GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Turbo flutter because of unplugged DV safe?

Hollywood0220

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
German/Japanese
That is the compressor wheel slowing down with air from the wrong direction. The shaft will be toast.
Rallycar teams will opt for this because they run a turbo for one race and have the budget to rebuild The set-up including the turbo.

Reactions: q74

(R)Rated

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
If you start causing bearing damage and bits of your turbine wheel start chipping off, they can actually get sucked back in from reversion and pepper the inside of your cylinders. When I blew my 1J motor I saw turbine bits every where.

Reactions: q74

95b14

Go Kart Newbie
This “mod” is a means to an end

The means: break my turbo
The end: justify to wife or significant other “well I have to replace the turbo anyway, so might as well get this one that’s bigger”

tigeo

Autocross Champion
While kind of silly and not something that would be great long-term, I really don't think your turbo is going to break doing this - did anyone watch the GFB video I posted?

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
While kind of silly and not something that would be great long-term, I really don't think your turbo is going to break doing this - did anyone watch the GFB video I posted?

The one where he ended the video saying "This is something I don't recommend doing because it places extra load on your thrust bearing, so do it at your own risk"?

Even he acknowledged it shouldn't be done, and can lead to damaging your turbo.