GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

St. 2 at 70k?

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
I've been running st. 1 Uni for the last 35k miles (65k on the odo at the moment). No problems except the usual thermostat needing replacement. The question is, is it worth going st. 2 at 70k in several months? Is it too late for that? I understand the turbo is not immortal, and I'm fine with replacing it eventually.

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
If your car is well maintained and you haven't been beating the crap out of your car, i don't see a reason why not.

Jedimk7

Drag Race Newbie
Send it!

Sent from my Gavin Belson black box signature edition

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Turbo still working fine, i assume?

Knock on wood I’ve literally never had a single issue with this car.

Never been back to the dealership since the day I bought it in December 2015!

The only maintenance has been: cleaning the air filter, tires, spark plugs, fluid changes (oil, manual transmission, and brake fluid) and recently wiper blades and a battery at 70k.

It’s full bolt on (Baun Performance TBE, FMIC & a Injen intake w/diy scoop) with ST40 BBK and a DKM twin disk. Full set of BFI mounts and some VWR springs

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
quality parts, quality tune.....do it. I went stage 3 with over 100k on the clock in my other car....zero issues.

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
Knock on wood I’ve literally never had a single issue with this car.

Never been back to the dealership since the day I bought it in December 2015!

The only maintenance has been: cleaning the air filter, tires, spark plugs, fluid changes (oil, manual transmission, and brake fluid) and recently wiper blades and a battery at 70k.

It’s full bolt on (Baun Performance TBE, FMIC & a Injen intake w/diy scoop) with ST40 BBK and a DKM twin disk. Full set of BFI mounts and some VWR springs

I'm pretty much in the same boat. Nothing had to be done to the car except the leaking thermostat, which I plan on replacing in the near future. I'm sure carbon cleaning is also in the cards for me, although considering how I had been driving the car for the first 50k or so miles, I don't anticipate insane amounts of carbon buildup.

Is using timing instead of direct boost generally conducive to preserving the longevity of engine components?

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
I'm pretty much in the same boat. Nothing had to be done to the car except the leaking thermostat, which I plan on replacing in the near future. I'm sure carbon cleaning is also in the cards for me, although considering how I had been driving the car for the first 50k or so miles, I don't anticipate insane amounts of carbon buildup.

Is using timing instead of direct boost generally conducive to preserving the longevity of engine components?

Unitronic sure likes to claim that’s the case.

Boost generally doesn’t kill engines stage 2 though. High IAT and or lean mixture do so if you’ve got a sufficient intercooler, good fuel & enough of it to stay off the knock sensors and your golden.

Also, be proactive. If the car runs like shit figure out why rather than letting it blow up. Poor fuel mileage without a good reason like my 8mpg at a track day would be a sign of a bad injector. One massively rich cylinder results in 3 super lean ones and BOOM. Just use common sense and good maintenance practices and you’ll generally make your own good luck.