GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

To improve 1.8TSI handling: VRW springs or c-overs (Bilstein B14, H&R Street, ST X) ?

mach128x

To improve 1.8TSI handling: VRW springs or c-overs (Bilstein B14, H&R Street, ST X) ?

This is my first post on this forum, hi everyone :)

So I'm getting a 5-speed 1.8 TSI base with 15" alloys.

I have been driving one, a rental, for a couple of weeks now (only differences being the color and that it's a a 6-speed auto, which is pretty nice btw; one of the first non-DSG autos I don't absolutely hate).
I really love the car overall. The only down side for me is the suspension. Don't get me wrong, I think it's pretty good and actually significantly better than many other compact cars out there.

However, I just like sportier suspension setups in general. In many circumstances I felt the stock setup lacked rebound control and had too much roll especially under weight transfer situations (e.g. obstacle avoidance maneuvers).

To help in giving an idea of what I'm looking for..
- my previous car was a Sport Pack B6 A4 with the stock lowered suspension and 17" alloys and I wished it was stiffer (I understand it's a much heavier car and handle differently than a Golf).
- I test drove an Mk V GTI on 17" alloys a couple of years back and while I liked the handling overall, still sometimes I wished it was stiffer.
- on many occasions I drove my buddy's Mk IV Jetta with 18" alloys and Bilstein PSS9 coilovers with the rebound set at 3 on a 1-9 scale (1 being the stiffest) -> now we're talking !!

Let me state this beforehand : I will eventually switch the 15's for 17" alloys with high-perf summers, knowing that sidewall stiffness does have an impact on the global suspension response.

Now to the main point, my suspension choices are :
VWR Sport springs on stock dampers
Bilstein B14 c-overs
H&R Street c-overs
ST X c-overs
Questions :
- VWR Sports are said to be 10-15% stiffer than OEM however I fear it might not be stiff enough for me. And I wonder how this increase in stiffness impacts the rebound of the OEM dampers; it should help, but to what extent?
- Was anyone able to compare any two setups out of the above list?

Any comment on how any one of the above-listed setups affects/improves the handling is welcome.

Oh and as far as lowering is concerned, the H&R Sport springs look perfect to me (as showcased on an 1.8TSI here).

Thanks in advance

Last edited:

iPanir123

Go Kart Champion
I have VWR springs now and they are probably about 50% stiffer than stock to be honest. Not as a comfortable ride as I had imagined

mach128x

I have VWR springs now and they are probably about 50% stiffer than stock to be honest. Not as a comfortable ride as I had imagined

So lets say you enter a descending, curve off-ramp faster than usual, do you still feel the car "diving" into the front driver-side corner as the weight transfers on the front-end ?

Then if you hit a buldge or depression (I don't mean a pothole but more like those small ponds where water accumulates when it rains) in the curve, is the bounce much more controlled ?

Rod Paine

Passed Driver's Ed
What shocks are you running? I've ridden in a friends 2015 GTI that had VWR springs and stock shocks, which wasn't at all a good setup in my opinion. It needed better shocks like Bilstein B6 or their B8 if Bilstein considers the VWR a 'lowering spring'.

We have Bilstein B6 on our Mk7 TDI and Mk4 TDI and they work very well. As I've indicated in the past, the Bilstein B6's on our TDI's feels very nearly identical to our 2015 Golf DSG/DCC/NAV running in 'Normal' mode.
-Rod

mach128x

We have Bilstein B6 on our Mk7 TDI and Mk4 TDI and they work very well. As I've indicated in the past, the Bilstein B6's on our TDI's feels very nearly identical to our 2015 Golf DSG/DCC/NAV running in 'Normal' mode.
-Rod

Hey Rod,

I never test drove an R, guess I could try one to have a reference.

I didn't think about getting springs & shocks seperately... I would have thought coil-overs would be a better solution as they are designed as a matching coils/dampers set.

You think the Bilstein B6 (I guess these are the ones front & rear) would be a good match to the H&R Sports ?

iPanir123

Go Kart Champion
What shocks are you running? I've ridden in a friends 2015 GTI that had VWR springs and stock shocks, which wasn't at all a good setup in my opinion. It needed better shocks like Bilstein B6 or their B8 if Bilstein considers the VWR a 'lowering spring'.

-Rod

My car has stock shocks. I honestly do not understand the hype around VWR springs and how people say they ride smoothly and like OEM. They are pretty rough and ride similar to my other setup which was stock shocks with H&R super sports. The only difference is that these shocks absorb bumps a tad better.

mach128x

iPanir, thanks for the input on comparing VWR vs H&R while on OEM shocks!

Meanwhile while researching I found that per Bilstein's own press release, the B6 are intended to be matched with stock springs, and the B8 with lowering springs.

I'm wondering if those on ECS are the B6 or B8, I'll look into that.

iPanir123

Go Kart Champion
iPanir, thanks for the input on comparing VWR vs H&R while on OEM shocks!

Meanwhile while researching I found that per Bilstein's own press release, the B6 are intended to be matched with stock springs, and the B8 with lowering springs.

I'm wondering if those on ECS are the B6 or B8, I'll look into that.

Yeah no problem! I am assuming that people are on the b8 because it is a lowering spring

mach128x

So after lots of reading, I was set on getting coilovers due to springs and dampers that are designed as a matched set and also for the adjustability. Adjustable damping was out of budget.

I had it narrowed down to Bilstein PSS vs H&R Street coilovers due to good reviews all around but finally I'm getting H&R's because I got a great deal on them!

Can't wait to try them out !