GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The COVID19 SCAMdemic... California Nears $8 Gallon Gas - Biden Sends Zelenskyyy $61 Billion

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Safeway is the only big brand you listed and they don't clean the conveyor at their Phoenix stores. The Frys (Kroger) stores in AZ aren't even wiping down the handles on the shopping carts anymore. I wear gloves so it doesn't matter to me.

The military exchange system is much bigger than Safeway and Krogers.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
The military exchange system is much bigger than Safeway and Krogers.
Technically it's Albertsons and Kroger but do you have numbers to substantiate that? Krogers is the biggest grocery store chain. When you say military exchange system are you only comparing food sales only to those grocery store chains?

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
Technically it's Albertsons and Kroger but do you have numbers to substantiate that? Krogers is the biggest grocery store chain. When you say military exchange system are you only comparing food sales only to those grocery store chains?
Every military base in the world has a commissary and several shoppets too, they’re like a 7-11. Larger bases have a metric fuck ton of aafes shoppets. I think ft hood had at least 6 iirc. So yeah I’d say they’re big. At least big enough to qualify. Kroger isn’t in Germany. Or Italy. Or in as many other countries vs aafes

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Dammit Jay, did you let the sites certs expire? It's unusable from my phone.

Last edited:

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Based on a quick search, 3514 Kroger's stores, 3100 for the military exchange system, 2252 Albertsons ,897 Safeways. I didn't realize Kroger was so big.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Based on a quick search, 3514 Kroger's stores, 3100 for the military exchange system, 2252 Albertsons ,897 Safeways. I didn't realize Kroger was so big.
You can add the Safeway and Albertsons together since Albertsons bought Safeway. But Krogers still does more volume. Kroger is called different names in some regions. It Frys in AZ.

cb1111

Every military base in the world has a commissary and several shoppets too, they’re like a 7-11. Larger bases have a metric fuck ton of aafes shoppets. I think ft hood had at least 6 iirc. So yeah I’d say they’re big. At least big enough to qualify. Kroger isn’t in Germany. Or Italy. Or in as many other countries vs aafes
Uhhhh, there is a huge difference between the military exchange and the commissary. While the exchange (PX/BX) is a non-appropriated fund (i.e. they need to make a profit to cover expenses - but extra profits are returned to the communities in some form or another), the commissaries are "appropriated fund" so they sell products at cost plus a tiny overhead. Baggers at the commissary are paid via tips ONLY. Both are military commands and headed by military officers.

The shoppettes, food courts, food trucks, (Baskin Robbins/Popeyes/Burger King etc.) and military clothing sales are run by the exchange - AAFES for the Army & Air Force, NEX for the Navy and MCX for the Marine Corps. The Coast Guard has the CGX, but the other uniformed services (Public Health Service, NOAA) have no exchanges but the Merchant Mariners become part of the Navy when activated.

cb1111

I assume you also live in a red state? Just a hypothesis of mine.
Virginia is not a red state (not sure how the hell that happened, but that's beside the point).

Giant is part of a huge chain that included Food Lion, Stop&Shop, Peapod, Fresh Direct, Hannaford and a handful of others.

I'd be happy if they just wiped down the keypad, but I think the stores have given up.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
Uhhhh, there is a huge difference between the military exchange and the commissary. While the exchange (PX/BX) is a non-appropriated fund (i.e. they need to make a profit to cover expenses - but extra profits are returned to the communities in some form or another), the commissaries are "appropriated fund" so they sell products at cost plus a tiny overhead. Baggers at the commissary are paid via tips ONLY. Both are military commands and headed by military officers.

The shoppettes, food courts, food trucks, (Baskin Robbins/Popeyes/Burger King etc.) and military clothing sales are run by the exchange - AAFES for the Army & Air Force, NEX for the Navy and MCX for the Marine Corps. The Coast Guard has the CGX, but the other uniformed services (Public Health Service, NOAA) have no exchanges but the Merchant Mariners become part of the Navy when activated.
The shoppetes commissary and px are all ran by the same chain of command iirc. Now the third party stuff, bk dominoes etc, I believe they take orders from the same chain of command however they are totally independent too. Financially at least.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
Virginia is not a red state (not sure how the hell that happened, but that's beside the point).

Giant is part of a huge chain that included Food Lion, Stop&Shop, Peapod, Fresh Direct, Hannaford and a handful of others.

I'd be happy if they just wiped down the keypad, but I think the stores have given up.
Grats for not being in a red state. That’s progress. Seems like your state was another that rejected trump in a huge way.

cb1111

The shoppetes commissary and px are all ran by the same chain of command iirc. Now the third party stuff, bk dominoes etc, I believe they take orders from the same chain of command however they are totally independent too. Financially at least.
Nope. Commissaries are run by The Defense Commissary Agency (DeCA)out of Fort Lee VA. AAFES (Army & Air Force Exchange Service) is an independent military command that was established in 1885 by General Order 46 of the War Department. AAFES and the sister agencies NEX/MCX/CGX run and operate the major concessions overseas (BK, BR, Popeyes, Franks franks, Anthony's World Famous Pizza etc.) and the employees of both the commissary and the exchanges are government employees.It is a mixed bag in the US - some are run by AAFES and some are independent.

I spent 15 years working for the Exchange - most of the time in the legal office.

As a little factoid, AAFES Europe ran the worlds largest bakery and ice cream plant in Grünstadt Germany, making their own name brand stuff along with Baskin Robbins, Weight Watchers and Breyers under license and the bakery did (IIRC) Sara Lee and Wonder bread with weekly deliveries of fresh bread to embassies worldwide via train, truck and planes. AAFES had the largest fleet of trucks in Germany with about 2000 GMC tractors and 4000+ trailers. AAFES had an exemption to allow their trucks on the Autobahn on weekends.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Point is, there's a lot of locations in the exchange services, over 3100, regardless of chain of command. All that I've been to the last 8 months, whether 7 day store, exchange or commissary, have cleaned between customers. Granted, that's only in the NE Florida area.

cb1111

Point is, there's a lot of locations in the exchange services, over 3100, regardless of chain of command. All that I've been to the last 8 months, whether 7 day store, exchange or commissary, have cleaned between customers. Granted, that's only in the NE Florida area.
Absolutely. Both the commissaries and the exchanges follow strict guidelines - regardless of location as they follow departmental rules along with the installation rules - whichever are more strict.