GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Tyre issues for 2nd time in a year

MarcA

Ready to race!
Had vibration issues in the car on and off for a year with nobody being able to find the source. Well after running the tyre pressures at 36psi on the rear here was the result after a few long journeys.. needless to say I have changed from dunlop now.
New rear shocks and alignment being done tomorrow.
Difficult to see in thr pics but this is a raised section with some metal showing , raised about 6mm from the other side of the tyre alone.
This is the 2nd of the rears to do this.

Attachments

• 20161203_103856-756x1008.jpg
    20161203_103856-756x1008.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 240
  • 20161203_103900-756x1008.jpg
    20161203_103900-756x1008.jpg
    150.2 KB · Views: 242

MarcA

Ready to race!
That is bad de-lamination, was the tyre hot, looks like it has been bouncing along the road due to it being way out of balance maybe?

Been balanced by a number of garages previously. Until the budge nobody could find any issues at all. But obviously it could be felt through the car. I had them off myself and previously changed one that had slight abnormal wear.. but as nothing could be seen on the others they weren't changed. I did swap for the spare a couple of times but it never made much difference (as two were causing the issue)

The raised area was also bubbling on the surface. Like driving a new car at the minute but once shocks are changed I will be keeping an eye on the wear pattern.

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
Not normal wear I think.
Looks like tire has several issues.
Riding on inside edge. You see side to side wear variation.
The cracking is a compound issue I think. Is this a summer tire? Pattern looks like it. Driven any in cold weather?
The hump is on the worn side and might be belt edge separation. This might be due to tire riding inside edge and building heat. Heat can cause belt edge rubber to boil and seperate.
Would be interesting to cut tire open at this location and see what failure was.
I would switch brand as you stated, and find a great alignment/balance shop.

MarcA

Ready to race!
Not normal wear I think.
Looks like tire has several issues.
Riding on inside edge. You see side to side wear variation.
The cracking is a compound issue I think. Is this a summer tire? Pattern looks like it. Driven any in cold weather?
The hump is on the worn side and might be belt edge separation. This might be due to tire riding inside edge and building heat. Heat can cause belt edge rubber to boil and seperate.
Would be interesting to cut tire open at this location and see what failure was.
I would switch brand as you stated, and find a great alignment/balance shop.

4 wheel alignment being done after rear shocks are replaced for bilstein tomorrow at VW dealership. I've been told by loads of tyre shops all modern vag ride the inner edges down..
They are all season tyres, generally fine in UK winters.