GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

THE Formula One Thread

g-magoo

Autocross Champion
21 second gap in a 24 lap sprint. Exciting stuff.
Closer to 23-24 seconds when you ignore the other RB car. Sunday's race would have been 25-26 sec gap to Leclerc had Max not pit to attempt the FL.... large gaps on the shortest timed lap of the calendar, yikes. It's like 2019 Merc all over again.

I see can both RB and AT definitely looking for new #2 drivers after this weekend.

Saabingti

Autocross Champion
Closer to 23-24 seconds when you ignore the other RB car. Sunday's race would have been 25-26 sec gap to Leclerc had Max not pit to attempt the FL.... large gaps on the shortest timed lap of the calendar, yikes. It's like 2019 Merc all over again.

I see can both RB and AT definitely looking for new #2 drivers after this weekend.

I'll agree on AT, but Checo placed 2nd at the sprint and made up 12 places during the actual race to end up on the podium. That's pretty much what RB is/would be looking for in a #2 driver IMO.

I liked the battle for 3rd, but I felt like Sainz made a couple of double moves/moved during breaking? I was rooting for Perez to have a good drive after the track limits debacle in Quali and thought he might have been able to catch Leclerc if he had gotten the move done on Sainz at the first attempt. Some silly racecraft mistakes to give Sainz DRS after the overtake on consecutive laps... but I thought FIA was going to eliminate those cat-and-mouse detection points? Or was that just for (?) Abu Dhabi?

g-magoo

Autocross Champion
I'll agree on AT, but Checo placed 2nd at the sprint and made up 12 places during the actual race to end up on the podium. That's pretty much what RB is/would be looking for in a #2 driver IMO.
Probably an overreaction on my end regarding Perez, for now. I just have a feeling that RB would much rather have their 2nd driver making it to Q3 and starting the race within the top 10. Not making it to Q3 four races in a row in the best car on the grid isn't doing himself any favors.

I guess right now, it's kind of irrelevant; the RB clearly has a massive pace advantage over the grid and has the luxury of getting to the front seemingly regardless of where they start. Now if by magic these other teams close the gap to RB (this year or next) and they need to actually fight for the points/positions, Perez could be an issue.

Some silly racecraft mistakes to give Sainz DRS after the overtake on consecutive laps... but I thought FIA was going to eliminate those cat-and-mouse detection points? Or was that just for (?) Abu Dhabi?
I think it was Jeddah that triggered them to look into it. I have no problem with the who's jumping on the brakes first to get DRS, I secretly wish whoever's racing one another both lock up and destroy their tires every time.

Saabingti

Autocross Champion
Probably an overreaction on my end regarding Perez, for now. I just have a feeling that RB would much rather have their 2nd driver making it to Q3 and starting the race within the top 10. Not making it to Q3 four races in a row in the best car on the grid isn't doing himself any favors.

I guess right now, it's kind of irrelevant; the RB clearly has a massive pace advantage over the grid and has the luxury of getting to the front seemingly regardless of where they start. Now if by magic these other teams close the gap to RB (this year or next) and they need to actually fight for the points/positions, Perez could be an issue.

I think it was Jeddah that triggered them to look into it. I have no problem with the who's jumping on the brakes first to get DRS, I secretly wish whoever's racing one another both lock up and destroy their tires every time.

I think this weekend may have been a bit of a redeemer for Sergio, but I don't think he'll get a new contract with RB past 2024 anyway - he's 33 years old right now, and there are younger and more talented drivers on the grid who might just end up disgruntled with their current teams. At the present moment I think NdV is out at AT and I don't think Yuki has developed enough to move to RB.

Silverstone this weekend has some potential on paper. Upgrades for Merc and I think Ferrari as well, and apparently Pirelli is bringing some sort of improvement to their tires?

Thumper

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2012 Golf R Stg3 APR

Yeah, but in the battle with Sainz he kept blowing the DRS detection in T3 and letting Sainz just come back at him. He finally got it done but wasted a lot of time and tire to do it. Was very sloppy.

And yeah, spent all weekend screaming at the TV......."The lines don't move jagoffs!!! STAY ON THE TRACK!!!!" Seriously funny and frustrating to hear all the guys complaining "What's with all these track limits, F#*cking joke!" Well, you see....there are these bright white lines on the edge of the pavement, those are the edges of the track. If you drive on the outside of those lines....you are outside track limits......see how this works? Pretty simple.

It's amazing how they can come within 2cm of the line without going over consistently everytime on a track where there's a wall. Seems like they have the ability to avoid going over a line........

Saabingti

Autocross Champion
Yeah, if Perez doesn't waste three laps trying to figure out why Sainz is getting DRS, I think he could've caught Leclerc.

Walls vs track limit lines - I bet the walls are a little easier to see from within the cockpit. Some of the helmet cam views have really blown my mind with how poor the visibility seems to be at times.

2012TP

Drag Racing Champion
Anyone attend Monza? Scheduled to be in Milan for work the week of, and thinking of extending the trip out for race weekend…

torga

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'11 GTI
Sainz and Pérez battling near the end was my favorite part of the race.

berserker6

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
That was a great qualifying. Happy for Lando. Fingers crossed this'll be a fun race. Someone needs to make a meme of Perez getting knocked out of Q1 with Dani Ric peeking around the corner 😂

berserker6

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
What a great race! From start to finish. If nothing's on later tonight might be worthy of another watch

berserker6

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
I was the edge of my seat on that safety car restart, what a drive from Norris. Bad luck with the timing of the pit stop for piastri or he probably would have been P3.
Ya I was the edge of my seat for almost the whole thing. What a fast flowing track. Lando had a bad restart after the safety car. That or his tires weren't ready. Looking back with hindsight the hard was probably the right tire for them. They're saying their car is hard on tires. They may have cooked softs before the finish. I'm hoping this track/race wasn't an anomaly for McLaren and that these upgrades are actually the real deal. (I just want to see competitive racing) And what happened to Aston?