Throttle Delay

SmoothCat565

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 VW MKVII GTI
Found these codes:

P0638/3BEE Throttle Actuator control bank 1 range/performance

P0638/3BF2 Throttle Actuator control bank 1 range/performance

Thanks for the reminder to check my codes. idk why I never saw these before, somehow this is the first time I’m seeing these

This is before trying any of the suggestions you mentioned above. I didn’t try the connector unplug/replug or tightening the clamp on the boot thing that connects to the TB, yet.

Last edited:

Mksleven

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 gti
Found these codes:

P0638/3BEE Throttle Actuator control bank 1 range/performance

P0638/3BF2 Throttle Actuator control bank 1 range/performance

Thanks for the reminder to check my codes. idk why I never saw these before, somehow this is the first time I’m seeing these

This is before trying any of the suggestions you mentioned above. I didn’t try the connector unplug/replug or tightening the clamp on the boot thing that connects to the TB, yet.

Yeah maybe try looking to make sure the connector is fully seated and that the TPS sensor wiring isn’t visibly damaged..if you disconnect it and move it around a bit you can manipulate it to see the wiring better ~

And I think I had those same codes however I can’t remember 100%..I had to manipulate those wires a bit and really make sure the connector was snug..and also tighten up some loose ish clamps that I mentioned in previous post

SmoothCat565

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 VW MKVII GTI
I’d clear the codes too if you can to see if they come back

The TPS/connector/wiring is sorta known to finicky
Just cleared codes. Gonna test drive (it’s my daily driver) to see if codes come back and see how it drives. I’ll take a better look at the wiring in a parking garage tomorrow - it’s raining nonstop

Mksleven

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 gti
Just cleared codes. Gonna test drive (it’s my daily driver) to see if codes come back and see how it drives. I’ll take a better look at the wiring in a parking garage tomorrow - it’s raining nonstop

Sounds good

The other some what easy thing to do if that doesn’t work is to pull that pipe off the TB and inspect the inside…basically make sure it’s not stuck and that it can open/close freely

SmoothCat565

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 VW MKVII GTI
Unplugging and replugging the TPS didn’t have any effect on it driving wise. Haven’t seen any codes since clearing it and the wires look fine from the TPS. Connections are also fine on the pipe that’s below the TB.

I guess my throttle response these days has been fine, ever since I tried the TB resets, it’s been better. but the other issue that’s bothering me is the rough shifts since the trans swap. Before the trans swap, I would release the clutch and it would match speed with the engine like butter so gracefully and quick and efficient. Post trans swap It feels like my clutch is smashing against the flywheel way too aggressively if that makes sense. When I let off the clutch for it to grab during an up shift, it’s just like vicious and not smooth like it was before the trans swap. I’m starting to think that this symptom during shifting is clutch position sensor related….like why is my clutch smashing against my flywheel such that the revs are affected and I can feel the hesitation until the speeds match together. I have to baby the clutch pedal on release during upshift to get a smooth shift but even then it’s never as smooth as it was before the trans swap. Previously thought it was related to the throttle response, but now I’m not too sure since the throttle response was improved by resets (revs and rev matching etc) but my shifts are still so rough. After the trans swaps, The car also gets moving with just the clutch pedal and no gas, so idk if that might mean clutch position sensor things or idk what else tbh

Basically idk if the rough shifts are throttle response related only anymore, or possible also due to something about the clutch sensor or something. This stuff is hard to explain

Last edited:

Mksleven

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 gti
Unplugging and replugging the TPS didn’t have any effect on it driving wise. Haven’t seen any codes since clearing it and the wires look fine from the TPS. Connections are also fine on the pipe that’s below the TB.

I guess my throttle response these days has been fine, ever since I tried the TB resets, it’s been better. but the other issue that’s bothering me is the rough shifts since the trans swap. Before the trans swap, I would release the clutch and it would match speed with the engine like butter so gracefully and quick and efficient. Post trans swap It feels like my clutch is smashing against the flywheel way too aggressively if that makes sense. When I let off the clutch for it to grab during an up shift, it’s just like vicious and not smooth like it was before the trans swap. I’m starting to think that this symptom during shifting is clutch position sensor related….like why is my clutch smashing against my flywheel such that the revs are affected and I can feel the hesitation until the speeds match together. I have to baby the clutch pedal on release during upshift to get a smooth shift but even then it’s never as smooth as it was before the trans swap. Previously thought it was related to the throttle response, but now I’m not too sure since the throttle response was improved by resets (revs and rev matching etc) but my shifts are still so rough. After the trans swaps, The car also gets moving with just the clutch pedal and no gas, so idk if that might mean clutch position sensor things or idk what else tbh

Basically idk if the rough shifts are throttle response related only anymore, or possible also due to something about the clutch sensor or something. This stuff is hard to explain

Sorry to hear that you’re having those issues.

