GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Tyre Pressure Monitoring System

Stripey

Ready to race!
It's legal, but not a great idea. Driving normally shouldn't be a problem. These sensors are in the valves and I've had a knackered one in a company car, cost a bomb to replace!

Anyway, to the OP, arbitrarily running higher psi to account for varied loads, in summer your tyres will be over 40 psi!! I'd recommend dropping down and allowing for heat a little.

I assumed the tyre fitters would know what they're doing?!

Always wondered how the car picks up pressure changes. Quite clever. I will lower my pressures to 33 then I think. Thanks.

OhViennaaaa

Lol at tyre fitters knowing what they are doing, most haven't got a clue and/or can't be bothered anyway. With some exceptions, I've used a particular garage to check the geometry and tyres on all my cars, and they know and care, about their work.

OhViennaaaa

Ps, I don't think I've ever had tyres changed in a company car and the tyres come back with the correct pressures

Stripey

Ready to race!
I tend to only use ATS these days after a particularly bad experience in Kwik Fit a few years ago. I've found ATS to be pretty good at several different branches so can't complain.

On the business park where I work, about once or twice a year a guy from ATS comes around the car parks and checks every car (for free) and leaves a note on the windscreen with the condition assessment of your tyres. Good business for them as they offer to come back in a few days and change tyres in the car park which appeals to the lazy people. The businesses like it as its seen as promoting health and safety doing proactive tyre checks!

DW58

Go Kart Champion
I too have had horror-experiences with Kwik-Fit whose fitters are far from quick and extremely dim - I find ATS to be excellent.

Gerry

Ready to race!
I'm guessing the system VW use doesn't detect a loss of air until you move the car so it may be an idea to glance at your tyres before setting off each morning.

DW58

Go Kart Champion
Yup - I was taught the old pilot's check of "Kick the tyres then light the fires". Always to a visual walk around first, it's amazing how much a tyre can go down overnight.

Gerry

Ready to race!
I'm definitely not a "belt and braces" man .... that one time I didn't check.....I moved into heavy traffic .....realised I had a puncture straight away but I had to drive 100m before I could park safely and tend to the flat wheel.

Gerry

Ready to race!
Yup - I was taught the old pilot's check of "Kick the tyres then light the fires". Always to a visual walk around first, it's amazing how much a tyre can go down overnight.

I often wondered where the tyre kickers came from :D

OhViennaaaa

I've always a decent quality gauge and check myself every week, and found the car monitor to be accurate, which can't be said for petrol stations and so called experts in tyre places.

DW58

Go Kart Champion
Me too, I've got a small electronic pressure gauge which can be set to your own pressure so all I have to do is slip it into the valve and it beeps if under/over pressure - again I check it once a week.

Genegenie

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
VW Golf
And me, I don't find the tyre pressure monitor to be the most accurate measuring device in the world however. Until you get on the main road to my work there are mostly left hand bends, usually covered in ice, moss or dew so are often a bit greasy. One time the car skidded a little more than usual on one corner, felt a bit strange in a straight line and no wonder as the left front tyre was down 6psi, the TPM did nothing. Another time on a motorway it suddenly bleeped like a demented piglet, the car felt ok but I pulled over and found both fronts to be down by less than 1psi....

Gerry

Ready to race!
And me, I don't find the tyre pressure monitor to be the most accurate measuring device in the world however. Until you get on the main road to my work there are mostly left hand bends, usually covered in ice, moss or dew so are often a bit greasy. One time the car skidded a little more than usual on one corner, felt a bit strange in a straight line and no wonder as the left front tyre was down 6psi, the TPM did nothing. Another time on a motorway it suddenly bleeped like a demented piglet, the car felt ok but I pulled over and found both fronts to be down by less than 1psi....

Your post has got me to wondering how the system knows the difference between wheel slippage and lesser rolling circumference ?