lot of learning the hard way on this job. Given that the car is 5 years old with almost 90k miles, I probably should have upgraded the turbo. Removing the turbo might have been less labor.

Seems like the turbo spools quicker at low RPM, so maybe the old actuator had partly failed for some time.

OceanJack

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
Got this job finished. I unbolted the driveshaft and downpipe and moved them aside to get access to the actuator from below. The oil return line blocks straight-on access to the actuator bolt closer to the firewall, as seen in the photo in the OP. I used a mini-ratchet with a T30 bit to loosen the remaining bolt. That seemed easier than removing the oil line.

View attachment 303743

I bought a Unitronic WG actuator that came with stainless bolts (10mm wrench size). I used those instead of the Torx bolts. A 10mm offset wrench was helpful for getting the firewall side tight. I cut a small piece of bike inner tube to get a better grip on the actuator rod for adjustment rather than using a wrench/vise-grip, which worked well.

The swivel on the WG shaft that the actuator connects to was binding. There are no signs of corrosion. I'm convinced that the mechanical resistance caused the original actuator to fail (or at least more quickly). I worked the swivel through its range a bunch of times until it freed up, then packed it with high-temp antiseize (Loctite 41205).

I did a lot of learning the hard way on this job. Given that the car is 5 years old with almost 90k miles, I probably should have upgraded the turbo. Removing the turbo might have been less labor.

Seems like the turbo spools quicker at low RPM, so maybe the old actuator had partly failed for some time.
How did you hold the actuator up while reinstalling? That was my problem, I then realized you could remove the air box and have someone hold it while rethreading the bolts.

Goodbar

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Mk7.5 GSW
I threaded the rod into the WG linkage to hold it in place. Still a little fiddly to get it lined up, but didn't require a second person.