GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Thule Aeroblade 53" Bar Overhang (or any roof rack's where the bars hang over)

ziggybobby

Another thumbs up for the Rhino Rack here.

Attachments

• IMG_0061.jpg
    IMG_0061.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 169

Clem604

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI

richief556

Passed Driver's Ed
They do sell the Rhino Rack for your car as it is the same ones as for MK7/7.5 (2015-2019). I have the Rhino rack and couldnt be happier, they are stealthier looking than most other racks and with nothing mounted to them you can still open the sunroof!

View attachment 164726View attachment 164727
similar rims and same color....we had the same vision. lol. Thx for the pics and nice looking ride! I wonder why rhino rack responded to me saying, "We apologize but but we would only have options for the 2019 VOLKSWAGEN Golf MK VII (incl GTi, R and e-Golf) in the 5dr Hatch between 2015 and 2019"? I've also received an email response from etrailer saying, "As long as your Vehicle has a naked roof, this roof rack will work for you." Do you think they dissuade you because of the minimal clearance or maybe because you can't put any mounting brackets on the cross bar?

Is this the model you have? JA5470

https://www.amazon.com/Rhino-Rack-C...volkswagen+JA5470&qid=1581084852&sr=8-1-fkmr0
I also found one significantly cheaper but don't know what the difference is....

https://www.amazon.com/Rhino-Rack-J...volkswagen+JA5470&qid=1581084852&sr=8-2-fkmr0

Attachments

• GTI2.jpg
    GTI2.jpg
    631.5 KB · Views: 100
Last edited:

richief556

Passed Driver's Ed
Another thumbs up for the Rhino Rack here.
nice ride ziggy! with the bikes mounted, does that not allow for your sunroof to be opened?

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
just because color was mentioned. I have the OEM rack (silver cross bars) that I sanded and rattle caned black. stuff can be modified....I painted the end caps red but plan on changing them back to black.

richief556

Passed Driver's Ed
just because color was mentioned. I have the OEM rack (silver cross bars) that I sanded and rattle caned black. stuff can be modified....I painted the end caps red but plan on changing them back to black.
i actually thought about that, but don't like the heightened look. I'm going for aesthetics here. My other car is an F150 i use for hauling anything (i.e. bikes/kayaks/snowboards). I also like the old school look of the roof racks and dare i say it, mudflaps......nostalgia. 44 y/o living his glory days. lol

Frank41682

Car(s)
2016 GTI
I have the Thule aero bars or whatever they are called that overhang and I have never hit my head getting in or out of the car (also short AF lol). I can still open the sunroof with an old Thule Cascade box I have but its really noisy so I never do. my cargo box has the old style mounts that hang down a bit below the bars and there is still plenty of room for the sunroof to open.

Clem604

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI
Neither of those 2 models posted are the model I have. They sit much higher up, which might be a good thing if your looking for more sunroof clearance. The model I have is the lower profile, stealthier Rhino Rack Vortex 2500 RS. You can find out more info about it here:

https://stealthgti.com/2017/08/28/rhino-rack-vortex-2500-rs/

richief556

Passed Driver's Ed
Neither of those 2 models posted are the model I have. They sit much higher up, which might be a good thing if your looking for more sunroof clearance. The model I have is the lower profile, stealthier Rhino Rack Vortex 2500 RS. You can find out more info about it here:

https://stealthgti.com/2017/08/28/rhino-rack-vortex-2500-rs/
I thought it sat higher up too, but this is Carid's response to me...."We would not advise to install roof racks if you have a sunroof. This being due to the vehicle's roof having a lower structural integrity and the fragility of the sunroof. If something too heavy were to fail on that item, the roof will shatter. Also, you will not be able to open the sunroof if you install racks." I said screw it and bought it anyway....if it doesn't fit then i could always return it since its Amazon. I appreciate your input btw....was a huge help!

Clem604

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI
I thought it sat higher up too, but this is Carid's response to me...."We would not advise to install roof racks if you have a sunroof. This being due to the vehicle's roof having a lower structural integrity and the fragility of the sunroof. If something too heavy were to fail on that item, the roof will shatter. Also, you will not be able to open the sunroof if you install racks." I said screw it and bought it anyway....if it doesn't fit then i could always return it since its Amazon. I appreciate your input btw....was a huge help!
There may be some truth in the company's response but so far I have had no issues with mine over the year that I have owned them. You can still open the sunroof with the bars on, provided you don't have any attachments on them but if you have any attachments (bike carrier's, etc.) then you won't have enough clearance. You can still tilt the sunroof though.

richief556

Passed Driver's Ed

Attachments

• roof rack.jpg
    roof rack.jpg
    725.9 KB · Views: 139
  • roof rack2.jpg
    roof rack2.jpg
    728.1 KB · Views: 138

Chad M

Looks like a have more room with this roof rack. just installed the rhino rack and looks like it will allow brackets on the cross bar with the sunroof open. Anyone have problems with the 'lip' of the door seal sticking out (allowing water to leak into the door frame) from the metal bracket (that holds it down the roof)?

https://www.etrailer.com/multi-prod...51&HHYear=2019&HHMake=Volkswagen&HHModel=Golf

Never an issue for water intrusion. RE: the metal bracket, I cut pieces of clear film to sit under the pads, and where the hook hangs on the car. Probably overkill, but I couldn't stand the idea of it being right against the paint.