GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Tiny Chip in Windshield

monolith

While on the freeway today this fucking diesel carrying gravel or something had these tiny rocks falling all over the freeway and my car got hit a couple times, but nothing major.

Anyone know a good chip repair kit. Nothing too expensive please.

dequardo

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
‘21 GLI Autobahn GLI
Check with your insurance company. Most will authorize repairs with no deductible.

Gogo GTI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
I used the Versachem kit from Oreilly’s auto parts. Its the one with vacuum syringe. Good for stars and bullseyes up to the size of a quarter. I had a star chip about the size of a pea and I can hardly see it now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ebg18t

Ready to race!
Many insurance companies cover chips for free.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Litespeedgti

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2019 GTI S DSG
Mad and it's not even my GTI. The Ass Hat driver is totally at fault for not having a tarp over his load! Sorry about your car. This could be covered under the "Comprehensive" section of your policy. If your paint is harmed, I have had great luck with "Dr. Color chip" touch up paint.

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
Mad and it's not even my GTI. The Ass Hat driver is totally at fault for not having a tarp over his load!

Tarping the load isn't the problem. Once in the hopper, rocks don't fly out. What does fly off trucks and hit you is stuff that lands on the other surfaces around the load area. That stuff needs to be carefully swept away, or better yet, never spilled there in the first place.

As others have said, check your insurance coverage. Some states have 100% glass coverage by default, such as my home state of Arizona, which is a brutal environment for windshield damage. Good luck!

GTI-Jay

Ready to race!
While on the freeway today this fucking diesel carrying gravel or something had these tiny rocks falling all over the freeway and my car got hit a couple times, but nothing major.

Anyone know a good chip repair kit. Nothing too expensive please.

I used rain x windshield repair and i was impressed with the outcome.

alderran1

Ready to race!
I think all the repair kits are the same syringe and resin. I don't think they fix up to the size of a quarter, but if it's a small chip less than the size of a dime then they do a pretty good job. I fixed a small one on my GTI as a test to see if I could fix a bigger one quarter size on my wife's escape. I didn't even bother trying on the escape because there is no way in hell it was going to work. If it's a bigger one a local glass shop can fix it one of them told me if you can cover it with a dollar they can fix it, but if it's in your field of view then not recommended because in direct sun you will still see it and may cause issues with your ability to see the road clearly. In the case of my wife's truck we had glass with 100 deductible so I just said we needed a new windshield.