GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Sport Mode vs. "S" (below D)

reyoasian

Passed Driver's Ed
Is there a difference in putting the car in Sport Mode through the driving profiles button vs. putting the shifter in "S" which is below "D"? Or are they exactly the same (throttle response, nicer sound, stiffen up DCC shocks, etc.)

Abbott Martin

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GTI Performance 2dr
It only affects the transmission/throttle/soundaktor in the GTI. Both in manual and auto mode (normal and sport auto, normal and sport manual). Doesn't affect steering or lights. Basically if you're in Normal mode and put it in S it goes to Individual Mode (as far as I can tell). It just doesn't tell us.

reyoasian

Passed Driver's Ed
It only affects the transmission/throttle/soundaktor in the GTI. Both in manual and auto mode (normal and sport auto, normal and sport manual). Doesn't affect steering or lights. Basically if you're in Normal mode and put it in S it goes to Individual Mode (as far as I can tell). It just doesn't tell us.

Ok let me try to understand this..

"S" position by shifter -- throttle response, transmission shift speed, sound
Sport profile ----------- throttle response, transmission shift speed, sound + heavier steering, faster turning lights, DCC shocks stiffen (??)

"S" is really just putting the car into Individual profile, not the Sport profile.

Is that right?

dwvw

Go Kart Newbie
I think it is very wrong. Putting the gear shift into S actually affects the performance of the car, the Sport profile button just changes the headlight aiming and turns up the soundaktor as far as I can tell.

reyoasian

Passed Driver's Ed
I think it is very wrong. Putting the gear shift into S actually affects the performance of the car, the Sport profile button just changes the headlight aiming and turns up the soundaktor as far as I can tell.

With DCC, Sport profile would stiffen that up as well, no?
I asked the sales and he knew nothing, was hoping someone here would know!

Abbott Martin

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GTI Performance 2dr

Sport profile ----------- throttle response, transmission shift speed, sound + heavier steering, faster turning lights, DCC shocks stiffen (??)

"S" is really just putting the car into Individual profile, not the Sport profile.

Is that right?

This. It puts it into individual engine profile - Which affects the Soundaktor's effects. The GTI/R in Europe with the 3rd (engine) mode Eco may be different. Race in the R is the same as Sport in the GTI , except the main menu. Odd they didn't correct it.

reyoasian

Passed Driver's Ed
This. It puts it into individual engine profile - Which affects the Soundaktor's effects. The GTI/R in Europe with the 3rd (engine) mode Eco may be different. Race in the R is the same as Sport in the GTI , except the main menu. Odd they didn't correct it.

Thanks. Ideally I can set individual to exactly how I want it and quickly change to that profile by pulling the shifter down from D :)

DAS_STIG

Banned
ok...

Shifter "S" = changes transmission shift points (that's it, nothing else. the car is louder because it's revving higher, not because soundaktor settings were altered)

Driving Mode "Sport" = changes transmission shift points same as shifter "S", changes soundaktor to louder setting, stiffens up steering feel, changes throttle response, changes headlight aiming, stiffens up DCC? (not sure, i thought there was a "race" setting if you have DCC, but i don't so can't speak to this)

phaphaphooey

Ready to race!

Is that right?

This is correct. Putting the DSG shifter into the "S" position is the same thing as going into the driver profile selection and putting the car into an individual profile wherein the Engine is set to sport but the headlights and steering are set to normal.

DAS_STIG

Banned
This is correct. Putting the DSG shifter into the "S" position is the same thing as going into the driver profile selection and putting the car into an individual profile wherein the Engine is set to sport but the headlights and steering are set to normal.

i do not believe the soundaktor is affected by switching the transmission into S mode. also, moving the shifter into "S" is not the same as switching the setup to individual mode. it only changes the transmission shift points.

Abbott Martin

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GTI Performance 2dr
If you put it in Normal mode, pull the shifter to S then put it in M mode the engine sounds the same & throttle feels the same as full Sport Profile.
There isn't a a sporty-normal-drive. It's either sport engine (sharper throttle/louder soundaktor/higher shift points in auto) or Normal engine (softer throttle/quieter soundaktor/lower shift points in auto).
You can see this by clicking on the Info button on each profile.
DCC adds in a third, more relaxed chassis and steering setting, Comfort (and possibly a comfort engine setting but I believe it is just Normal with softer steering and chassis).
In Europe there is a 4th Eco Profile which adds a 3rd engine option Eco (assuming REALLY low shift points plus fairly aggressive start/stop and some other stuff we don't get at all).