GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

TPC770 or EQT Typhoon?

NiTro78

Car(s)
2018 Golf R DSG
Can't decide which turbo to go for, currently have the Garrett pmax g25-660 but I've gotten bored with it. Where should I go next? Car is rod and piston built, mpi, brushless lpfp, fbo, e85. Thanks

Cliff p.

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'17 Golf R DSG
I'm obviously a bit biased here, but will say that the Typhoon has been a wonderful turbo with my setup. :)

EpicTech

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI 6sp w/PP
What are you making with your current setup? I'm in the middle of a similar motor build and I picked the Mamba 3076R turbo.

Ed @ EQT

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
MK8 Golf R
The 770 is good for about 600whp max unless you overspin the hell out of it. Then it can make more power, but shaft speeds get very high and reliability takes a major hit. We tested the 770 wheel package and ended up revising things for our Typhoon because of the issues we saw with the 770. When compressor wheel we use in the typhoon is designed to run at the higher pressure ratio's we need to achieve good power on these engines without spinning the turbo to death.

-- Ed

NiTro78

Car(s)
2018 Golf R DSG
What are you making with your current setup? I'm in the middle of a similar motor build and I picked the Mamba 3076R turbo.
Honestly no clue I've never dynoed her, but from similar builds at my elevation, (Colorado) I should be somewhere around 450awh plus or minus some. Thats with losing 30% of our hp up here though between drivetrain and no air haha

NiTro78

Car(s)
2018 Golf R DSG
The 770 is good for about 600whp max unless you overspin the hell out of it. Then it can make more power, but shaft speeds get very high and reliability takes a major hit. We tested the 770 wheel package and ended up revising things for our Typhoon because of the issues we saw with the 770. When compressor wheel we use in the typhoon is designed to run at the higher pressure ratio's we need to achieve good power on these engines without spinning the turbo to death.

-- Ed
Yeah I also noticed the typhoon has a faster spool than the 770 too so thats the way im leaning towards at the moment. My g25-660 doesn't even hit boost up here until 5k so a big part of me doesn't want to lose even more bottom end but some sacrifices need to be made haha. IM pretty much tapped out on power on my current setup

scrllock

Autocross Champion
Take a look at the newer PagParts turbos. You have to join his FB group and he has no website, but quality is unmatched.

ChrisMk77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 GTI Performance
Yeah I also noticed the typhoon has a faster spool than the 770 too so thats the way im leaning towards at the moment. My g25-660 doesn't even hit boost up here until 5k so a big part of me doesn't want to lose even more bottom end but some sacrifices need to be made haha. IM pretty much tapped out on power on my current setup
Not even joking you should look into adding a 50 shot of Nitrous to help a 60+ mm turbo spool at that altitude.

Ed @ EQT

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
MK8 Golf R
Take a look at the newer PagParts turbos. You have to join his FB group and he has no website, but quality is unmatched.
Those are more of a full frame thing and a lot more money. There are also endless revisions... it seems like every turbo he comes out with is different. Many people have had issues, a few have had some success.

-- Ed

Ed @ EQT

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
MK8 Golf R

I'd say spool is similar to a 770 in similar housings. It does spool faster than most full frame 770's out there.

-- Ed

scrllock

Autocross Champion
Those are more of a full frame thing and a lot more money. There are also endless revisions... it seems like every turbo he comes out with is different. Many people have had issues, a few have had some success.

-- Ed
Sorry, I wasn't aware the Typhoon was using an IS38 housing. You got some sources on those "many people" having issues with his turbos? Are they in the room with us right now?

ChrisMk77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 GTI Performance
Sorry, I wasn't aware the Typhoon was using an IS38 housing. You got some sources on those "many people" having issues with his turbos? Are they in the room with us right now?
Like pretty much every manufacturer that has put out their own turbine housing with internal gate they have had issues controlling it with stock actuators.

Ed @ EQT

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
MK8 Golf R
Its not using an IS38 housing. Where did I say that?

Sources are about 5 cars that we've worked on tuning with them. Most stay quiet. The issues are with boost control, lag, and overall performance.
As I said, I know that a couple people have had success, but its hard to pin point since the turbos change constantly.

-- Ed