GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Ugh! EPC/CEL (MK7.5 R dsg Uni 1+)

new R Fan 2018

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
MK7.5 R
So I got the dreaded EPC/CEL lights on way to work last night as I was accelerating up on ramp to highway speeds. Nothing extreme just normal acceleration. Then BAM! car starts shuddering, infotainment panel begins flickering off/on at first I thought it was a wheel issue. Hazards on pulled over, wheels looked ok. Turned off car turned back on no more lights appeared and everything seemed normal again. But as I get BACK on the highway and start accelerating it happens again. I was driving in D mode and the car didn’t wanna downshift like it was keeping the revs WAY LOW as I’m sure to protect the engine or something. From searching online apparently it goes into limp mode during those times. Luckily I was able to “ limp” into work. Took it straight to the dealer right after work this morning. Only CEL was on, no EPC. Car idled ok, but still seemed jittery on highway speeds so I just kept it at speed limit. Dealer said possible faulty injector on cyl.#4 and could be bad coil pack or plug. They advised that I have it flashed BACK to stock and if it continues to be a problem then they will re RE-SCAN it and send the diagnostics to VW for warranty repair. In other words they don't want it TD1'd and have the warranty voided, they'd rather it be covered under warranty(in stock form) since they DID NOT send the scanned data logs to the VW warranty dept. They actually seem fairly tuner friendly if you ask me, and they aren't even going to charge me the $160 diagnostic fee. They're gonna give me the codes they pulled. At first they were gonna change cylinder 4 coil pack and/or spark plug to see if that was causing the misfire. They also suggested that it could be bad injector, again due to tune and quoted $1100 to replace. I spoke with my local European tuner shop(FSTuning) that flashed it and told them what was going on. They seem to think it's just a bad coil pack on #4 and also suggested upgrading my spark plugs so the ECU knows it's dealing with MUCH more power than factory tune. So I'm gonna take it there tomorrow to replace the coil pack and install upgraded spark plugs. Hopefully that'll resolve the issue🤞I also contacted Unitronic about my issues. They said it's the current version tune and haven't seen misfire issues from it, and also suggested upgrading coil packs and spark plugs to better suit the added power so the car knows what it's "dealing with". I'm a total noob as it pertains to tuned cars and such so I'm learning on the go these past few months since adding the Uni stg 1+ tune. I realize I gotta "pay to play" when it comes to boosting your car's power and FUN mode, it's DEF an addicting feeling😃. Wife doesn't understand BUT no surprise there. So THAT'S where it stands now. We'll see what happens after it gets upgraded plugs and coil pack. Should I go ahead and just get ALL 4 packs upgraded? IDK They(FSTuning) quoted me $40/ea for coil packs and $20/ea. for plugs.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I would flash back to stock and let the dealer handle it if it's a warranty problem. You could buy the parts you said and still have the problem. It hasn't been definitively diagnosed yet.

new R Fan 2018

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
MK7.5 R
I would flash back to stock and let the dealer handle it if it's a warranty problem. You could buy the parts you said and still have the problem. It hasn't been definitively diagnosed yet.
I can't read your post. Can you?

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I can't read your post. Can you?

I had switched to a black theme so the background would be black and the lettering white so it would be easier to read for me and didn't think that it would change what I typed.

What I said was that since the dealer is willing to fix it if you flash back to stock temporarily I would do that before throwing money at parts you may not need.

new R Fan 2018

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
MK7.5 R
Codes: P130A00/Hide cylinder passive/sporadic.

P040400/ cyl 4 misfire detected.

Installed upgraded Denso IKH24 plugs x4 and new ignition coil(cyl#4) No CEL on the drive home and seemed back to normal. Hoping it STAYS that way.

Last edited: