GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

US Waiting List?

CSteelGrrl

Ready to race!
Yes I can see how you made that up from his words - he was drawing an analogy to the Beetle GSR limited numbers. Crafty! Nevertheless knowing you have first dibs on one of the first Rs in your area is almost worth the $ 500. No doubt when it arrives there will be many more potential owners lining up behind you after a year of positive reviews. Great car. You won't be disappointed!
Now most importantly - what color are you thinking about?

The Ringer

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2007 GTI
Now most importantly - what color are you thinking about?

Good question. I'm a big fan of white--especially with black accents (I have owned two white GTIs). I also like black, but after my last car, decided that it was too high-maintenance. Gray seems like a good compromise between the two, but I haven't seen VW's gray, so I don't know.

Or....does Golf R (R32) tradition require that I get the blue???

Good thing I have time to think....

-The Ringer

mason1

New Golf R

Guy's have a look at this

VOLKSWAGEN GOLF HATCHBACK 2.0 TSI R 5dr :)

It's advertised at a 2year deal, deposit of £1,139.94 +vat

And it's £189.99 +vat

Personal is just plus the vat by the looks of things.

It's advertised on google under applied leasing. :cool::eek:

GGray

Ready to race!
ehhh you did READ the thread says US= United States waiting list..

Chr15b

Ready to race!
Guy's have a look at this

VOLKSWAGEN GOLF HATCHBACK 2.0 TSI R 5dr :)

It's advertised at a 2year deal, deposit of £1,139.94 +vat

And it's £189.99 +vat

Personal is just plus the vat by the looks of things.

It's advertised on google under applied leasing. :cool::eek:

Hi Jessica

Oluwa67

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2016 Golf GTI
So I tried to go reserve a Golf R at my dealership yesterday and they said I can't do that kinda mad about this because I will have this car, but other than the guy who said he did was anyone else successful in this venture.

VW-TX

Go Kart Champion
So I tried to go reserve a Golf R at my dealership yesterday and they said I can't do that kinda mad about this because I will have this car, but other than the guy who said he did was anyone else successful in this venture.
You can't till the dealer has information on them released.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

The thing that busted my chops about cars in the US in my 10 years there, is that there is nothing preventing a dealership from putting a mark up on a car.
When the new Mustang (meaning with the new retro shape) came out in '04 they were all charging $5k on top of MSRP. It took me forever to find one that didn't have a mark up (forget about discounts though), but at the end I did it (I mean i found a GT with no mark up).

I wonder if the R, given its premium nature in the Golf line up and I imagine lower availability in the US, will command a mark up and how much. Knowing the dealerships' greed, I imagine $5k easily...

Last edited:

GTITX1

Ready to race!
The thing that busted my chops about cars in the US in my 10 years there, is that there is nothing preventing a dealership from putting a mark up on a car.
When the new Mustang (meaning with the new retro shape) came out in '04 they were all charging $5k on top of MSRP. It took me forever to find one that didn't have a mark up (forget about discounts though), but at the end I did it.

I wonder if the R, given its premium nature in the Golf line up and I imagine lower availability in the US, will command a mark up and how much. Knowing the dealerships' greed, I imagine $5k easily...

Never going to happen with the R. Much more likely with the S3. Most Americans are too image conscious to pay nearly $40k for a Golf, but will have no issue with paying 50k for essentially the same car because it has the 4 rings. Of course this is all market effected as well. I was looking at R's for a bit in the DFW area, and there were plenty to be had thousands under MSRP.

Never going to happen with the R. Much more likely with the S3. Most Americans are too image conscious to pay nearly $40k for a Golf, but will have no issue with paying 50k for essentially the same car because it has the 4 rings. Of course this is all market effected as well. I was looking at R's for a bit in the DFW area, and there were plenty to be had thousands under MSRP.

Yeah, I think you are right. VW are not terribly popular there, with the Golf being even further down the line (in MA you would see mostly Jetta's, new Beetle's, some Passat's, CC's and Touareg's. Golf's... Very few, never mind R's).

With R money, your average performance-oriented US buyer will probably either go domestic (Mustang/Camaro) or go down the Japanese route (WRX STi/Evo). Or indeed, for a bit more money, Audi which is very popular there (tons of Bimmers too).

Well, who am I kidding...at $41.4k, I too would probably enter an Audi dealership with a grin on my face and a wallet that wants to jump out of my pocket by itself! :D
I love my R to bits, but that Audi S3 Sedan is a looker. Not fond of the hatchback version or the convertible, but the Sedan...drooling...

UBRGTI1

I doubt they will get one car per dealer.. NO WAY VW US would go through the trouble of getting the car federalized to bring in one per dealer...

It would be nice if they do both two and four door..

I know the feeling we had our first one in 07 I was driving M3's and my wife had a 325i... Once the little guy got old enough to walk but not able to climb in and out I stopped driving the M3 daily it is a huge PITA to get a small child in and out of a two door car. SO I can understand and feel your pain... My wife also cannot drive a manual... When we had number two 6 months ago we bought a Subaru Tribeca for the family truckster.. We rarely use my car to go anywhere even though it is a E46 touring. according to my wife its to low and rides rough :D picture attached

Sounds like you guys need to trade in your wives in for the manual driving model! (JK) I feel for you, I am very lucky and have a wife that has only ever owned manuals & refuses to buy an auto. She even hated the DSG, which I am actually a fan of, tho I have only ever owned manuals myself.
I have permission to get a mk7 4 door GTI, but I am currently in negotiations for the mk7 4 door Golf R (manual of course) Even if I lose that arguement, I hardly feel like a MK7 GTI is a consolation prize!

Also love the wagon. Hope you are planning on keeping it. Are those wheels aftermarket or factory? I feel like I have seen them on an M3 or M5 before. Newer BMW wheels look great on older models. I had an E36 328 sedan & had first gen M5 wheels on it. Looked way better than the M3 wheels IMO.

Optical TDI

In the interest of full disclosure, see below for the exact quote from my salesman:

"Great hearing from you again! We will be getting at least one [2015 Golf R] (coming from VW rep) much like the 2014 Beetle GSR (only 3500 units). In order to get on the list, we would simply take a deposit (credit card over the phone is fine) and then we can put you on the list as the person who would get ours (currently you would be first on the list, I know there are several others who are interested in them). Let me know what you would like to do and I will handle the rest! Thanks again!"

So, I guess he never really explicitly says the Golf R will be limited to a small production...I guess I sort of made that part up in my head. Funny how you hear what you want to hear.

-The Ringer

Did you agree to pay no more than MSRP or a % discount off MSRP?

naddie

My local VW dealer says they aren't taking preorders for the Golf R. I tend to believe the honest dealers will not take a preorder right now since it's too far into the future. The ones who want to lock you in will grab a down payment.

Sure it's refundable, but a sale person's mentality is this:

1. Down payment means buyer is serious.
2. It's a soft lock-in/close.
3. You're not making interest on that down payment, the dealer is.
4. It looks good in the boss's eyes.
5. Easier to convince you to stay with this dealer if you found something else or same car somewhere else.

Instead, they took my name and number. They called me when the GTI came in (DSG only at the time). I got called again to be informed they expect the GTI 6-speed to be in around Aug. They know I'm interested in the R, but they also know I want to try out the GTIs to whet my appetite. :)

It helps a bit that they know I'm also cross shopping the WRX and STI which is a dealership right next door to them, and that I said I want to wait until I get to drive all options before I make my decision.

I am also waiting for one of our lucky fellow R owners overseas to dyno their bone stock R. I'm interested to see what it actually makes to the wheels.

Last edited: