GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

used car market ... wtf

cb1111

Wouldn’t you kill for a s3/rs3 hatch KILL KILL
sigh.....
Not sure I'm into that chartreuse (or the cross between the Lexus and Honda Civic grill), but yes, an RS3 hatch would be nice. Better yet would be a R wagon...

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Actually, most R's sold for sticker or above. VW discounts, rebates (military, partner, grad etc.) and special financing never applied to the R. Initially, many R's went for well above sticker, after the initial run, many were sold at sticker and it wasn't until stocks dwindled early this year that some dealers started offering tiny discounts.

I don't know if any were even were sold at anything approaching invoice.

I agree.
When I bought my 18 GTI SE there wasn't a dealer in Phoenix who would take anything off the sticker price for an R. They wouldn't even allow test drives of the R.

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
Actually, most R's sold for sticker or above. VW discounts, rebates (military, partner, grad etc.) and special financing never applied to the R. Initially, many R's went for well above sticker, after the initial run, many were sold at sticker and it wasn't until stocks dwindled early this year that some dealers started offering tiny discounts.

I don't know if any were even were sold at anything approaching invoice.

At some point, VW was shipping a lot of 2019 Rs towards the end of the cycle. Some dealers in your area had more than 30 Rs in their inventory. During that time, people were getting them $2 or 3k off sticker (excluding those crazy dealer processing fee). Those discounts stopped once dealers were running out of their inventory.

j255c

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R Manual
The reality is there is a void for atleast a year before the MK8’s come in. The general opinion about the styling is not positive as well. I bet the MK8.5’s will be the ticket.

cb1111

At some point, VW was shipping a lot of 2019 Rs towards the end of the cycle. Some dealers in your area had more than 30 Rs in their inventory. During that time, people were getting them $2 or 3k off sticker (excluding those crazy dealer processing fee). Those discounts stopped once dealers were running out of their inventory.
Kinda-sorta. I was looking at them then, but they were advertised as $4000 off sticker, but that included the three rebates that didn't apply ($1500 - mil/grad/partner) and the 999 destination - so $2500 in discounts that didn't exist - so the real discount was $1500 before you added that $799 processing fee (and $399 [regional adjustment] if you were buying from out of town).

VA dealers make their money on the processing fee. IIRC, the difference between MSRP and invoice was about $1300, so roughly their discount before they made it up in processing.

The big local dealer (Lindsay) has connections to VW (which is just down the street from them), so they get lots of "management cars" that they CPO and often get the new odds and ends. Yes, they had about 30 R's but almost all were manuals.

Reactions: krs

Charlotte.:R

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'18 Golf R 6MT
Summer 2018 was a buyers market for 6mt Rs.

The 2019s had been announced along with the spectrum colors and optional Pretoria wheels. Based on searches something like 2/3 of the remaining inventory was manuals. Because the DSG is probably better.

I paid 37.6 + tax etc.

krs

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MKVIIS R
Window stickers are window stickers. Few cars go for the price on the window sticker. Volkswagens in America DEFINITELY don't go for the price on the window sticker.

Probably went for higher. Not every location is the same. New R’s we’re going for above $40k easily, but does it really matter?

I paid what I paid for mine, as I was comfortable with the price, and the location, and the timeframe I found it. Sure I could have searched far and wide for something $1,000 or 2 less, but time is money, location has value, really it’s up to the buyer on if they feel they received a good deal.

Every buyer wants to pay the least amount, every seller wants to get the most amount. Some day the role will be flipped. We all know prices fluctuate up and down for any consumable item, vehicles included, but the overall trend is up.

The current housing market in some areas are similar. I hear people say man, I could sell my house for so much more money right now. Yep, you sure can, but you’ll be paying so much for with your new house as well.

In the end, pay what you want to pay, sell for what you want to sell.

Charlotte.:R

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'18 Golf R 6MT
Probably went for higher. Not every location is the same. New R’s we’re going for above $40k easily, but does it really matter?

I paid what I paid for mine, as I was comfortable with the price, and the location, and the timeframe I found it. Sure I could have searched far and wide for something $1,000 or 2 less, but time is money, location has value, really it’s up to the buyer on if they feel they received a good deal.

Good point, location has a lot to do with it too. So Cal and the west coast is going to be higher than the SE.

Mk_GTI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
When I was R shopping mid-summer 2019, there were maybe three or four Mk7.5 CPO cars for sale within a 500 mile radius and maybe 30 new 2019's. The dealers were not dealing too much off MSRP and the car I bought was a great deal at the time since I used the growing inventory of new cars as a reason to get a better deal for this CPO car. That changed for a bit as VW shipping a bunch of '19 R's late in the year, but the prices went back to MSRP.

Didn't seem like dealers had much trouble selling them for sticker price.