GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Steel Oil Pan - thoughts, pointers, and 1 warning

19 r

Passed Driver's Ed
I posted this in the GTI forum, but it also applies to the R.

I recently purchased two inexpensive steel oil pans - one for my '19 R, and one for the wife's '18 GTI. I just finished the install on the GTI, and thought I'd pass on some findings:

First, the WARNING - the factory oil pan bolts are too long for the steel oil pan. Some of the bolt holes in the upper oil pan (block) are blind (they have a bottom) and the stock bolts bottom out before becoming tight when changing to the much thinner steel oil pan. I anticipated this problem and had shorter bolts on hand. If not looking for this, it would be easy to tighten and torque the bolts, never knowing some are not holding the pan tight. I think VW went with longer bolts at some point - the GTI bolts were longer than the spec I looked up.

Pointer - When using gasket maker instead of an actual gasket, it is very easy to allow the parts being fastened to move against each other and scrub off some gasket maker while starting the first couple of bolts. I made three 1.5" pieces of M6 threaded rod to act as guides. Guides were screwed into block, then pan put in place and held while starting first bolts. Then guides removed.

Pointer - Follow your gasket maker instructions to the letter. In the instructional video I watched, the guy put gasket maker on the pan, installed the pan, and put oil in the engine. The gasket maker I used instructs to let sit for 24 hours before adding fluids. This allows the gasket maker that gets squeezed into the block to cure. Better seal and less likelihood of gasket maker getting washed off and getting into the oil pickup.

Inexpensive oil pan - I found these oil pans for $22 + $10 shipping each. The only problem I have found is the bolt hole alignment isn't 100% perfect. Some were slightly off, but not enough to be a serious problem (did not have to drill any oversize to make work). To do again, I would buy the same pans.

Hopefully this helps the next install.

Raguvian

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GSW 4MO 6MT
Nice tips. I think it's recommended to get new bolts when you drop the oil pan since they're stretch bolts.

I used a Felpro gasket with no sealant, which went on super easy. No leaks yet.

19 r

Passed Driver's Ed
Nice tips. I think it's recommended to get new bolts when you drop the oil pan since they're stretch bolts.

I used a Felpro gasket with no sealant, which went on super easy. No leaks yet.

Yes, new bolts recommended (although, IMO, torque to yield on small steel bolts in aluminum is a good way to strip aluminum threads).

Anyway, I purchased Stainless Flanged Hex Head bolts and simply bumped the torque up a little. No leaks.

19 r

Passed Driver's Ed
PLEASE NOTE: I have been informed, and have researched to verify - THE VOLATILES (FUMES) GIVEN OFF BY STANDARD RTV SEALERS CAN DAMAGE THE O2 SENSOR.

Please specify "Sensor Safe" when purchasing RTV Gasket Maker.