GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

VWR R600 - Initial impressions and review - Part 1

greatoz

Ready to race!
Just picked up a 2015 Reflex Silver SE 4dr GTI and decided to start modd'ing this beast right out the gate.

To set the stage and the tone for this and following posts, I'm a grown up and interested in TASTEFUL mods that are well integrated, enhance performance, and last the life of the car with minimal touch labor. I'm also incredibly OCD about my cars - previous ownership includes (still have this one) a 2011 Golf, an Infiniti G37S, an Infiniti JX35, various Honda Civics, etc.

So the first set of modifications up were/are the VWR R600 intake, a Spulen turbo intake hose, and a GFB DV+. Figured that since all these parts were under the hood, dealt with induction, and could be done all at once made it a good place to start.

Big box 'o' goodies...

Obligatory box shot

und das Spulen

I wasn't interested in the Injen or Neuspeed mandrel bent options, boxy carbon fiber offerings from APR and AWE seem like lots of flash for little return, and then there's the ephemeral front-spanning multi duct intakes from Forge and others are practically unobtainium right now. This has a stock look, spans the front grill, and is billed as OEM quality.

Also, I'm an F1 fan, so the VWR R600 with it's totally enclosed TriFoam filter was appealing.

I pulled the trigger and got one with SAI from USP Motorsports - and couldn't be happier with the speed of service and packaging they did on this (also got the Spulen intake hose and the GFB DV+ from them as well) - excellent customer service and I'll be back for more from them as this "build" progresses.

So I get this thing via UPS and open it up. Initial impressions? I wasn't. Seems like a HUGE ask in $$$'s for two pieces of molded plastic and a foam filter. I found the thoughtfully included filter maintenance material and a card for inclusion in my vehicle log describing the filter and assuring the authenticity of the part.

What I DIDN'T find are install instructions. Now I'm pretty handy with my cars and am an engineer by trade, but without instructions I had to go the intarwebs to have a look-see with regards to install.

I found the crummy video everyone's seen before. Ugh.

Okay, so I start looking for a way to mount this SAI filter and find zip ties.

Strike two.

Really? For FOUR HUNDRED FORTY NINE DOLLARS MSRP YOU CAN'T PUNCH A HOLE, PROVIDE A SCREW IN BUNG FOR THE OEM SAI HOSE TO CONNECT TO???

Wow. Okay. That...SUCKS. I mean really really sucks. Injection molding tooling costs as much as a small house but FFS, guys, the US market and EPA requirements here really should "encourage" you to include a facility for mounting this re-branded (think APR) SAI filter - you can do better than two zip ties. I'm a grown up with kids, this is a DD, and a zip tie in the bay as a mounting option? That's a non-starter.

About 30 minutes of searching and yep, this is a problem with this intake. If you want the link (singular) I found, PM me. Anyhow.

Sigh. Fantastic. Okay, there's got to be a way to fix this. Only alternative is to send it back and I don't want to do that.

Out comes the Starrett digital caliper, some initial measurements and test fits, and sketch out a solution.

That SAI filter element has an aluminum bung (BTW, the provided SAI's bung is 1.418 inches, or 36.01mm at its widest diameter, both on the bung end and the other side that mates to the filter element) that should you NOT WANT TO ZIP TIE to something in the engine bay would be a PERFECT flush mount with the plastic airbox. I go get a 35mm (closest I could find) insert for my existing hole saw set up, eyeball it, and get after it.

Also important is clearance for this SAI filter element between both the top of the airbox AND the TriFoam element, as well as the ability to get this on and off easily w/o removing the entire airbox.

Measure, eyeball, do that two more times, and then make the cut...

The hole's off my a mil when done, so I use the barrel of the hole saw to burnish the inside of the hole I created. This also deburs it quite nicely.

Test fits ensue. Finally I come up with a good fit, then seal it all up and glue the SAI filter to the inside of the VWR airbox. Pretty happy with the results, it's REALLY close to the stock airbox bung's location in the bay, and it LOOKS GOOD.

Almost didn't glue it in, pretty good friction fit here...also plenty of clearance for the top of the airbox after the silicone sets up.

Clears the TriFoam by 2mm

The top needs a bit of work to get the stock connector to fit, so I grabbed a knife and carved it, then sanded it down - not perfect, but it'll be mostly hidden from view when installed.

That's strike two, mitigated with about 45 minutes worth of work that frankly I shouldn't have to do.

But I digress.

Final bone of contention here is the lack of a seal on the box itself - the plastic will come together nicely as the parts are well molded, but for near enough as to not make any difference 500 bones, a bit of sealing with rubber or silicone would be welcome from the factory - I'm still debating on whether or not to do this with some Lowe's weather stripping and some careful bladework. Strike three.

We'll see - for now I have to let the silicone adhesive set up and won't be able to install until tomorrow.

So to recap:

Pros:
Molding is great
Drain opening is a plus
Filter is pretty fantastic
Includes a certificate of authenticity
Screws are included - not sure what they're for, all internet searches say to re-use the OEM screws

Cons:
Cost for what you get
Lack of instructions
SAI provisions appear to be a complete after-thought for US market
Supplied SAI filter is somewhat flimsy
No seals around the rim of the airbox
Vacuum hose is a bit of a stretch (according to MK1 eyeballs)
Not sure what the included screws are for - internet searches say to re-use the OEM screws

TL, DR Lots of $$$ and if you want a clean stock look, you're modifying the modification.

More to follow post install!

tGo

edit: words

Last edited:

Golfn88

I've got the Injen currently. I like how the SAI and vacuum hose are integrated but after reading about the concerns of heat soak (I live in Florida), I was thinking something like this would be a good choice.

I previously bought the USP Motorsports closed element snorkel intake with the carbon fiber filter body.

I had to return the USP because the welded piece that mounts to the grill didn't match the holes for mounting. Could be a poorly fabricated part (not the most professional looking part), the lack of good instructions, or my stupidity.

Either way I've reverted back to my stock airbox for the summer because and my Injen is sitting in a box.

I wish there was a functional, closed element CAI that didn't care about carbon fiber looks. I'm a function over form kind of guy.

nis240sxt

Ready to race!
Thanks for the great writeup! The price on these intakes are insane and that's why I went with the Roc-Euro pre-order price since it's one of the cheapest for the MK7. Agree 100% that you shouldn't have to mod anything for that price it should be complete!

greatoz

Ready to race!
thanks for the feedback all - I agree, overpriced and way too much to make it better when it should have been awesome out of the box...

blazter

Ready to race!
What about the performance gains? Any buttdyno reactions? =)

farcyde11gti

Ready to race!
I got the vwr600 and have no issues. I think California is one of the only places that requires SAI. It isn't a problem for me anyway.