GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The COVID19 SCAMdemic... Economy So Strong That eBay Hard Up For Business

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
As for "printing money" the FED controls the US monetary supply, and does specifically order printing, (the treasury actually prints it) typically by purchasing bonds (although there are other triggers) in order to increase inflation. QE was when this happened on a massive scale in 2008-2009 in order to prevent deflation. The FED also uses its power to set interest rates to control economic cycles. Right now, the fed is slowing its bond purchases and signaling that it expects to start raising interest rates in 2022 (likely summer, but nothing set yet) in response to current inflation. One of the reasons cited is that inflation is outstripping economic growth, due in large part to stimulus plans introduced in response to COVID.
I don't disagree with any of that. But the notion that stimulus in 2020 is to blame for the huge inflation we're seeing right now across the entire globe is just silly. I was merely citing that this is a global issue caused by global supply chain issues.

Last edited:

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
and ok so your argument is "sure, printing leads to inflation. but the massive increased amount of printing we did last year? completely irrelevant to the massive increased inflation happening now"
No, you continue to argue strawmen and purposefully misrepresent what I said. I didn't say it's "completely irrelevant" either. From the beginning I have been talking about the global inflation we're seeing, and that is due to global supply chain issues. Any inflation from US stimulus is a small piece of US inflation. But US stimulus isn't causing the entire planet to experience inflation LMAO, and it certainly isn't causing the 5%+ inflation we're seeing here at home. And we KNOW this because when you look at the basket of goods used to calculate inflation, you can directly trace much of it back to supply chain issues.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
The borrowing by the Fed will lead to inflation at some point but right now the biggest reason for inflation is simple supply and demand. All the businesses that were closed because of Covid shut down the supply and the demand is high thus driving up prices.

npace

Autocross Champion
I don't disagree with any of that. But the notion that stimulus in 2020 is to blame for the huge inflation we're seeing right now across the entire globe is just silly. I was merely citing that this is a global issue caused by global supply chain issues.
I generally agree with you. Global economy is one of the easiest things to oversimplify, and one of the hardest things to actually understand. Economists don't fully understand it, that's why they spend decades publishing theories and creating models to understand it. It isn't a pure science because human behavior plays a large part, and human behavior gets very unpredictable.

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
I'm not sure what the entire argument is, but the velocity of money is not the amount being spent. It is a way to quantify the number of transactions taking place. It measures the number of transactions taking place per dollar. An oversimplification is if Mr. Jones buys a widget from Mr. Smith for $1, and then Mr. Smith buys a different widget from Mrs. Lee, then the velocity is 2, because two transactions took place. The amount of money is still $1.
I don't think that's quite how it works. https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/M2V. It is essentially "the number of times one dollar is spent to buy goods and services per unit of time." It's the rate of money turnover. It's not independent of amount. V is calculated by dividing the nation’s economic output, nominal GDP, by the money supply. It does produce a "rate," but it's important to note it is based on amounts too. One of the main uses is to understand if people are spending or saving.

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
mrmattolsen said:
Merely "printing money" or having more of it available doesn't magically cause the inflation (edit) we're seeing today.
mrmattolsen said:
I never said it doesn't contribute to inflation.
I don't know why those two statements are so hard for you to reconcile. The majority of the inflation we have today is due to a supply-demand imbalance. In principle and in theory, stimulus would cause price inflation, but right now we can trace most of the CPI basket increases to supply constraints.

Reactions: WAP

zrickety

The Fixer
Car(s)
VW GTI
LMAO why am I not surprised you would end up here. You don't even know what the chart you cited represents.

I never said it doesn't contribute to inflation. I said it doesn't create the inflation we are seeing TODAY. FFS. Grow up. Go learn economics.

Edit: Wow this entire thread is even dumber than I initially realized 😂. Out.
Don't let the door hit you on the way out LMFAO

zrickety

The Fixer
Car(s)
VW GTI
I generally agree with you. Global economy is one of the easiest things to oversimplify, and one of the hardest things to actually understand. Economists don't fully understand it, that's why they spend decades publishing theories and creating models to understand it. It isn't a pure science because human behavior plays a large part, and human behavior gets very unpredictable.
I would argue that human behavior is VERY predictable. The whole pandemic and now climate change hoax are based on it. Humans historically do the same things over and over. Economists make excuses, it's not complicated at all. Politics are the only x factor.

zrickety

The Fixer
Car(s)
VW GTI
The borrowing by the Fed will lead to inflation at some point but right now the biggest reason for inflation is simple supply and demand. All the businesses that were closed because of Covid shut down the supply and the demand is high thus driving up prices.
Supply is down, demand is the same. Inflation is through the roof because the Fed keeps printing money. Everything costs more and sellers are passing that on to us

npace

Autocross Champion
I don't think that's quite how it works. https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/M2V. It is essentially "the number of times one dollar is spent to buy goods and services per unit of time." It's the rate of money turnover. It's not independent of amount. V is calculated by dividing the nation’s economic output, nominal GDP, by the money supply. It does produce a "rate," but it's important to note it is based on amounts too. One of the main uses is to understand if people are spending or saving.
We're saying the same thing. The amount is a constant during a set period of time. It's accounting for currency changeover instead of just adding up transaction totals. Otherwise it would look like the economy is being over-spent, even when accounting for debt.

npace

Autocross Champion
I would argue that human behavior is VERY predictable. The whole pandemic and now climate change hoax are based on it. Humans historically do the same things over and over. Economists make excuses, it's not complicated at all. Politics are the only x factor.
Humans generally do the same things repeatedly, however, when governments step in and do things like send a few thousand dollars to everyone with the expectation that they spend it, it is surprising when they don't. Usually other factors are ignored or discounted. But if it was easy, the economy would keep rolling, full steam ahead. Spending patterns, hiring patterns, and labor patterns don't stay the same because other factors alter human behavior in ways that are unintended or unplanned for.

npace

Autocross Champion
Supply is down, demand is the same. Inflation is through the roof because the Fed keeps printing money. Everything costs more and sellers are passing that on to us
I know I'm being a little pendantic, but the FED doesn't print money. They order additional currency, usually by purchasing debt. The treasury prints notes to guarantee payment on the debt purchased by the FED.

Since this is the official GTI conspiracy thread, how's this for one - only twice have US Presidents authorized the printing United States Notes (dollars that do not represent US debt). Federal Reserve notes represent dollars in debt. Anyway, the two Presidents that authorized those notes were Lincoln and Kennedy. Take from that what you will.

zrickety

The Fixer
Car(s)
VW GTI
I know I'm being a little pendantic, but the FED doesn't print money. They order additional currency, usually by purchasing debt. The treasury prints notes to guarantee payment on the debt purchased by the FED.

Since this is the official GTI conspiracy thread, how's this for one - only twice have US Presidents authorized the printing United States Notes (dollars that do not represent US debt). Federal Reserve notes represent dollars in debt. Anyway, the two Presidents that authorized those notes were Lincoln and Kennedy. Take from that what you will.
Since we're on the topic, the Federal Reserve is not Federal or a reserve, they are a third party entity and there is no gold or real value backing our money.

zrickety

The Fixer
Car(s)
VW GTI