GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Tailgate wiring loom grommet part number

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
Weird, i had the same issue. I broke my clip and have been trying black silicon. The left side seems fine, the right wont stop leaking (think its the upper part). Just using normal adhesive silicon (doesnt work). Bought the grommets from VW for $12CAD, might just swap them out if its easier.

It's not a nice job. Try some of the recommended sealants in this thread first.

There's a lot of cables and connectors to disassemble if you decide to replace the boots.

Chogokin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI Sport | Audi A3
It's not a nice job. Try some of the recommended sealants in this thread first.

There's a lot of cables and connectors to disassemble if you decide to replace the boots.

Lol...I think it might be easier to cut and solder the wires than it is to pull the wires out of the hatch:D.

AF62`

It's astronomically easier to seal it with automotive sealant.

Well I am just about to find out how astronomically expensive it is, as an aftermarket dashcam fitter damaged both ends when fitting a rear dashcam to my car.

Their corporate HQ has agreed to cover the cost of the repair and I am in the process of getting a price from the local VW dealership.

Given the amount of work I can't imagine it is going to be cheap...

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
Well I am just about to find out how astronomically expensive it is, as an aftermarket dashcam fitter damaged both ends when fitting a rear dashcam to my car.

Their corporate HQ has agreed to cover the cost of the repair and I am in the process of getting a price from the local VW dealership.

Given the amount of work I can't imagine it is going to be cheap...

Was it Halfrauds?

AF62`

Was it Halfrauds?

How did you guess...

Damned annoying as I was very reticent in going with them but the fitter seemed to know what they were doing, answered the questions I had positively, and had all the right kit.

And then the @#*£ goes and does this without having the balls to admit it.

So far they seem willing to cover the cost, after I told them that, no I would not be letting them fix it - do I look stupid, and it would be a VW dealership doing the work.

Just waiting for the quote back now.

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
How did you guess...

Damned annoying as I was very reticent in going with them but the fitter seemed to know what they were doing, answered the questions I had positively, and had all the right kit.

And then the @#*£ goes and does this without having the balls to admit it.

So far they seem willing to cover the cost, after I told them that, no I would not be letting them fix it - do I look stupid, and it would be a VW dealership doing the work.

Just waiting for the quote back now.

In fairness, they're VERY easy to break especially on an older car; the plastic gets very brittle.

AF62`

In fairness, they're VERY easy to break especially on an older car; the plastic gets very brittle.

Mine is a three year old car.

But if they are that fragile they are a bit dim to only charge £20 for the fitting of the rear camera, given the potential risk of significant losses if they do damage it.

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
Mine is a three year old car.

But if they are that fragile they are a bit dim to only charge £20 for the fitting of the rear camera, given the potential risk of significant losses if they do damage it.

So was mine, but I still broke it even after being warned how easy they broke!

Tsi7

Ready to race!
I actually ran into the same problem with the grommet... broke both clips on the left and right side when pulling the harness for my LED taillights but it didn't leak for almost a year until now... Bought two grommets from the dealer for 25 bucks and will end up tackling the problem of removing the wires... this should be fun.

I had no auto sealant at home so I used a really ghetto solution for the time being... bathtub caulk... it doesn't look pretty but it's holding up until I replace the grommets

Golfs everyday

Autocross Newbie
I actually ran into the same problem with the grommet... broke both clips on the left and right side when pulling the harness for my LED taillights but it didn't leak for almost a year until now... Bought two grommets from the dealer for 25 bucks and will end up tackling the problem of removing the wires... this should be fun.

I had no auto sealant at home so I used a really ghetto solution for the time being... bathtub caulk... it doesn't look pretty but it's holding up until I replace the grommets

You already bought new ones so I guess swap them out, but I would fill the inside of the grommet generously with the caulk and let it seep out a little bit when you push it back onto the hole. If the inside is sealed, chances are even if the grommet's mouth leaked, water has no place to go inside.. if that makes sense.