GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Unitronic Stage 1+ ECU & TCU Mini Review

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Ready to race!
Hello! I've been reading these forums since I picked up my MK7 exactly a year ago, but refrained from posting since I clearly had a lot to learn. And big thanks to all the knowledgeable people here who have contributed to my education.

My last performance car was an E30 BMW, which I wrenched on a lot, but was a vastly different animal.

Anyway, once I hit 20,000 miles, I reasoned I was in the clear from major factory defects, so I picked up a Uniconnect from ModdedEuros along with a Stage 1+ ECU/TCU combo. 93 octane is prevalent here in southern New England and I didn't mind the cost. I considered APR, Eurodyne, and the JB1, but settled on Unitronic because of the good experience I had chatting with their techs at Waterfest last year. Another major consideration was the experience my friend has had with his pre-facelift CC. He's currently Stage 2 and pondering a big turbo setup. He is an old DSM guy and spent some time building race cars for formula two or three (or something). Anyway, he knows more about turbos than I do, which at first seemed like the spawn of satan to me (Think Porsche guys and water cooling).

Anyway, I saw the light.

The car terrified me at first because it had more power than my old E30 straight six and all the power and weight was over the front wheels. I did not grab the PP, which I do regret slightly.

Blah blah, anyway, I got used to the driving dynamics after a while and I absolutely love this damned thing. Nimble, efficient, good at just about everything, but something was missing... More power!

I flashed the engine tune first and the change was dramatic. Driving in D and S were not really an option without the TCU tune, as the shift points were not right (I tried, very weird). In manual mode however, the thing takes off like a rocket and spins the OEM all seasons in the first three gears. The car terrifies me again, and I consider that a huge win :D

The TCU tune evens everything out, and makes driving in D and S much more enjoyable. S no longer holds 3500-4000 RPMs eternally and D maintains it's smooth clutch engagement. The car is great at choosing the right gear under throttle when I'm not in the mood to paddle shift, and even S will select 6 when you are cruising on the highway now. My TCU box had some potential for issues but they made sure I was aware beforehand and John@Unitronic walked me through all the precautions over the phone. He even contacted me once the software indicated to them that the flash completed successfully. Both flashes went through the first time without a hitch.

The software interface is pretty damn slick, and the instruction as you go through the flashing process is top notch. Very, very happy with how this turned out... in fact...

Last edited:

Mk7VW

Banned
Awesome review. I been waiting for them to release the 2016 tunes.

Mk7VW

Banned
Post a video of the instrumental cluster at wide open throttle. Im curious to see how quick it picks up.

MK7.5_Roa

Ready to race!
Dude this is an awesome review that conclusion was well done [emoji1419] Please please update this with impressions as the time passes because Unitronic is my top choice for a tune.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Ready to race!
Dude this is an awesome review that conclusion was well done [emoji1419] Please please update this with impressions as the time passes because Unitronic is my top choice for a tune.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the kind words!

I definitely will update, especially once I get some real rubber on these wheels.

gn4rwhals

Go Kart Champion
I've had an overall great experience with Unitronic staff, I talked with them at H20i a couple years ago, then seemed more than willing to show off what they had been working on for the MK7.

Which reminds me, I've almost had this car for 2 years now....

AtlantaDad

Drag Race Newbie
Awesome review! Looking forward to updates as well. Can't wait for 2016s to get unlocked. Great color choice too! ;)

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Bawlti

Ready to race!
Great review thanks!

Also waiting for the 2016s to get unlocked. I'm not complaining, I had a great time with the JB1 for 6 months now.

I live 10 minutes away from Unitronic head office, I will definitely go with them.

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Ready to race!
I've had an overall great experience with Unitronic staff, I talked with them at H20i a couple years ago, then seemed more than willing to show off what they had been working on for the MK7.

An early adopter! Did you end up having any issues with the turbo in that earlier revision? I suspect I'm a G and not a T, but I haven't gotten around to confirming yet. How are the squeaks and rattles in the second year? I'm curious if the MK7 will be improved over previous generations in that department.

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Ready to race!
Awesome review! Looking forward to updates as well. Can't wait for 2016s to get unlocked. Great color choice too! ;)

Thanks! I went into the dealer ready to talk features and numbers and all that, but once I saw it... it just had to be the night blue.

Great review thanks!

Also waiting for the 2016s to get unlocked. I'm not complaining, I had a great time with the JB1 for 6 months now.

I live 10 minutes away from Unitronic head office, I will definitely go with them.

That close? Such a tease! The JB1 seems great, they had a great reputation amongst the BMW folks I used to hang out with.

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Ready to race!
Great review. Really does make it a whole new car. Remember when we first did our MK7 Project car with it, just makes you smile ear to ear

Appreciate the business as well :)

Btw for anyone else interested we have all specs/details onsite
https://www.moddedeuros.com/volkswagen/golf-gti/mk7-2015/tuning

I ordered on a Sunday evening, aided in my decision by some liquid boldness, and you emailed to confirm my VIN that night.

I think I had everything that following Wednesday. All in all I couldn't be happier, thanks for that :)

John@Unitronic

Go Kart Champion
Nick — Thanks for taking the time to post your feedback. Glad you're enjoying our ECU and TCU Performance Software!

I been waiting for them to release the 2016 tunes.

Can't wait for 2016s to get unlocked. Great color choice too! ;)

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Also waiting for the 2016s to get unlocked.

Damn I want in. When will the software be out for the 2016's?

Working on it! Thanks for everyone's patience.

Thanks for your feedback!