Going through the basic things first, make sure you’re clutch fluid reservoir is filled. The brake and clutch system share the same hydraulic fluid reservoir in the engine bay. Consider bleeding the clutch line while you’re at it as well. There should be some YouTube vids on this ~ It’s a fairly simple thing to do.

If it isn’t fixing the issue, I’d probably consider getting the car to a qualified shop. Did that shop you get the trans swap done in have VW experience? I wonder if the throw out bearing/slave is going out

SmoothCat565

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 VW MKVII GTI
Sorry to hear that you’re having those issues.

Going through the basic things first, make sure you’re clutch fluid reservoir is filled. The brake and clutch system share the same hydraulic fluid reservoir in the engine bay. Consider bleeding the clutch line while you’re at it as well. There should be some YouTube vids on this ~ It’s a fairly simple thing to do.

If it isn’t fixing the issue, I’d probably consider getting the car to a qualified shop. Did that shop you get the trans swap done in have VW experience? I wonder if the throw out bearing/slave is going out
Ya they are a VW only shop.. Could they have messed up the throw out bearing when putting in the new trans? Maybe they could’ve leaked hydraulic fluid of the clutch system when doing the trans swap?

They did a beautiful job getting the upgraded clutch in it. Then I brought the Car in with the blown trans 20k miles later, but all other shifting was still perfect at that time. Car came out with a trans swap, throttle issues, and rough clutch grab on all gears upshifting

Might take it to a shop when I get back from vacation

Last edited:

Mksleven

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 gti
Ya they are a VW only shop.. Could they have messed up the throw out bearing when putting in the new trans? Maybe they could’ve leaked hydraulic fluid of the clutch system when doing the trans swap?

They did a beautiful job getting the upgraded clutch in it. Then I brought the Car in with the blown trans 20k miles later, but all other shifting was still perfect at that time. Car came out with a trans swap, throttle issues, and rough clutch grab on all gears upshifting

Might take it to a shop when I get back from vacation

Hard to say man, but if you wanna save a few bucks definitely try bleeding the system first and see if that does anything especially if you’re suspecting any clutch-related issues

SmoothCat565

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 VW MKVII GTI
Might as well try bleeding my clutch and brakes on the same day then. It’s literally as easy as pressurizing at the fluid reservoir inlet with excess brake fluid and bleeding via a single nut for the clutch and 4 nuts for the brakes with the goal of removing air from the system? That sounds like the easiest thing in the world I’ve ever heard of

Brakes: 10 psi at the brake fluid reservoir and unscrew 4 nuts one for each brake caliper
Clutch: 10 psi at brake fluid reservoir and unscrew the single nut at clutch bleed port

That’s it?

Last edited:

Mksleven

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 gti
Might as well try bleeding my clutch and brakes on the same day then. It’s literally as easy as pressurizing at the fluid reservoir inlet with excess brake fluid and bleeding via a single nut for the clutch and 4 nuts for the brakes with the goal of removing air from the system? That sounds like the easiest thing in the world I’ve ever heard of

Brakes: 10 psi at the brake fluid reservoir and unscrew 4 nuts one for each brake caliper
Clutch: 10 psi at brake fluid reservoir and unscrew the single nut at clutch bleed port

That’s it?
That sounds about right..make sure the fluid reservoir is always filled during the process 👍

SmoothCat565

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 VW MKVII GTI
One thing I noticed for throttle related, when coasting in neutral, if I try to rev, there’s no response, so I try again and again and on the 3rd or 4th rev there is response

Mksleven

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 gti
Yeah man hard to say. I’d personally check that the throttle body isn’t clogged/stuck..wouldn’t have much else to add short of sending your car to a shop unless someone else has any other ideas ~