VCDS cable for $50

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
All the 5 star reviews are just people asking questions lol

mr wrong

Drag Racing Champion
Any time they include the software it's a red flag. Usually it's and older version of VCDS which you probably can't update.

shovelhd

Autocross Champion
obviously, but you think it should still work?
Definitely a fake. The label is a dead giveaway. Will it work? Who knows. It's a fake. You will not be able to subscribe to VCDS with it, but you may be able to use the legacy version. If that works, will you get full functionality? No.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
The listing does include the following, so....

Note:
1.Pls turn off the Anti-virus Software and disconnect internet before installing and using every time , because software was cracked version, can not recognized by Anti-virus software, so some files will be reported to virus, but in fact it is harmless.
2.Systems required: (32bit/64bit) of Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Windows 10 (but not all Win10 can work). Not supported Windows on VM Systems (Parallels, Virtual Box, etc) ,MAC
3.The CD may be easily broken on the way to destination, so if CD can't be readable, please DO CONTACT US to send you download link, DO NOT DISPUTE and Negative Feedback for this.

About Update:
Software can't be updated, if you update it, the cable will be locked, need send to us to repair. thanks.

cb1111

The listing does include the following, so....

Note:
1.Pls turn off the Anti-virus Software and disconnect internet before installing and using every time , because software was cracked version, can not recognized by Anti-virus software, so some files will be reported to virus, but in fact it is harmless.
2.Systems required: (32bit/64bit) of Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Windows 10 (but not all Win10 can work). Not supported Windows on VM Systems (Parallels, Virtual Box, etc) ,MAC
3.The CD may be easily broken on the way to destination, so if CD can't be readable, please DO CONTACT US to send you download link, DO NOT DISPUTE and Negative Feedback for this.

About Update:
Software can't be updated, if you update it, the cable will be locked, need send to us to repair. thanks.
Sure. Turn off anti virus because our hacked software is really benign. You can trust us.

Not only do you get cheap software that won't work, you also get a bit of extra stuff for free - maybe a banking trojan or a cred scraper.

Anybody who buys this is a moron.

blaqsheep

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
IS38 GTI
Don't bother, the malicious software is outdated and using genuine software will brick the cable. Just pick up a used OBD11 that will do majority of what VCDS can do with an easy UI interface, or find a used genuine Ross-Tech cable.

You can always then make some money back by offering coding for a small fee to your local VW/Audi community.

yeahforbes

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 Golf R DSG
I've had good luck buying genuine ones on ebay, first a HEX+CAN which is unlimited VINs but it's slightly outdated for Mk7 in terms of capabilities, and then a HEX-NET with 8 (out of 10) remaining VINs. Major cost savings the fewer remaining VINs it has, but personally I like having more so I can help friends or get another VW without worrying about it.

But on the other hand, buying new (or paying the registration transfer fee) gets you full access to the Ross-Tech forums, which is nice. I've been able to get my issues solved with the small piece of the forum that doesn't require interface registration, though, FWIW.

cb1111

How far technology has come in the last 20 years. My first modern VAG was a 2001 A6 and used software called ProDiag that ran on the PalmOS platform on my Kyocera 6035, then moved to VAG-COM that morphed into VCDS. I still have my original VCDS cable somewhere but, aside from the fact that I can't find it, I needed a new one anyway for my 7.5.

OBD11 seems to be more like ProDiag but their economic model just annoys me.

VCDS is the software that is the market leader and all other companies refer back to them for tweaks.

Nineeightyone

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
20 CX5 19 GTI 10 MZ3
I've tried all sorts of sketchy third-party options (this should be in confessions). But after constantly getting spotty connections, poor performance, and in some instances no activity at all, I broke down and bought a legit Ross-Tech VCDS cable. I've had zero issues, the support is great, and it's really not that expensive -- it's what, a $200 cable for 3 VINs? If you can afford the maintenance on 3 VWs (that know their VINs, older ones do not), you can swing a $200 cable to make diagnostics and tweaking worlds easier. OBD11 changed their pricing model IIRC and I'm not a big fan of that, but it sounds like they're another cheap option if you're really hurting for cash.

I bought a 10-VIN right out of the gate and offer it as assistance to others in my area, because I'm fully intending to get the unlimited VIN sooner rather than later. Bearing that in mind, you could always try the regional forums/facebook groups/etc to see if anyone in your area has VCDS and is willing to help, most folks will only ask that you slide a couple bucks their way or some beer or something.