GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

VW MK7 Paint Quality

VDubber1

Ready to race!
Suffered a stonechip over the weekend and although you have to accept your pride & joy will sustain one of these now and again, I didn't expect the paint to be so brittle, and this is on the top of the bonnet!...not even at the front. I have contacted VWUK to see what they have to say.
Also the deflector/spoiler at the rear is coming off as well [emoji35]

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=W5FYARVW2tI

VDubber1

Ready to race!
Its had more coats of wax than you can wave a stick at!
Ive seen this before and it was due to the paint being baked too long and causing it to go brittle...just have to wait and see what VWUK come back with before I repair it.

VDubber1

Ready to race!
Its easy enough to repair yourself...you just fill up the chip with touchup paint until its above the level of the original paint, then use a small piece of 3000 grade wet & dry (use wet, very wet!) wrapped around a rectangle rubber or a small length of a craftsmans pencil, then gently rub over it till it is flush.
Use a good cutting paste like T-cut to smooth it down then finish off with a quality polish.
It sounds and looks bad at the time but once its polished up you'll never know.

Avanti

Go Kart Champion
Its easy enough to repair yourself...you just fill up the chip with touchup paint until its above the level of the original paint, then use a small piece of 3000 grade wet & dry (use wet, very wet!) wrapped around a rectangle rubber or a small length of a craftsmans pencil, then gently rub over it till it is flush.
Use a good cutting paste like T-cut to smooth it down then finish off with a quality polish.
It sounds and looks bad at the time but once its polished up you'll never know.

On my MK5 , I had a couple of stone chips on the bonnet, the 1st one I tried a technique similar to what you described, from a distance it was invisible, the next one I ust put laquer over it. I hate paint it looks good but always loses the battle against stones :(

Maka344

Ready to race!
The paint on the MK7 is more prone to stone chips.

My mk7 is 3-4 months old with 4k and I have a few stone chips collected on the front. This is off putting really.

VDubber1

Ready to race!
On my MK5 , I had a couple of stone chips on the bonnet, the 1st one I tried a technique similar to what you described, from a distance it was invisible, the next one I ust put laquer over it. I hate paint it looks good but always loses the battle against stones :(
This one is just too big to leave [emoji53]...if you watch the video I linked to you can compare the size of it to my finger...and its about a third up the bonnet so the stone would have just scuffed off it. To take a chunk out at this angle is horrific!

VDubber1

Ready to race!
The paint on the MK7 is more prone to stone chips.

My mk7 is 3-4 months old with 4k and I have a few stone chips collected on the front. This is off putting really.
This is not good...stone chips is acceptable to some degree....but craters - I think not [emoji35]

SonicAaron

Ready to race!
I couldn't sandpaper my car! No way! Do you not scratch it?! I would fill in the chip with paint, then use a credit card or something to skim over the excess or something. I'd be afraid of sanding :(

I saw someone on Instagram going to a car meet and he covered the front of his car in blue masking tape lol. I've a five hour trip coming up here in Ireland when my car comes so I'm already afraid of the inevitable stone chips! Thinking about masking tape haha but surely when you rip the tape off some adhesive stays on, or you rip the paint off

VDubber1

Ready to race!
I couldn't sandpaper my car! No way! Do you not scratch it?! I would fill in the chip with paint, then use a credit card or something to skim over the excess or something. I'd be afraid of sanding :(

I saw someone on Instagram going to a car meet and he covered the front of his car in blue masking tape lol. I've a five hour trip coming up here in Ireland when my car comes so I'm already afraid of the inevitable stone chips! Thinking about masking tape haha but surely when you rip the tape off some adhesive stays on, or you rip the paint off
Not if you use 3000 grade wet & dry and use it WET...its very fine and polishes up afterwards with no swirl marks at all. Its how the body shops do it.

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
Dr. Colorchip is your friend.

They make a clear bra that many MK6 owners out on their cars.

VDubber1

Ready to race!
Anyone know where where I can find the paint code on the GTi? Thought it would be on the drivers door pillar but can't see anything relating to it.

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
Anyone know where where I can find the paint code on the GTi? Thought it would be on the drivers door pillar but can't see anything relating to it.

If you're interested in Dr. Colorchip, and I'm going on the assumption that it is available to you in Scotland - the products website will match the color for you.
If you enter your vehicle make, model, year, the name of the color (Shadow Blue in the case of my MK6) the menu will find your color.
The product works admirably.
You'll be able to find the area after you fix it - depending on what kind of a stickler one is for detail, but for a basic fix on a daily driver car - I am happy with the coiple of spots I touched up.
It's a breeze to use even for a lazy rank amateur like myself.

oldhand

Joined this forum as I have a vw golf se estate 1.4tsi dsg on order with delivery sometime september.After reading many of the threads over the past few days regarding problems with dsg and today this thread regarding paint quality and a spoiler deflector held on by double sided tape Im beginning to doubt the wisdom of my order.
Presently drive a 2012 ford grand Cmax 1.6 diesel and as I was wanting a change I looked round various dealers of different makes before choosing the vw as I believed they were a quality car maker.The ford has given me no problems at all but as I travel a lot less miles than I used to I no longer need a diesel but will need an automatic and that was my main reason for specifying the golf with dsg,I would have went for another ford but fancied a change,hope Im not about to make a big mistake.:(:(