GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Starting photography

07vw

2007 jetta
So I know people have most likely asked this a billion times, but I am thinking about getting a DSLR camera, and I'm wondering what you guys would recommend for a starter. I'm only 17 (almost 18) and I would like to get a nice camera since all I have now is my cell phone lol. I would like to keep the price under $700. The lower the better, but I also don't want a bad camera. I saw the Nikon D40 at Best Buy for $448, and I was thinking about this. I just don't know anything about cameras.

Sorry for asking and acting like a noob. And I didn't post this in the photography thread because I feel like not many people post in there. But feel free to move this over there if necessary.
:thumbsup: Thanks in advance.

Doug18

Car(s)
R 32
the D40 is a good camera (im a nikon guy lol) you should read a ton of reviews before you buy anything like that there are some great ones on youtube also comparison shopping helps too http://www.ritzcamera.com/ they have some great deals on this site from time to time ... keep in mind that if you dont have the cash to shell out to buy the two lens kit the 'stock' lenses are fairly easy and pritty cheap on ebay

lastly there are some good deals to be found buying used there are plenty of cameras out there that have been babied if it were me though i would not buy anything that i cannot personally verify that it is in full working order ... thats just me though hope this helps

njfast07

Go Kart Champion

07vw

2007 jetta
Thanks for the advice so far.:thumbsup:
My best friend has a SLR Canon (not sure of the model) but she's looking to upgrade to a DSLR Canon soon. She wants me to get a Nikon because she wants a Canon lol. I don't think I'd buy a used one. I'll check into the D40x.

fastgtiboii

VW FTW
I'm in the exact same position you are, even the same age. I was going to recommend amazon but for some reason the place raised the price.
A couple weeks ago the price was $475 plus shipping for
♦ 1) Canon Digital Rebel XS
♦ 2) Canon 18-55mm Lens
[Outfit includes: LP-E5 Rechargeable Battery; Charger; Strap; Caps; Eyecup; Cables; Software; Instructions; Canon USA Warranty]
♦ 3) Transcend 8GB SDHC Memory Card
♦ 4) Cameta Incognito Deluxe Gadget Bag
♦ 5) Spare LP-E5 Replacement Battery
♦ 6) USB SecureDigital Card Reader
♦ 7) Image Recall Digital Image Recovery Software
♦ 8) Memory Card Wallet
♦ 9) Cameta Microfiber Cleaning Cloth

but now it's $579 plus shipping.
Still think it's a great deal either way
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B001E6G1B6/ref=ord_cart_shr?_encoding=UTF8&m=A36DL6WLK2RE7O&v=glance

fastgtiboii

VW FTW
If your really sold on the Nikon D40 theres another option: $596.95
This one is the same outfit stuff but comes with a 18-55 and 55-200 mm lenses
http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-D40-3-5-5-6G-Zoom-Nikkor-SecureDigital/dp/B000ZGU4V4/ref=pd_bbs_sr_10?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1233367375&sr=8-10

This is another Nikon D40 outfit but doesn't come with a 55-200 mm lens: $446.95
http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-D40-Digital-Transcend-SecureDigital/dp/B000LRMX7A/ref=pd_bbs_sr_9?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1233367375&sr=8-9

Just look around Amazon, it's a great site.

gti2008

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2008 GTI
that actually seems like a really good deal. does anyone have any input about this camera?

I got this for 200$ new in the box :wink: Don't ask how :p just read my other thread in the camera section haha... It's by far the best camera that I've shot with, I've messed with all of them, I work in sears electronics. The Nikon is a nice camera, but very hard to understand. The sony alpha 200 is just plain garbage. The XS is just overall an easy camera to get started with, the auto sensor cleaner = great, live view is ok, but not really recommended as it is not what actually turns out in the picture. Also, lenses for canon > lenses for Nikon.

Barrett

veeeeeduuub
Car(s)
08 GTI MKV
Go with a Canon Rebel. They're better than a Nikon D40, etc. My friend has a D40, and I don't like the pictures. I love my Canon Rebel XSI.

notkool59

Go Kart Champion
Go with a Canon Rebel. They're better than a Nikon D40, etc. My friend has a D40, and I don't like the pictures. I love my Canon Rebel XSI.

x2
I love my XSI as well. I think it is the best camera in it's price range and even a little higher. You get a great camera out of the box and the lens it comes with is really good. It's also pretty easy to use, once you understand how to use it. I have always been a canon guy so this may be a little bias but that it what I recommend. My aunt purchased a bundle recently from costco for the XSI and it came with a 70-300mm lens and a memory card as well for around 700 I believe.

grada89

Go Kart Champion
I'm in the same position i want a Nikon but not sure if i should just go with the D60 or save a little more and go with the D80? From what i read people are saying the D80 is not the best starter camera.

But to the OP i would save a little more and go with a better camera. :thumbsup: