GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Track day oil temps?

JackRabbitSLIM

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
Does anyone know how oil weight effect oil temps?

I am trying to find ways to keep my temps down without having to buy an oil cooler? I have been running the factory spec oil. Does a heavier weight help keep cool? Also, does running the heat really help much with coolant temps?
https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=91820
Oil thins as it gets hotter. Heavier oil helps keep the oil pressure up at higher temperatures. If you are going to do multiple track days per year, just buy a darn oil cooler! It's important. If you don't do many events, just monitor the temp and don't let it get too high...and change the oil often.

Turning the heat on lets the HVAC heat exchanger act like another (small) radiator. So it could help lower the water temp (a little), which could help keep the engine cooler resulting in slightly less oil temp. This is not a good solution, or a solution at all really...Over heating the driver is possibly the most dangerous thing you can do on track.

Last edited:

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
That's why you open all the windows, put the heat on the passenger and rear, and then turn off the driver facing vents. Even in summer the gti can get away with it due to the large windows.

AERO

Go Kart Newbie
Fortunately my local track makes up keep the windows down so I could easily run the heat. I need to look into oil coolers. I've seen 270F on the track.

Deanjet

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI SE
With an IS38 upgrade, you will likely experience high oil temps. I got to 270 on a 75-80F day on a stock powered IS20 and had to back off. So you will need to keep an eye on temps. My 2017 GTi runs 5w40 so I’m assuming you have a newer golf running the 20-weight oil. There are a couple of threads on here discussing cooling and oil temps.

What pads are you planning on running on track with your BBK? What brake fluid? You have great BBK, sticky tires and plenty HP, make sure that you have freshly bled fluid like Castrol SRF and track pads.
I always hit 270 degrees within 15 minutes on track in 75+ temps. Loss all break pressure during my last session this Tuesday, Switching from Motul 600 to Castro’s SRF.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I always hit 270 degrees within 15 minutes on track in 75+ temps. Loss all break pressure during my last session this Tuesday, Switching from Motul 600 to Castro’s SRF.

Just a thought. If you're losing brake pressure, you might need better brake cooling. SRF is truly unicorn tears, but if you're generating that much heat, it's going to manifest in a different way.

Last edited:

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
Yeah, you shouldn't be losing brake pressure like that. I've actually had less fluid boil with rbf600 than rbf660 and srf. Also keep in mind with srf if you don't use the fluid within 3 mo of cracking the bottle, the rest of it is trash.

Hopefully you've at the very least done the rs3 ducts and pulling off the dust shield. That and a proper temp brake pad is enough for most people running a 200tw or similar with mostly stock car.

spaparizos

Ready to race!
Car(s)
'17 GTI Sport
Something I noticed that affects oil temp at the track is the amount of oil. The shop added a bit more oil than the top of the dipstick, which as it expands with heat it creates an even higher temp due to pressure. I removed some oil and made sure that it is between the hash marks of the dip stick and that dropped the temp about 20F at track