GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Take a break ......

Avanti

Go Kart Champion
I was going to ask in the past if anyone had the take a break warning come up , just before the weekend, I don a 37 mile trip and the warning came on :eek: Admitedly the journey was along the M6 J7-14 with all the variable speeds and road works, but it still seems a short time for the warning to come on.

testcard

Ready to race!
I've had the Take a Break warning appear several time in the past, usually a couple of hours into a long journey. Recently there have been a couple of occasions where it's appeared after less than an hour. Perhaps my driving is getting worse?

testcard

Ready to race!
In my case it was probably due to driving through the roadworks north of J28 on the M1. All 20 miles of them.

Avanti

Go Kart Champion
I've had the Take a Break warning appear several time in the past, usually a couple of hours into a long journey. Recently there have been a couple of occasions where it's appeared after less than an hour. Perhaps my driving is getting worse?

According to VWs description it is nothing to do with journey time, it monitors for signs of erratic driving.

That is what surprised me, as like testcard I have done long ourneys and it has never come on, I was driving less than an hour but it was plenty of speed changes etc and it came on, same with the return journey. But it hasn't come on during a work commute when average speeds can be as low as 8mph for the 6 miles.

Genegenie

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
VW Golf
Had the warning come on the once, though I was doing 70mph for 5 hours without a break. Not reccomended but I had a long way to go and really too little time to get there, made it ok I did & nice the car 'thought' of me....

TerryReis

Passed Driver's Ed
Came up on the way back from Dumbarton to Birmingham.
It was a long day, I was tired.
It was fair enough, I stopped for a coffee.

Cheers,

Terry

Seppdelaney

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2010 Jetta Wolfsburg
This is apparently not on American versions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scotty1

Passed Driver's Ed
I wonder if VW have thought about selling advertising space on cars which are rentals or hire cars.

Have a Break. Have a KitKat

Sootchucker

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
MK7.5 GTI (2018)
From the VW self study manual:

Task
Between 5% and 25% of all accidents are due to fatigue. Tiredness at the wheel causes more serious accidents than other causes of accidents.

The Driver Alert System (DAS) is a convenience function which supports the driver by acting as a preventative function for detecting driver fatigue.

Function
The driver's alertness is identified by analysing the way the driver is steering the vehicle. If the system identifies that the driver is about to fall asleep, then an acoustic warning is issued along with a text prompt in the multifunction display of the dash panel insert, telling the driver to take a break. Along with the way the vehicle is being steered, data about the driving situation (vehicle speed, accelerator pedal use, indicating, time of day, duration of journey, etc.) and the buttons pushed by the driver on the set-up and convenience functions (air conditioning system, telephone use, etc.) are registered and transmitted via the CAN bus to the diagnostic interface for data bus, where they are analysed. The sensors required for the system are part of the ESC system, with the software integrated in the gateway.

Operation and display

Operation
The system is activated and deactivated using the display and operating unit in the infotainment system using the entry “Assistance - Driver Alert System active”. The function is available at speeds of 65 km/h or more. Following activation, the system requires around 15 minutes to collect enough data for use as a basis for deciding whether the driver is getting tired during the remainder of the journey.

Display

When driver fatigue is detected, a message appears in the dash panel insert for 5 seconds and a “gong” sounds. If the driver does not take a break within the next 15 minutes, the message and gong are repeated. After this repetition, there is no further message.