GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Suspension Rattle after VWR Install???

FriskyDingo

Ready to race!
Everything but the springs is stock.

Had a tech ride with me and he said it sounds like the sway bar end link. Gonna get it back up on a lift Monday and check it over.

FriskyDingo

Ready to race!
UPDATE- After getting the car back up on a lift and going over everything and doing some retightening just to be sure, the noise went away......

....For a day.

It has come back and gotten progressively worse, and now the driver side has begun to make the same noise. Also, I've determined it's actually a rubbing noise rather than a rattling.

Any help at this point would be greatly appreciatated.

Buncy

Passed Driver's Ed
I have replaced a few springs in my time, make sure the nut at the top of the strut (the one that retains the bump stop and top bearing) is tight. Often it cant be fully tightened if the spring is not compressed enough. This is because when your tighting the nut its also trying to compress the spring. Once the strut is put back into the car the weight of the car compresses the spring allowing that nut to become loose giving a rattling sound.

RacingManiac

Drag Race Newbie
I have had this in a few different iterations. I am running Koni Sports with stock spring on my summer autoX setup and when I initially put them in it made noise(with brand new strut mounts and bearings). Got them removed and reassembled and it went away for the rest of the season. No issue swapping the stock strut assembly back on. Swapped back to the Koni this summer and it started to make noise after a few weeks of driving. Also found the Koni started to leak so the struts assemblies were disassembled and sent back for rebuild. Drove on the stock setup for a few months with no issues then reassembled the rebuilt Koni, and it is making the same noise again. The sound is from the top mount area I am pretty sure. I have torqued the top nut to the correct torque and again this year the top mounts/bearings were brand new. I was suspecting that the earlier noise when I first reinstalled them(before rebuild) was that the top mount were worn because the additional stress/damping force from the Koni were causing them to fail, but with the brand new one making noise I am not so sure. I need to check the alignment tab between the bearing and mount are lined up correctly, but I probably won't have time to do that for a few weeks. In the mean time I am just living with that.