GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Toyota North America to relocate to Dallas from SoCal

DUBPL8

Go Kart Champion
http://www.autoblog.com/2014/04/28/toyota-moving-us-headquarters-plano-texas/

This is bittersweet given Toyota set up its American operations in Los Angeles back in 1957. It sucks for those that work there and have long-standing ties there.

Not sure what to think of it honestly. Sure it's great for us living here, but the ramifications for California is enormous, and since my roots reside there, I can't help but to be a bit sad over this.

Some might say it was inevitable, merely following in the footsteps of Nissan.

Doug1

http://www.autoblog.com/2014/04/28/toyota-moving-us-headquarters-plano-texas/

This is bittersweet given Toyota set up its American operations in Los Angeles back in 1957. It sucks for those that work there and have long-standing ties there.

Not sure what to think of it honestly. Sure it's great for us living here, but the ramifications for California is enormous, and since my roots reside there, I can't help but to be a bit sad over this.

Some might say it was inevitable, merely following in the footsteps of Nissan.

California is just not business friendly; this will continue to happen until California adjusts a few things and start becoming a builder of things again and not just service industry state. It is extremely sad that California keeps losing employers like this. Oh well we still have Disneyland.

rawbdog

Go Kart Champion
Makes sense. A lot of companies are moving to TX because it's way cheaper for just about everything.

DUBPL8

Go Kart Champion
Makes sense. A lot of companies are moving to TX because it's way cheaper for just about everything.

Sucks though because Toyota got its first start in SoCal

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
I would imagine most employees will have the option to move. And they will be able to buy huge houses for the half the money they spent in Cali for housing.

DUBPL8

Go Kart Champion
I would imagine most employees will have the option to move. And they will be able to buy huge houses for the half the money they spent in Cali for housing.

But no beaches, scenery, or weather.

There's some things you can't put a price on.

Most of Nissan's employees didn't move when they relocated to TN in 2005; they stayed put and moved on to other ventures.

danielj1

Go Kart Champion
Sucks though because Toyota got its first start in SoCal

Seattle picked up the pieces and moved on when Boeing left Seattle for Chicago after 100 years of doing business in the area.

I'm sure you'll be okay and the pain of your loss will subside with time.

DUBPL8

Go Kart Champion
Seattle picked up the pieces and moved on when Boeing left Seattle for Chicago after 100 years of doing business in the area.

I'm sure you'll be okay and the pain of your loss will subside with time.

I don't got a leg on this one.

It's not just Torrance jobs moving, also those from Kentucky too IIRC.

Toyota has no need for Torrance anymore since majority of their vehicles for North American consumers are built in the U.S. anyways. It's all about the trucks after all.

rawbdog

Go Kart Champion
But no beaches, scenery, or weather.

There's some things you can't put a price on.

Most of Nissan's employees didn't move when they relocated to TN in 2005; they stayed put and moved on to other ventures.

One reason why I can't leave CA. Scenery. The people are awful and pricing for everything blows. But I love where I live and can't imagine moving out of CA.

rmchung

Ready to race!
Most people don't relocate. Maybe those who are single, but those with families, it's not that easy to just pack up everything and relocate. Have to think about your spouses job, schools for the kids, etc.

Dave10781

Go Kart Champion
One reason why I can't leave CA. Scenery. The people are awful and pricing for everything blows. But I love where I live and can't imagine moving out of CA.

I packed up and left California 3 years ago. I still miss the weather and the scenery. But there were very few tech jobs available and you have to pay rent somehow.

But I wonder when it'll be enough for the state government to finally start waking up and making changes.

formul8

My GLI farts
Car(s)
2006 GLI

More because Texas has been aggressively courting large corporations with tax incentives to relocate there. Texas was trying to lure companies here in Chicago for many years as well.

That's if they can get over themselves enough to move out of California for *GACK* Texas. Company funded relo's will be tough because the market prices of LA/OC houses are just insanely stupid for them to absorb. Then you have a swarm of Blue staters moving into really conservative Red areas. I heard all operations except their design studio will move to Texas.

I'm betting a majority won't move.

DUBPL8

Go Kart Champion
Moving from Torrance to Plano will be a huge culture shock for the relocated Toyota employees. Plano is not only one of the most conservative cities in the nation but Colin County (where Plano resides) is a huge bastion for Evangelicals over there.

Another problem with the growth in Texas is that the water supplies and transportation infrastructure is not improving fast enough to commensurate with it. Austin already has one of the worst traffic-choked freeways in the nation and they have just 100k shy of a million.