GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Start/Stop Function Mystery

Judesman

Ready to race!
If I turn off the Start/Stop Function at the beginning of a journey I find that after about twenty or thirty miles the light on the button has gone out and the function has re-activated. I thought I was imagining this so I have noted carefully what I have been doing.

I am aware that the facility re-sets when ever the engine is turned off but this happens without any sort of breaks in my journey.

I visited the garage but the service manager wasn't there and I spoke to the sales rep. He had no idea why such a thing might happen. He correctly pointed out ( I suppose) that the idea is that I shouldn't turn off the function.

Any thoughts?

Stripey

Ready to race!
If something has an on/off button, it kind of implies that it can be turned off, otherwise what's the point having the button. So it sounds to me like its a fault. Wouldnt be the first time something on these cars turns itself on/off for no reason.

f1gpxxx

Passed Driver's Ed
I have a GTD with DSG. I turn the stop/start off at the beginning of each journey and it has always stayed off. (Until I switch off ignition and re-start engine when it resets to the default of being activated). Judesman; I suggest that yours has a fault.

Judesman

Ready to race!
I think there is a fault but can you imagine telling the garage that it is 20 or 30 miles before it appears. These garages like to witness the fault themselves. Anyway thanks for your thoughts.

vwman

Go Kart Champion
Could it be that you are accidentally turning it off by just brushing the switch by the gear lever.

It doesn't take much pressure at all ..

Just a thought.

Chris43

Go Kart Champion
Judesman, your signature says manual box.

I also have a manual but dont bother touching the stop start button. I find that when the car is stationary if you leave it in gear with the clutch in the engine doesn't cut. Conversely if I put it in neutral and let the clutch up it kills the engine. This allows me to decide whether stop start is used or not. At junctions where I know the traffic light sequence I tend to use stop start otherwise I just keep the clutch in and let the engine tick over till im ready to go.

Ive no idea how stop start works with one of them fangle dangle dsg boxes

Chr15b

Ready to race!

I also have a manual but dont bother touching the stop start button. I find that when the car is stationary if you leave it in gear with the clutch in the engine doesn't cut. Conversely if I put it in neutral and let the clutch up it kills the engine. This allows me to decide whether stop start is used or not. At junctions where I know the traffic light sequence I tend to use stop start otherwise I just keep the clutch in and let the engine tick over till im ready to go.

all too bloody often!! i'd quite like it in the scenarios you suggest.

vwman

Go Kart Champion

With DSG when you actually stop if you leave your foot on the brake for more than a couple of seconds it will cut in.

Take your foot off the brake pedal straightaway & no stop-start so you have total control.

Judesman

Ready to race!
Thank you Chris43. Yes I usually keep my foot on the clutch at traffic lights etc. so the engine does not cut out. What concerns me here is that there is a facility on this car that does not appear to be working as it should.

Chris43

Go Kart Champion
Thank you Chris43. Yes I usually keep my foot on the clutch at traffic lights etc. so the engine does not cut out. What concerns me here is that there is a facility on this car that does not appear to be working as it should.

I've got a longish trip planned for Tuesday. I'll switch stop start off when I leave the house and see what happens. Also, its just come to me, does it default back on if you use the ACC? I can't see why it would but you never know

Judesman

Ready to race!
Thank you Chris43, that would be appreciated. I have never used ACC. Two reasons, I haven't got around to trying it out and here in rural Dorset opportunities are few and far between.

Chris43

Go Kart Champion
Thank you Chris43, that would be appreciated. I have never used ACC. Two reasons, I haven't got around to trying it out and here in rural Dorset opportunities are few and far between.

I have to report that once switched off, the stop / start stayed off. I've done an 80 or so mile journey on M/Way, A + B road today.

Judesman

Ready to race!
Chris43, thank you very much for that, it is appreciated. I have a couple of long trips to make over the next two weeks so I will do some more research.

GolfPilot

Ready to race!
With DSG when you actually stop if you leave your foot on the brake for more than a couple of seconds it will cut in.

Take your foot off the brake pedal straightaway & no stop-start so you have total control.
The problem I find is, if you stop at a T-junction and you have to wait a few seconds for a car on the road you're entering, you have to keep your foot on the brake otherwise the car keeps moving as it's an automatic. This causes the stop/start to cut in when really it isn't needed. I want the car to stop but I don't want the engine to! That's why I always turn it off when I start the car. I used to like it on the manual as I could determine when it cut in.

I would be interested to know how other DSG drivers deal with this.

GP