GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The first face-off between the US R and the STI

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
niiiiiiice. i'ma show this to my friend who's a subie kid... it won't faze him, but i can still try

Wild Hare

.: MR. BIG STUFF :.
Car(s)
2015 Golf R (TUNED)
Ha!
I'll have to tease Randy about this one!

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
Wow, nice. :cool:
VW's were always the better cars but couldn't match the Subies performance.
Well, VW's taken care of that.

GGray

Ready to race!
Nice review!

Sounds like all it needed was a DSG flash for track use.

reallypeacedoff

Ready to race!
Yeah, I'd be willing to bet that some PSS tires on there would shave off a second or so. DSG flash would do some damage too BUT a manual R I think would be 2 seconds behind, so on par with the STI.

This car has so much potential, really enjoying driving it.

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
Yeah, I'd be willing to bet that some PSS tires on there would shave off a second or so. DSG flash would do some damage too BUT a manual R I think would be 2 seconds behind, so on par with the STI.

This car has so much potential, really enjoying driving it.

change your descrip then, show off that R! :D

artargyle

Ready to race!
Well this is so nice to read & not surprising to lots of us R7 folks.
"...Track Stars
Around the undulating 2.21 miles of MRLS, the STI gripped and drifted for an impressive time of 1:47.16 -- quick enough to place it 0.42 second ahead of the 2006 Porsche Cayman S and just 0.44 second behind the 2013 Bentley Continental GT Speed but an eye-opening 1.15 seconds behind the Golf R's 1:46.01. Why is the more powerful STI that much slower? "The VW felt softer but overall more refined,"our pro shoe Randy Pobst said. "With three tight hairpins, Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca rewards braking and acceleration. This offers the possible explanation for the 1-second-plus-quicker Golf. It stopped very well, while the STI suffered significant fade. Off the corners, the Golf showed fabulous traction; in fact, it felt like it had less understeer on power than it did off power, which is kind of unusual. This is by far the best VW turbo-four I have driven yet from the factory -- really runs well and pulls all the way to redline. Further, the VW's DSG gearbox does not require the boost-robbing lift off the throttle to make a shift, as does the Subaru's true manual. And the steering -- quick, excellent, with a lot of good feedback."

Read more: http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests..._sti_vs_2015_volkswagen_golf_r/#ixzz3TKttLoMh

Wild Hare

.: MR. BIG STUFF :.
Car(s)
2015 Golf R (TUNED)

Abbott Martin

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GTI Performance 2dr
Yes I do.

I've known Randy since '86. When we both were in the SCCA Solo 2.

Good, so you can give him a hard time about what he did a few weeks ago:
pitting a manual Z07 against a GT-R. GM said the auto is faster. Love his work.