GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Unitronic Stage 2 inspection woes

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Interesting. I wonder what is APR doing differently with their tunes.
They aren't dicking with the O2 sensor anymore - they are all setup effectively for a stock DP (from an O2 sensor/readiness standpoint) - that's why.

berfles

Ready to race!
Car(s)
'16 GTI PP, 94 RX-7
Ok so coming back to this, is there a link to the exact straight spacer I need? The spacer thread says the one he recommended was discontinued unless I just missed another one somewhere in that thread.

Also, from what I remember, the O2 sensor is facing more up into the car so this doesn't sound like it's going to be fun without a lift.

nok513

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 VW GTI S
Ok so coming back to this, is there a link to the exact straight spacer I need? The spacer thread says the one he recommended was discontinued unless I just missed another one somewhere in that thread.

Also, from what I remember, the O2 sensor is facing more up into the car so this doesn't sound like it's going to be fun without a lift.
The one I have on my ARM catted DP looks like this. I bought it off Ebay last year but it doesn't look like it's available anymore. With the middle insert, I was able to set readiness, but of course you would have to find the insert that works best for you.

There's an open thread on this topic on the forum somewhere.

1649690497080.png

dsgvw

Ready to race!
I bought a generic j style spacer off eBay. Tried the middle insert first and once flashed to stock doesn’t throw any CELs over 100s of miles. I’m also in PA and inspection coming soon so I wanted to get it squared away this winter and it seems to have done the trick. Running stage II Unitronic with ARM catted DP and j style spacer for comparison.

Best of luck!

berfles

Ready to race!
Car(s)
'16 GTI PP, 94 RX-7
Thanks guys, got it from EMD as the Canadian place wanted $20 to ship. Should be here Monday. I wonder what the odds are that I can get to this thing from the top of the car, due the to positioning of it there's no way to do it from the bottom without half unbolting the DP, and that's not going to fly. I had a nightmare of a time getting that Vband connection tight, I really don't want to be yanking anything around.

nok513

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 VW GTI S
Thanks guys, got it from EMD as the Canadian place wanted $20 to ship. Should be here Monday. I wonder what the odds are that I can get to this thing from the top of the car, due the to positioning of it there's no way to do it from the bottom without half unbolting the DP, and that's not going to fly. I had a nightmare of a time getting that Vband connection tight, I really don't want to be yanking anything around.
I reinstalled my factory dp and was able to install the sensor after the do was mounted. Pain the ass to do it, but it's possible. You might be able to get the spacer in by hand from below or through the opening by the passenger side wheel. Not sure where the bung is on that pipe but you can play around getting it from different locations and extensions.
Good luck, let us know how it works out.

berfles

Ready to race!
Car(s)
'16 GTI PP, 94 RX-7
I reinstalled my factory dp and was able to install the sensor after the do was mounted. Pain the ass to do it, but it's possible. You might be able to get the spacer in by hand from below or through the opening by the passenger side wheel. Not sure where the bung is on that pipe but you can play around getting it from different locations and extensions.
Good luck, let us know how it works out.

The Unitronic uses the same location as stock as far as I know... I can feel it from the top, so I'm hoping I can get to it that way. Didn't think about taking the wheel area apart, that could work too. I just need to get under it and feel around from above when it's not hot so I can get a gauge of what I can do.

1649859859423.png

nok513

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 VW GTI S
The Unitronic uses the same location as stock as far as I know... I can feel it from the top, so I'm hoping I can get to it that way. Didn't think about taking the wheel area apart, that could work too. I just need to get under it and feel around from above when it's not hot so I can get a gauge of what I can do.

View attachment 245833
You don't have to take it apart, there's and opening where you can get a good part of your arm through to get to the bung. After looking at the image, you should be able to do it without taking anything out. It'll be tight and uncomfortable but you do it. It's easier with an aftermarket dp to take it out and put back in compared to factory. If the O2 sensor is on there right, you might have enough leverage from below. If you have the O2 socket and some extensions, you can break it loose from above.

berfles

Ready to race!
Car(s)
'16 GTI PP, 94 RX-7
Ok, so a bit of a resurrection as I finally got the tools I needed. Removing was pretty simple with a wobble extension, but I have questions about the actual install as I've never messed with these before.

Obviously the sensor threads into the actual spacer, but then the little restrictors... where do they go and what is the retaining ring for? Only thing I can think of is the inserts go in the end (duh) and that snap ring fits inside kind of crudely to keep it from falling out. The insert rattles around though which doesn't seem right to me.

EDIT: Tried installing it, car idled for maybe 2 minutes and then stalled out. Is it too restrictive now? I used the middle insert.

Attachments

• PXL_20220603_000546716.jpg
    PXL_20220603_000546716.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 44
Last edited:

nok513

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 VW GTI S
Ok, so a bit of a resurrection as I finally got the tools I needed. Removing was pretty simple with a wobble extension, but I have questions about the actual install as I've never messed with these before.

Obviously the sensor threads into the actual spacer, but then the little restrictors... where do they go and what is the retaining ring for? Only thing I can think of is the inserts go in the end (duh) and that snap ring fits inside kind of crudely to keep it from falling out. The insert rattles around though which doesn't seem right to me.

EDIT: Tried installing it, car idled for maybe 2 minutes and then stalled out. Is it too restrictive now? I used the middle insert.
After installing the insert into the spacer, you're supposed to pinch the retainer clip above the insert to keep the insert from moving. Looking at that pic, that insert looks like the large one. Do you have a pic of the rest?

berfles

Ready to race!
Car(s)
'16 GTI PP, 94 RX-7
After installing the insert into the spacer, you're supposed to pinch the retainer clip above the insert to keep the insert from moving. Looking at that pic, that insert looks like the large one. Do you have a pic of the rest?
Yeah I pushed the clip in there but it still moved around... And this was the middle sized insert, not the largest... I realized the post above said middle but I think that meant the middle one in the photo, not the middle size.

Attachments

• PXL_20220603_002322772.jpg
    PXL_20220603_002322772.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 42

nok513

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 VW GTI S
Yeah I pushed the clip in there but it still moved around... And this was the middle sized insert, not the largest... I realized the post above said middle but I think that meant the middle one in the photo, not the middle size.

That looks right. It will have some play, as long as you can flip the sensor upside down without it falling out, you should be good. You have a crush washer between the spacer and sensor then another between spacer and dp. If you're doing all that, you should be all set.

It shouldn't be too restrictive though to cause it to stall out. Are you able to log for codes?