GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Vs STI

Superfreak

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
‘19 M2C, ‘05 Taco
A friend had an Alpha 4c with aftermarket exhaust that sounded great. I could hear him passing by the house and it always made me happy. Also, there’s a Cayman in my neighborhood that’s sounds pretty good too, though it might be a 6cyl. Pretty sure he has a Fabspeed muffler (at least). I do think that most 4cyl sound like crap, to me anyway.

Charlotte.:R

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'18 Golf R 6MT
G35/G37 also surprisingly slow. The Q60 RS 400 with the 7spd dual clutch is a whole nother story though

I had a FBO 6mt G37 prior to my R and I use to own this same MK7 GTI over and over again on our daily commute. Guessing by the APR stickers he was tuned, but I had no problems in the stoplight Grand Prix. I’m sure he’d probably have pulled on me at higher speeds or from a roll.

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
If by engaging you mean, it brings the 80s turbo lag and gives you time to read some Tolstoy before it hits, yes, very fun to drive.
If by turbo lag you mean high turbo threshold, then yes that's a big part of the punch felt. It is actually quite fun and provides a lot of drama in how power gets delivered. No it's not the fastest thing, yes it's annoying for performance driving, and if you don't know how to drive for it on track it will make for an annoying drive. However, it's that same drama that made the legendary widowmaker...well...legendary...

If you meant actual turbo lag, then the gti/R are also a massive failing as their lag is not much better despite the more advanced turbo design. They're only better because the turbos are smaller, and that's just the function of any turbo engine. NA and supercharged will always be near zero lag, so that's really the way to go for throttle response.

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
I had a FBO 6mt G37 prior to my R and I use to own this same MK7 GTI over and over again on our daily commute. Guessing by the APR stickers he was tuned, but I had no problems in the stoplight Grand Prix. I’m sure he’d probably have pulled on me at higher speeds or from a roll.
I've got a 370z racecar... 2890lbs @ 297whp. There is no gti, R, or other econo-compromised suspension design that can keep up with it. My stage 2 gti can maybe take it from 40-70mph, but the gti stops pulling hard after 110mph and the z keeps pulling to 160 without issue. There is no contest through turns since a double wishbone design is far superior to the mcstrut and nowhere near as limited on camber.

If you don't need rear seats miata>gti/r/sti/anything 4banger

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
It’s cool that you have the two greatest cars of all time. I’m lucky to see such awesomeness.

Superfreak

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
‘19 M2C, ‘05 Taco
STIs can be surprising sometimes.

I had an ats-v and got it tuned. Took it to a dyno for a final revision and was so stoked to see ~550whp/ 550 tq. I was so happy to finally have a 500whp car and I’m cruising home from the dyno shop and what do I see in my rear view…a STI that thinks he’s fast. I let off and l see him coming fast, so I let him come up a bit, hit the accelerator and *zoooooom* he flew right past me, lol! That MF took my ego down quite a few notches, but that was a good thing.

Also, one of the only driver friends that I can’t keep up with drove an STI. The car wasn’t faster but he drives harder than anyone I know and running -3° camber didn’t hurt. He‘s a big autox guy and put a ton of money into that car, only to have it break over and over. He now drives a 95hp rx7 and can still smoke me in the corners, I’d bet (going downhill, anyway).

1684456536373.jpeg

I found another fun memory of my drives with my buddy and his old STI. Anyone care to guess the slowest car? Yep, the F360! To be fair, the Ferrari was on all seasons.

1684540741342.jpeg

Last edited:

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
STIs can be surprising sometimes.

I had an ats-v and got it tuned. Took it to a dyno for a final revision and was so stoked to see ~550whp/ 550 tq. I was so happy to finally have a 500whp car and I’m cruising home from the dyno shop and what do I see in my rear view…a STI that thinks he’s fast. I let off and l see him coming fast, so I let him come up a bit, hit the accelerator and *zoooooom* he flew right past me, lol! That MF took my ego down quite a few notches, but that was a good thing.

Also, one of the only driver friends that I can’t keep up with drove an STI. The car wasn’t faster but he drives harder than anyone I know and running -3° camber didn’t hurt. He‘s a big autox guy and put a ton of money into that car, only to have it break over and over. He now drives a 95hp rx7 and can still smoke me in the corners, I’d bet (going downhill, anyway).

View attachment 281200
The atsv is so surprising. I chased a guy at Hallet who had one on Hoosier R7, good amount of camber, and very clearly tuned. It was freakin fast, and the driver was pretty good too. Made for a lot of fun chasing! Uphill through a really tough section at that track I'd lose traction up hill and almost always drift the corner and he'd just grip and go! Cycled out Hoosier didn't help, but they also wouldn't have made me catch him, lol!

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
It’s cool that you have the two greatest cars of all time. I’m lucky to see such awesomeness.
I'm sorry if my comment came off the wrong way. Just meant to point out that a sports car is a sports car for a reason. Suspension design and balance play a big role. The gti is one of my favorite cars. I've been fortunate to drive a lot of nice cars from friends and people loaning me their vehicles for instruction on track, and I can honestly say the gti is one of the funnest.

EpicTech

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI 6sp w/PP
I use STI's to make sure my car is still healthy lol. I have noticed however, that when I do 3rd gear pulls with one, they always have to shift before I do. A couple have stayed with me in 3rd, but once I am in 4th it's game over lol. I need to do a Dragy again soon.