GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

VW Compression Tester - Which Brand/Model?

marauder

Go Kart Newbie
How do you prime the engine for a compression test? I'm coming from and ST, and to prime the engine you'd hold the clutch and gas to the floor then push the start button. That would prime it without firing the injectors. This is how'd we'd could push coolant/oil into the engine without starting as well as pressurize the cylinder for a compression test.

TecklenburgVW

Go Kart Champion
How do you prime the engine for a compression test? I'm coming from and ST, and to prime the engine you'd hold the clutch and gas to the floor then push the start button. That would prime it without firing the injectors. This is how'd we'd could push coolant/oil into the engine without starting as well as pressurize the cylinder for a compression test.
Good question, when I get home I'll search the repair manuals to see.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk

marauder

Go Kart Newbie
On the ST, you just disconnected each coil pack, which you have to do to remove the coil pack anyway. That would prevent the injector from firing.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
On the ST, you just disconnected each coil pack, which you have to do to remove the coil pack anyway. That would prevent the injector from firing.

Thinking back to the days of carburetors, I don't remember removing the carb to do a compression test.

TecklenburgVW

Go Kart Champion
Would be great if there was a way to do this outside of pulling the injector fues or such.

Thinking back to the days of carburetors, I don't remember removing the carb to do a compression test.

One should cut the fuel supply before doing a compression test. Washing down the cylinders and pumping raw fuel around isn't the best idea.

I found the following information pertaining to the CYFB engine code and how to check compression:

3.4 Compression, Checking
Special tools and workshop equipment required
♦ Spark Plug Removal Tool - 3122B-
♦ Compression Tester Kit - VAG1763-
♦ Compression Tester Kit - Adapter - VAG1381/1-
♦ Compression Tester Kit - Adapter 5A - VAG1381/5A

Test Sequence
Note
♦ Engine oil temperature: minimum 30 °C (86 °F)
♦ Battery voltage at least 12.7 V

1. Remove the Engine Cover
  2. Remove the ignition coils
  3. Disconnect the fuel injector connectors
  4. Remove the spark plugs with the Spark Plug Removal Tool
  5. Check the compression using the Compression Tester Kit -
    VAG1763- , Compression Tester Kit - Adapter 1 - VAG1381/1-
    and Compression Tester Kit - Adapter 5A - VAG1381/5A-
  6. Operate the starter until the tester no longer indicates a pressure
    increase.

Compression Pressure​
    New
    11.0 to 14.0 bar (160 to 203 psi)​
    Wear limit
    7.0 bar (101.52 psi)​
    Maximum difference between cylinders 3.0 bar (43.5 psi)
  7. Install the spark plugs.
  8. Install the ignition coils.

Note
    By separating the connections, DTCs will be stored. After the test,
    check the DTC memory and erase, if necessary.

9. Delete DTC entries which were generated during testing. Refer
    to Vehicle Diagnostic Tester .

LeGti

Ready to race!
Pretty sure I saw a setting in VAG-COM for turning the engine over with spark & fuel deactivated.