GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Thoughts - Mk7 stock 8 speaker system MIB2 v F21 1 series Professional nav with HK

pipsyp

Ready to race!
Just a quick post as I thought it might be of interest to some...particularly with relevance to the question "To Dynaudio/Fender or not".

We have a v high specification M135i Auto 5 door with Pro Nav and the 12 speaker HK audio, it was my Dads but he unfortunately passed away following a long fight with cancer just after christmas so its now just sat outside my Mums house until we trade it.

I had to start it the other day (keep the battery in check) so sat in it for a while...ended up listening to some music. I knew it had HK but I hadnt until that point ever really had a chance to listen to it properly....so I cracked on Pharrell "Happy"....something he happened to have stored on the jukebox!

.....and I have to say I was actually really underwhelmed. The system is effectively 9 speaker...with the centre speaker and rear speakers being two way....also it has two low profile 8" bass transducers under the front seats....along with circa 360w of amplification. It went v v loud, was v clear and didnt distort but it seemed really quite shrill the louder it went and it rather lacked depth.....v tight mid bass but not a great deal at the low end that given the 8" transducers really rather suprised me.

I left it thinking how rather good the stock Mk7 system is given its relative lack of complexity and power output.....and to my ears at least sounded better than the HK. The BM is a mid 2013 so pre LCI and I know he used to listen to music loud so its plenty run in.

Just if I had paid extra for it, I think id have been quite disappointed.....though have no doubt the stock and probably even the Advanced Hifi on the F20 1'er will be nothing like as good.

Just felt it was an interesting comparative and might serve to ease the worry of some who might feel the stock Mk7 audio is a disappointment....really has rather made me come to realise how good the stock Mk7 audio actually is.

Last edited:

veedubfreak

Go Kart Champion
I have the Fender audio in 16 R and have been perfectly satisfied by it.
My previous car was an 11 Golf TDI will full Focal mids/highs and fosgate 10" sub with fosgate amps.
I feel like the Fender audio is great for being a "stock" audio system compared to tearing it out and spending 2-3k on aftermarket speakers/amps/sub/head unit.

dickt

Ready to race!
I can't say I'm surprised. Sounds are such a personal thing. So your dad probably registered that the HK was an improvement on the standard kit. However, your ears have only heard/listened to the HK and you can hear its strengths and weaknesses. My daughter fitted additional amplification and a large amount of bass to her "FR" Ibiza. I knew I would hate it...........er, no, it was rather good. I was amazed! It had been well specced and well fitted.
Given that nothing in a car can beat my home set up, I tend not to play with car stereos.

pipsyp

Ready to race!
Talking UK spec by the way....we only get 8 speaker and 25w x 4 amplification here unless we want to pay extra for Dynaudio...which I guess is identical more or less to the Fender fitted in NA.

I agree with you though dickt, sound is a v personal thing and of course ICE will never come near a v well sorted indoor audiophille set up......was just surprised....maybe I was expecting too much of the HK. In fairness to it, it did go v uncomfortably loud with little or no distortion with a fair bit in reserve...whilst it had the clarity definitely did not have the punch I expected given its dedicated 2 x 8" subs and amplification. At relatively normal listening levels, still uncomfortably loud the Golf system had a better rounded sound..to my ears at least.

ASBOST

I'm so sorry to hear about your dad mate, please accept my condolences.

I opted for Dynaudio from day one. Had it in my scirocco and thought it was a worth while investment, but I'm 100% certain I would have found the standard system amazing coming from an Megane RS 265 which had the most APPALLING sound system ever!

BxGTI

Go Kart Champion
Sorry about your dad, I lost mine to Cancer almost a year ago.

My GTI came with the standard audio system and we all know that is not crap to most but is not great, I didn't have a choice of cars since I got mine for such a great deal that I didn't care that was an S GTI so. I added an Amp & a Sub to make it better but I'm sure that I would've loved the Fender system since is custom for the platform and all. I had cars with HK & Bose and my DD Audi has a 10 speaker Bang & Olufsen that is just Awesome, sound is just perfect and since is calibrated for each model everything is sweet so if I have the choice and I ever buy another GTI I'll opt for the premium sound system instead of installing stuff and save money in the process

pipsyp

Ready to race!
I'm so sorry to hear about your dad mate, please accept my condolences.

I opted for Dynaudio from day one. Had it in my scirocco and thought it was a worth while investment, but I'm 100% certain I would have found the standard system amazing coming from an Megane RS 265 which had the most APPALLING sound system ever!

Cheers chap....a long 4 or so year battle with Pancreatic Cancer...was in remission for a good 3 of those which is relatively unheard of. V brave man, loved his cars..where I get it from haha

Agreed my GTD was a company car so had to take it bone stock bat the colour....Id have probably spec'd Dynaudio given the choice.

How was the Renault....amazing car to drive Ive no doubt but id bet the Golf satisfies more in many other ways ?

pipsyp

Ready to race!
Sorry about your dad, I lost mine to Cancer almost a year ago.

My GTI came with the standard audio system and we all know that is not crap to most but is not great, I didn't have a choice of cars since I got mine for such a great deal that I didn't care that was an S GTI so. I added an Amp & a Sub to make it better but I'm sure that I would've loved the Fender system since is custom for the platform and all. I had cars with HK & Bose and my DD Audi has a 10 speaker Bang & Olufsen that is just Awesome, sound is just perfect and since is calibrated for each model everything is sweet so if I have the choice and I ever buy another GTI I'll opt for the premium sound system instead of installing stuff and save money in the process

Sorry to hear that chap, terrible disease and I do hope they find some cure for it in our lifetime.

Agreed its not that I dont think Dynaudio/Fender is worth the money, just really that the stock system is really rather good considering the sum of its parts. To be fair if we were talking F30 3 series HK, I gather that is superb but has more speakers, better amplification and a proper DSP. I dont think the stage setup in the F20 is anything to write home about.