GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

ST XA or Bilstein B14 Coilovers?

jeffdemara

Ready to race!
Narrowed it down to 2 different coilovers for my MK7 Golf 1.8T (50mm spindles up front).
1. ST XA
2. Bilstein B14 PSS

Goals: Ride quality for daily driving, nothing overly expensive, zero track time, replace my stock shocks + VWR lowering spring combo

I realize ST XA are basically KW V2's without being stainless, and should ride very nicely. As for the Bilstein B14 setup, I'm a bit concerned about not being able to go as low as I'd like without getting into the range where the ride quality really suffers (these do not go that low).

I live in Vancouver BC, Canada, and our winters are pretty mild, but there are days where there's salt on the roads. Will that be a concern with either of these corroding?

Opinions and experiences with either are welcome! Need some help making the right decision!
Thanks

bfury5

Autocross Champion
Do the ST come with camber plates? If they do, I would steer clear of those for any sort of winter driving. Once dirt / sand gets in there it'll chew up the bearing and get noisy/ loose really quick

jeffdemara

Ready to race!
Do the ST come with camber plates? If they do, I would steer clear of those for any sort of winter driving. Once dirt / sand gets in there it'll chew up the bearing and get noisy/ loose really quick
No. And i prefer to run stock top bushing/bearing as well anyways for comfort and less NVH.

joerg83

Car(s)
mk7 gti perf
Honestly, try to find a good dealer in your proximity and get some guidance/testdrives there. If you're concerned about comfort neither will be as good as the stock suspension. I drove st xa coilovers for 2 years, they are way better through the bends, but are much harsher on low speed bumps. You'll have to go up to KW V3s, KW street comfort, or Bilstein B16s to get comparable comfort levels. I've instantly made the switch to kw v3 after driving them in a buddys golf and would never go back. Opinions on coilovers are so all over the place, I personally, will never buy new ones again before testing them. Tires and suspension have the biggest impact on your vehicles dynamics. Try out a few before making a decision.

jeffdemara

Ready to race!
Honestly, try to find a good dealer in your proximity and get some guidance/testdrives there. If you're concerned about comfort neither will be as good as the stock suspension. I drove st xa coilovers for 2 years, they are way better through the bends, but are much harsher on low speed bumps. You'll have to go up to KW V3s, KW street comfort, or Bilstein B16s to get comparable comfort levels. I've instantly made the switch to kw v3 after driving them in a buddys golf and would never go back. Opinions on coilovers are so all over the place, I personally, will never buy new ones again before testing them. Tires and suspension have the biggest impact on your vehicles dynamics. Try out a few before making a decision.
I currently have VWR lowering springs on stock shocks. It doesnt handle bumps very well, and im not overly picky with a stiff ride. I just dont want it to be jarring and feel like I have no suspension at all. Some coilovers are just ridiculous.