GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The COVID19 SCAMdemic... Economy So Strong That eBay Hard Up For Business

cb1111

That’s fucked. And incredibly devious

one interesting privilege disabled and retired vets have. We have no idea how the fuck health care works. Since we get it and always had for free. Sure the va is flawed as fuck but it’s hard to be ungrateful since it’s free. Even I wouldn’t know how to get health care. I dunno, do u call someone? Do you go somewhere and buy the shit?
I'm always amazed at how badly the military does retirement briefings.

In very basic terms - if you're a veteran, you can go to the VA - the world's largest healthcare provider. In addition, if you are retired, you can get Tricare (until you are 65 and then you enroll in Medicare and get Tricare for Life). Tricare gives you access to Military Treatment Facilities on a space available basis, but more importantly, takes the place of Medicare supplement plans (and the pharmacy part D) and covers most (all?) co-pays.

If you are a retired veteran (it is technically possible to be retired but not a vet) and have only used tricare to date, then you should sign up in the VA system as well even if you have no intention of ever setting foot in a VA facility. Why? Because there are some things that are covered by the VA that Tricare and Medicare do not cover - one example are "durable medical products" that covers the gamut from wheelchairs to Oxygen to adult diapers and bed pads. The consumables will be mailed to you.

You need to sign up for the VA well before you need it.

I have a colleague who is working on assuring that medical benefits aren't downgraded. That organization (a bunch of old farts that have good connections to Congress but no tech skills) needs social media and website help, so if anybody wants to volunteer services please PM me.

cb1111

You lose tricare prime or select, you are required to go on Medicare A and B, B costing a minimum of 148 per person/ month, and you are enrolled in tricare for life, which is a Medicare supplement, that you still have to pay the annual tricare fees.

Republicans are eroding military retirees health care slowly but surely.
There are no Tricare for Life fees

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I'm always amazed at how badly the military does retirement briefings.

In very basic terms - if you're a veteran, you can go to the VA - the world's largest healthcare provider. In addition, if you are retired, you can get Tricare (until you are 65 and then you enroll in Medicare and get Tricare for Life). Tricare gives you access to Military Treatment Facilities on a space available basis, but more importantly, takes the place of Medicare supplement plans (and the pharmacy part D) and covers most (all?) co-pays.

If you are a retired veteran (it is technically possible to be retired but not a vet) and have only used tricare to date, then you should sign up in the VA system as well even if you have no intention of ever setting foot in a VA facility. Why? Because there are some things that are covered by the VA that Tricare and Medicare do not cover - one example are "durable medical products" that covers the gamut from wheelchairs to Oxygen to adult diapers and bed pads. The consumables will be mailed to you.

You need to sign up for the VA well before you need it.

I have a colleague who is working on assuring that medical benefits aren't downgraded. That organization (a bunch of old farts that have good connections to Congress but no tech skills) needs social media and website help, so if anybody wants to volunteer services please PM me.

First, back to your "always" comment. Tricare for Life didn't exist before 2001. Retirees received care at MTF's or at civilian facilities if care was unavailable at an MTF. In that case, Champus prior to 1996 and Tricare after 1996 paid for the care.
Conservatives drastically cut MTF beds, creating a problem that they solved by creating TFL.

VA covers service related conditions.

I lived through all of this and watched MTF get gutted. The majority of naval hospitals are now big outpatient clinics. You're wrong, no matter how smart you think you are.

cb1111

Uh, nope what? You used to stay on champus/tricare, tricare for life didn't exist, and there was no requirement to go on Medicare for military retirees. So not sure where your "always" comes from.

You're wrong, again.
Gee you're right. It wasn't "always" - just since CHAMPUS morphed into TRICARE and TFL has always been a Medicare supplement.

Read this and weep.

cb1111

First, back to your "always" comment. Tricare for Life didn't exist before 2001. Retirees received care at MTF's or at civilian facilities if care was unavailable at an MTF. In that case, Champus prior to 1996 and Tricare after 1996 paid for the care.
Conservatives drastically cut MTF beds, creating a problem that they solved by creating TFL.

VA covers service related conditions.

I lived through all of this and watched MTF get gutted. The majority of naval hospitals are now big outpatient clinics. You're wrong, no matter how smart you think you are.
Yes, MTF access has been reduced dramatically, but say that the costs began with Trump is absurd. Costs began with the change from CHAMPUS to TRICARE. With TFL, you can go to any Medicare provider and costs are covered, but I expect the current administration to raise fees and reduce benefits even more.

The VA covers far more than service related conditions.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Yes, MTF access has been reduced dramatically, but say that the costs began with Trump is absurd. Costs began with the change from CHAMPUS to TRICARE. With TFL, you can go to any Medicare provider and costs are covered, but I expect the current administration to raise fees and reduce benefits even more.

I didn't say it started with Trump. All these major cuts for retirees health care or big increases in fees happened under Reagan, GW and Trump, which is why I said conservatives.

Nice trying to pull the old both sides by speculating about future actions by Biden. Classic.

If anyone wants to understand how we got here, this provides a lot of information.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...FjAOegQIDhAC&usg=AOvVaw0OLJ0Llwj4DHBxBhNVA8ko

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Interesting update on the suspected origins of covid-19. Not sure if zrick will dismiss it because it's the WHO, embrace it as a reason to call it "the China virus", or argue it because it isn't saying it started in a lab... Maybe all three?

https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsa...-southwest-china-as-likely-source-of-pandemic
Early genetic tracing indicates it spread in Southern China for a year or so before mutating into the form seem in Wuhan and becoming pathogenic.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion

Yes the VA does far more than treat service related conditions for veterans, but for retirees, VA covers service related conditions.

Last edited:

cb1111

Yes the VA does far more than treat service related conditions for veterans, but for retirees, VA covers service related conditions.
Kinda-Sorta. Once you are in the VA system you get all of the services.

One big problem with the VA is that there is a huge disparity between facilities - some are great and some are awful. The one here in DC is pretty awful (odd because it is near HQ) while others (keehs says good things about the one in Denver) are quite good.

Again, this goes back to the piss-poor retirement briefings that retirees get where they don't get all of their benefits explained properly.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
Kinda-Sorta. Once you are in the VA system you get all of the services.

One big problem with the VA is that there is a huge disparity between facilities - some are great and some are awful. The one here in DC is pretty awful (odd because it is near HQ) while others (keehs says good things about the one in Denver) are quite good.

Again, this goes back to the piss-poor retirement briefings that retirees get where they don't get all of their benefits explained properly.
Nothing’s worse than the va in south Florida.