GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

TSI 1.8: What do you think of the 5-speed manual??

drummerboy

Hello Golf fans!
I joined this forum today, as I have decided 100% that a Golf is the next car for me. :) Only problem is that I can't decide between the auto and manual. I test drove both, but I don't feel that I was able to drive the manual long enough to really decide if it's a decent transmission. I am coming from a 6 speed. Will I be disappointed going to a 5 speed? Also, it seemed like compared to my car now the clutch pedal had a really long travel distance. Is this something you get used to? People with the 5 speed manual, what do you guys think of it? I have seen reviews that say it's excellent, and reviews that say it's not that great.
Look forward to hearing what yall have to say, hopefully I can make a decision and get my Golf this week! :D

anjoVW

Ready to race!
Hello Golf fans!
I joined this forum today, as I have decided 100% that a Golf is the next car for me. :) Only problem is that I can't decide between the auto and manual. I test drove both, but I don't feel that I was able to drive the manual long enough to really decide if it's a decent transmission. I am coming from a 6 speed. Will I be disappointed going to a 5 speed? Also, it seemed like compared to my car now the clutch pedal had a really long travel distance. Is this something you get used to? People with the 5 speed manual, what do you guys think of it? I have seen reviews that say it's excellent, and reviews that say it's not that great.
Look forward to hearing what yall have to say, hopefully I can make a decision and get my Golf this week! :D

I'd say get the manual. Only reason I'd advise auto is if it were a DSG transmission, but on North American 1.8 TSI's that's not an option. If you're in an area packed on traffic and can't really get much freedom then yeah auto. Otherwise, Manual all the way. Clutch distance I didn't notice much, but it's really light and not too stiff compared to some cars, and shifting altogether is really smooth. Also manual is a wee bit quicker than the auto, and you also get the enjoyment of feeling that nice bit of torque when shifting :D. I got mine the same day I test drove it, which was immediately after they unloaded it off the trailer and inspected it, since it was the ONLY manual TSI they had. 6 months and 6k miles later it's still fun to drive around, and will definitely get better once I get a tune on it.

cldlhd

Go Kart Champion
I was disappointed in the 5 speed. The shift action of my 6 speed g35 coupe and my old 1996 Nissan200sx se-r 5 speed were both better so I wasn't too bothered by the fact that the SE only came with the auto. Plus the lack of choice made me feel a bit less of a wuss for getting an auto. I had a price I wanted to stay under so it was either the most basic gti or a golf se with some of the goodies-keyless entry,push button start, sunroof, fender stereo... I wanted the features of the SE and since I kept my g35 coupe I have that when I feel the need to drive a manual and the golf se fits the bill perfect for daily driving and those times I have to drive down Philly and get stuck in traffic. Also, God forbid, my wife can drive it if her car is in the shop.

drummerboy

I was disappointed in the 5 speed. The shift action of my 6 speed g35 coupe and my old 1996 Nissan200sx se-r 5 speed were both better so I wasn't too bothered by the fact that the SE only came with the auto. Plus the lack of choice made me feel a bit less of a wuss for getting an auto. I had a price I wanted to stay under so it was either the most basic gti or a golf se with some of the goodies-keyless entry,push button start, sunroof, fender stereo... I wanted the features of the SE and since I kept my g35 coupe I have that when I feel the need to drive a manual and the golf se fits the bill perfect for daily driving and those times I have to drive down Philly and get stuck in traffic. Also, God forbid, my wife can drive it if her car is in the shop.

I see. Was there anything in particular about the manual that you remember being disappointed with, or just the feel of it as a whole?

cldlhd

Go Kart Champion
I see. Was there anything in particular about the manual that you remember being disappointed with, or just the feel of it as a whole?

It wasn't horrible just not as short or direct as either my g35 or my 200sx se-r I just sold. I assume it's connected via a cable as most front drivers are and my Nissan had solid shifter rods and the G is rear wheel drive so it goes right into the box. I understand model differentiation and the need to make more expensive models worth it but I test drove a gti and preferred that 6 spd not only for the extra gear but the shift action. I think in 2016 it should be a 6 speed also.

drummerboy

It wasn't horrible just not as short or direct as either my g35 or my 200sx se-r I just sold. I assume it's connected via a cable as most front drivers are and my Nissan had solid shifter rods and the G is rear wheel drive so it goes right into the box. I understand model differentiation and the need to make more expensive models worth it but I test drove a gti and preferred that 6 spd not only for the extra gear but the shift action. I think in 2016 it should be a 6 speed also.

Yeah I wish it was a 6-speed as well... :( Why, VW, must you make an awesome car and then cheap out on the transmission! I appreciate your detailed feedback though!

cldlhd

Go Kart Champion
Yeah I wish it was a 6-speed as well... :( Why, VW, must you make an awesome car and then cheap out on the transmission! I appreciate your detailed feedback though!

I feel the same way about the 6 spd auto not being the dsg but over the last month I've found the "slushbox" to be pretty good. Drive is obviously geared towards economy , sport holds on to revs longer and seems to downshift quicker. If I want more control I can use the paddles although they don't feel nearly as natural to me as a manual. If the SE was available with the same 6 spd a the gti and the tdi that would be a tough call on my end , especially if it was to be my only car. The fact that I have a 2nd car that has a manual kade it easier for me to accept having an auto.

murtaza911

Ready to race!
I own a 5spd, but I test drove the auto and 5spd before buying (even thought I knew I wouldn't get the auto).

I found the auto to be very boring. I hated it so much that I almost decided to not buy the car at all, and stick with my MK4 GTI VR6.

I am very biased towards manual, as all of my cars have been manual. But I also drove a GTI PP, and it was a great drive.

Really, I suggest you test drive both before buying.

xGreg

Passed Driver's Ed
Coming from a 2001 GTI VR6 I am not disappointed. In fact I like it alot. The 5 speed shifts super smooth and its really snappy for lack of better words. I got my golf in october and so far have no complaints about the transmission. I would recommend you go test drive a golf just to experience it for yourself.

cldlhd

Go Kart Champion
It's obviously a personal preference thing. The 5 spd is league's better than the mk4 one I drove way back that was so bad it was the main reason I didn't buy it. It felt like a stick in a jar of marbles.The auto is definitely the week link in the drivetrain, I told the salesman as much, but seeing as I bought the golf to be a well screwed together,practical daily driver and not as a sports car I'm not that bothered by it.

glina126

Ready to race!
I have the 6mt gti and the tranny feels like shit. Now, the only reason it feels crap and unnatural is because of the clutch delay crap they put in. It's an hour DIY to get it removed and the tranny feels amazing after :) I am super biased to manual, so yea get a manual :p

drummerboy

Thanks so much everyone for the feedback. I have decided on the manual. There is one being transported to me from an out of state dealership as we speak! So excited!