GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Spacer question…

UNBROKEN

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2017 GTI S
After swapping wheels I’ve been playing with spacers to dial in the exact fit I want. In a perfect world I’d run 5mm up front and 10mm on the rear. The front is a non-issue. 5mm slip on spacers leave plenty of hub protrusion for the wheel to stay hub-centric. The issue is the rear…I ordered 10mm hub-centric spacers but the rear hub protrusion is longer than the spacer is deep. I threw one of the spacers on my Bridgeport and tried to machine it deep enough but as I figured I just cut off the part that the wheel would ride on…there’s not enough wall thickness for it to work. Long story short to run 10mm out back it will have to be a lug-centric fit. I don’t love that idea at all but I figured I’d see if anyone else had tried it and what the results were…especially at higher speeds?

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
I’ve run 5mm on the rear and with those they don’t fit hub centric cause when they get against the rotor face the hub actually has a taper and is smaller than 57mm so it’s got play. Luckily the spacers outer diameter fit the rotor and I was able to tape the edge of it even before I put the wheels on and they reach in and remove the tape. It’s the only way to get them centered, they won’t become lug centric Because taper of the lug bolts are what’s going to “center” a lug centric setup and they never touch those spacers, so you will wobble like crazy

Javwohl

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 Carbon Steel
I run 10mm hub centric spacers on my back wheels no problems. Did it so the right rear wouldn’t rub on the fuel filler neck any more.

UNBROKEN

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2017 GTI S
I run 10mm hub centric spacers on my back wheels no problems. Did it so the right rear wouldn’t rub on the fuel filler neck any more.
Do you remember the brand? I’m unsure how you got this style spacer to work at 57.1mm for the hub and wheel both.

Attachments

• B4083F70-69BF-4ABF-9495-0EFCF7331B9F.jpeg
    B4083F70-69BF-4ABF-9495-0EFCF7331B9F.jpeg
    680.9 KB · Views: 33

Javwohl

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 Carbon Steel
The brand was spulen I got it from ecs with the black bolts kit. The lip on the outer side fits in the wheel hub and the other side fits on the rotor hub.

UNBROKEN

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2017 GTI S
I saw that cap…being new to VW’s I didn’t want to remove it. I have the same style spacer…with it bottomed out on that cap it’s still 3-4mm from making contact with the hub. That’s why I tried to machine the hub side deeper but there wasn’t enough meat on the wheel side.
what’s behind that cap anyway? Just an axle nut or something? No grease or anything I assume since you removed yours?

Javwohl

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 Carbon Steel
Yep it's just a cap cover I don't remember what was behind there but wasn't any grease or anything I'll try to get a picture tomorrow once it's daylight but I think it's just a nut or something.

Doing some quick looking through the web looks like it's just a bolt that's behind it and that sounds about right.

Kdubya

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI
When i bought My spacers, i was Informed that due to the hub protrusion in the rear, the rear spacers had to be 13mm or more- kudos to the ones who have 10mm.. i have 20mm ready to
Go on with my stock wheels as Soon as the car comes back from the body shop - hopefully within the week

UNBROKEN

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2017 GTI S
So I cheated my way out of it. Rear camber was set at -1.7 so I moved it out to -1.2 to match the front and 5mm spacers made it perfect.