GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Tips on buying USED wheels

gameaud

Ready to race!
Hey guys i found a nice set of enkeis in my local Facebook group. Guy said its in good condition and from the pics he posted it does look like its in good condition.

Anything to look out for when I actually meet up and inspect the wheels closely besides your typical curb rash?

This is my first time buying aftermarket wheels ever new or used and I'm pretty much a noob when it comes to car stuff. He's selling it pretty cheap, 50% off tire rack prices so I'm kind of cautious... Also anyway i can tell if these are fake/replica enkei instead of real?

Mk5Dom

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2.0 TDI CRBC
Have a good look for cracks and welds throughout.

I'd imagine that Enkei would stamp their part number or code of some sort inside the wheels somewhere. Do you research before you go and find out what the genuine part number should be and check it when you arrive.

Bäsemödel

Go Kart Champion
Can't help you with the real or fake thing but just check for bends. If they are out of round, you're gonna have a bad time. If they have a lot of weights on them, the seller is probably tried to balance them out. Some bends can be balanced out but not all... check for rash like you mentioned. Good luck!

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
I would make it a condition of the purchase that you be allowed to have them checked by a wheel shop and if issues found, cost be adjusted to you have option to return.

If the wheels are a high cost type I would use a wheel repair shop to check them.
They can check for dents, bends, cracks and also balance.
If a lower cost tire, then a tire shop like Firestone could check them.

Have them checked unless the tires have never been mounted.

But, even new wheels can be damaged in shipping. They must be packaged well.
My wheel repair shop warned against shipping unless there was no way I could drop off.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
I've seen guys meet the seller at a tire shop. Put them on the balance machine. If they're straight and balance out you pay, if not he does.

Other than that look for cracks, ET and width should be stamped on the inner spokes are well as the brand.

gameaud

Ready to race!
I would make it a condition of the purchase that you be allowed to have them checked by a wheel shop and if issues found, cost be adjusted to you have option to return.

If the wheels are a high cost type I would use a wheel repair shop to check them.

Great idea! its just your typical $200ish enkei wheel so not to high of a cost. Would a typical tire rack recommended installer shop be sufficient?

Also, what do you guys mean by checking balance? Do you mean balance wheels on tires? or just checking if the balance of the wheels is okay? Im just looking for wheels not tires.I will be removing my austin and using same tires for the enkeis.

Last edited:

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
Great idea! its just your typical $200ish enkei wheel so not to high of a cost. Would a typical tire rack recommended installer shop be sufficient?

Also, what do you guys mean by checking balance? Do you mean balance wheels on tires? or just checking if the balance of the wheels is okay? Im just looking for wheels not tires.I will be removing my austin and using same tires for the enkeis.

Tire shops should be able to check a wheel for good radial and lateral run out. They might be able to check balance. I would call some and ask. A good shop will know what you are asking. If they say wheel check not important, keep shopping.

Wheels can be out of balance alone. Tire can be out balance alone.
Wheels should be checked with valve in place. They can use this info to mount tire as tire is normally marked with a dot in light spot of tire. They should then mount light dot in location wheel was heaviest and then spin balance to set weight. Mounting the opposite weight vectors will reduce the amount of total weight needed to balance tires.
If they have 7+ weight segments on the wheel, ask some questions. Something is off.

Also checking wheel balance can catch any prior damage repair if not performed well. Checking lateral and radial run out also catches damage.
If they ask what run out is, also run.
The better they can be balanced, the better the high speed ride.
Also ask what balancer they use. Dynamic is latest.

I learned from VW Dealer this.
Best balanced wheel/tire goes on left front by driver. In USA.
Worst goes in right rear. Away from driver. The other two balanced between the last two locations. This also provides best ride.

FYI.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro