GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Warm Air With Heat Off

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
I noticed in the cold weather, that as soon as the car warns up, all I get is warm air from the vents. The recirc is off. I need to use the A/C or open the windows. I'm pretty sure we have a heater control valve in the heater hose, perhaps it's stuck open?

EpicTech

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI 6sp w/PP

McBrian

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf 4D 5MT
That's kind of where I was going. I got a turbo blanket thinking it would help, it does as long as you're moving, but sitting is sitting and the air does get warmer.

Al_in_Philly

Autocross Newbie
FWIW, most modern cars are aerodynamic enough that they actually get better highway mileage with the A/C on and the windows rolled up. Opening the windows causes enough drag from the added air turbulence to require more gas than your compressor does. Though I'm not sure of exactly what speed that efficiency cross-over takes place on a Golf R.

Urlik

Go Kart Newbie
FWIW, most modern cars are aerodynamic enough that they actually get better highway mileage with the A/C on and the windows rolled up. Opening the windows causes enough drag from the added air turbulence to require more gas than your compressor does. Though I'm not sure of exactly what speed that efficiency cross-over takes place on a Golf R.

The crossover would be tough to compute since the compressors are variable output and can constantly change the drag they have on the system.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
I read the other thread from back a few years ago. I even posted to it. I guess as the car is 8 years old now it seems worse, but probably not. It's good that others actually took the car apart and saw the vent is in a poor location. Having the turbo near the fresh air intake doesn't help either. I did set the temperature to 60 and waited a few seconds to make sure the blend was fully set. Didn't seem to make much difference if any at all. The A/C is still strong so it's not an issue, but if/when it fails it will be hell until it's fixed. I did buy an "extended waranty" that covers the A/C so it's only a matter of parts availability.

Al_in_Philly

Autocross Newbie
P
All. When I set it to HI it does get considerably warmer.
Perhaps, when VW designed the car, they might have figured that since it's the water temp which does the heating, and that takes some time to get going, that they'd use the turbo heat to speed things up a bit; and whatever residual heat picked up by the intake could easily be cooled off by the A/C system. I do remember reading about the intense effort VW put into developing the MQB platform, given how many different cars they intended to build on it, so my guess is that the intake air placement was by design. Or, just possibly, there weren't too many other places to fit the intake.