GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Take a look at my alignment specs please

mustache rash

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 GTI
I just got an alignment on my '17 sport after I installed ED springs.

Looks like the rear camber wasn't touched. It's sitting at 2.1/2.2. Is this in spec? Seems way too high. The print out says it is but maybe they modified the range? Idk

I know 2 degrees isn't a major concern but I do not want a shit alignment since I paid top dollar for it(after all vw dealers turned me away)

Take a look

AR11

Ready to race!
As the wheels move through their range of travel they pick up negative camber. Lowering a car increases the static camber for this reason. The rear camber is not factory adjustable (as far as I know). Those numbers are approximately what I would expect for a moderately lowered mk7.

I wouldn't worry much about the rear camber but you should consider the camber of the fronts relative to the rear as it will contribute to handling characteristics. If you're serious about handling you will likely want to address the front camber to bring it in line with the rears.

Edit: rear camber may be adjustable by eccentric bolt in upper arm

Last edited:

Navi

Autocross Champion
Never heard of this shop but I'm going to Guilfe's in Islip to get my car aligned once my wheels come in... They did my old car when I had coil overs and did a great job. Are you sure rear's are adjustable? I don't remember seeing any adjustability when I installed my coilovers. I know that 034 sells a camber adjustable arm to install for like 429 or something which also makes me think that there is no factory camber adjustability in the rear.

vw671

Autocross Newbie
Factory specs are already listed on the sheet and is specific to the car. Rear as indicated is -2.3 to -1.3 which you are within the acceptable factory range and hence it being "green". Generally if you don't tell the aligner your preference within the spec range he's not going to move it if it's already good.

Looks like the rear camber wasn't touched. It's sitting at 2.1/2.2. Is this in spec? Seems way too high.
True, they didn't touch the rear at all.
I'd have rear camber set to about -1.5° (-1°30'). After this toe in needs
to get set as well, though it's ok right now. Even if camber is still within
factory spec you'd benefit from decreased tire wear at -1.5° and a more
neutral handling.

The rear camber is not factory adjustable (as far as I know).
Dude, no offense, but if you don't know it, why . . . . ? :confused:

mustache rash

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 GTI
So I contacted the shop and they refused to adjust the rear.

They said it falls within the factory specs and if I wanted a custom alignment it would be more money. This alignment cost me $200 and all they adjusted is the front toe!

Can anyone tell me if -2.2 is really within factory specs for rear camber? Their alignment sheet states on top "modified specs" so they could enter whatever they want

vw671

Autocross Newbie

They said it falls within the factory specs and if I wanted a custom alignment it would be more money. This alignment cost me $200 and all they adjusted is the front toe!

Can anyone tell me if -2.2 is really within factory specs for rear camber? Their alignment sheet states on top "modified specs" so they could enter whatever they want

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7yqafcuh3m9gzyj/Alignment%20Values.pdf?dl=0

GTi says -1 degree and 45 minutes which is -1.75 and +-30 minutes so 0.5 degrees.

so the range would be -2.25 to -1.25

On a side note...the company's name "Motorsports" is a joke. Should be called Elite Midas.

enjoyminutemaid

Ready to race!

That's unfortunate. Both times I've gotten performance or custom alignments (different places and different cars, one of which was my car mk7 gti) charged less than $200 and did exactly what I asked beforehand.

Sadly true. Remember one degree is 60 minutes according to ISO, not 100.
Yes, -1°45' is -1.75° as Americans use to say, and +/- 30' (0.5°) tolerance
means the permitted range is from -1°15' (-1.25°) and -2°15' (-2.25').
So, the result is absolutely on the edge and far from being ideal, but it's still
within factory spec admittedly. However I don't think this shop cares about
customer satisfaction obviously. If they would they'd have adjusted the rear
back to the factory set camber as close as possible, since they certainly are
aware about the resulting tire wear. I feel with you.

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner

Wow, that's ridiculous

My VW dealer charges $80 and will set it to whatever I want