GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Unitronic Stage 2 Ecu/Tcu feedback

bobyjane1234

Passed Driver's Ed
Hello,

Currently have stage 1 Ecu + Tcu on the car for over 1 week. It’s been nothing but awesome.

I am going stage 2 with Unitronic turboback next week. I do not
Have an upgraded intercooler. Does anyone have any experience with this tune on a stock IC ? (Heat soak)

Any feedback on the tune itself would be awesome compared to stage 1. I know it has more high end power. Stage 1 the 2nd gear is where I find myself in the most. I’m assuming stage 2 would be comparable but in 3rd ?

I contact Unitronic and their benchmark on their website we’re all done on stock parts. ((DV, fuel pump, IC, plugs, etc)

Down the line an IC is first in the must do’s. Can anyone else chime in ?

Mods done are :
BFI stage 1 tranny and motor mounts
HPA pendulum mount + torque arm
CTS Intake/turbo muffler delete/turbo inlet

The rest of the mods wouldn’t be affected by the tune.

Thanks in advance.

J
:D
(P.s I am reading the search results as well)

A_granto1

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Mk5 GTI
I’ve been stage 2 with stock intercooler for about 10k miles! It’s a very subtle jump from stage 1 to stage 2. But the power is more linear through the rev range and yes, 3d gear is the money slot

It’s still been cold here in Pittsburgh PA so I can’t speak on the heat soak aspect of the tune yet, but I know stock in the summer was very noticeable

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bobyjane1234

Passed Driver's Ed
Ty for the input!

I’ve been stage 2 with stock intercooler for about 10k miles! It’s a very subtle jump from stage 1 to stage 2. But the power is more linear through the rev range and yes, 3d gear is the money slot

It’s still been cold here in Pittsburgh PA so I can’t speak on the heat soak aspect of the tune yet, but I know stock in the summer was very noticeable

Juggar

Ready to race!
I am uni stage 2.

Trust me man, you need an intercooler or it will pull timing up top hard. And thats where you NEED it the most.

You wont realize how bad off you were until you get an intercooler upgrade.

I went with APR and the difference was night and day on a warmed up car. I got into my car after they got done test driving it at the dealer and I knew how it felt normally when up to temp. I got out on to the highway and it was "wow, where was this power hiding?"

CaptainRatty

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
Yes, you definitely need an intercooler to make stage 2 power safely and consistently.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Depends upon the ambient temperature. Remember an IC doesn't make more power it helps keep you from losing power after the ambient temperature gets hot or if tracking the car.

bobyjane1234

Passed Driver's Ed
Ty all, will get one ahead of schedule then :)

Cheers

2013R

Drag Race Newbie
love my Uni stage 2 engine+dsg. It's flawless and never needs touching. I even run a small E85 blend on it (average E25) and zero hiccups ever.

vincevtr

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
I only have the uni stage 2 tune, no tcu. with stock IC. power is linear, pulls all the way to the top. For IC, it depends where you live, I live in Ontario where we get 25+ degrees celsius for maybe 4months a year. I do pulls twice or so during my drives, no noticeable loss in power. I do most of my spirited driving in the night anyways. If you live in an area where on average is more hot and humid i would suggest an IC. and yes, 3rd year is gear of the year.

CaptainRatty

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
I only have the uni stage 2 tune, no tcu. with stock IC. power is linear, pulls all the way to the top. For IC, it depends where you live, I live in Ontario where we get 25+ degrees celsius for maybe 4months a year. I do pulls twice or so during my drives, no noticeable loss in power. I do most of my spirited driving in the night anyways. If you live in an area where on average is more hot and humid i would suggest an IC. and yes, 3rd year is gear of the year.

And 4th is just as great, but the middle of 4th is jail time.

Juggar

Ready to race!

You'll notice the difference an intercooler makes if you drive on the highway at all. It was 49 degrees F the day I got mine installed and it made a big difference as soon as I got back out onto the highway.

You think you dont need one until you try it.

Yeah, for a 10 min commute to work you wont feel it but other than that you will.

bobyjane1234

Passed Driver's Ed

I’m in Alberta, it doesn’t get humid here but our summer can be 30+C.
I’ll still get stage 2 but before summer is here invest in their IC. Apparently they
Are out of stock until mid April :(

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
I went Uni Stage 1+ 2 days ago and I'm already feeling the need for an IC. Granted, I only experience timing pull at 4.6-4.8K in 2nd gear, but it's pretty consistent. It just hiccups there almost every time. I don't like that :)

A_granto1

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Mk5 GTI
I went Uni Stage 1+ 2 days ago and I'm already feeling the need for an IC. Granted, I only experience timing pull at 4.6-4.8K in 2nd gear, but it's pretty consistent. It just hiccups there almost every time. I don't like that :)

Oh shit.... no lie I kind of thought that was traction control but I never looked down to look at the “traction control indicator” wow I really do need an intercooler

bobyjane1234

Passed Driver's Ed

Out of curiosity what does timing pull feel like ? It’s not really something that you can feel in the butt Dino correct ? Or do you actually feel the loss of pogner due to ignition timing ?

You would need to collect and analyze data to actually see the issue ?

I’m on S1 and don’t feel any power loss all the way though the power band. There are slot of parameters that would need to be included regardless of what stage you are on.

Interesting