GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

+[snakcaz]+ VW MK7 2015 GTI - From Salvage to the Streets

snakcaz

Ready to race!
Updates on this?

1/2/18: Aha sorry for not posting in a long time. I didn't think I had anything interesting left to post to be honest. I don't go tracking or anything so I figured my journal would die, but seeing your post gave me the inspiration to keep on going. I guess it's the small things that count!

Lifewise, im trying to focus up, attend a couple more college classes, and finish up prereqs to get into a nursing program, so the GTI hasn't received much attention as of late.

Here's what i've done lately and or what has happened in the last months before the new years:

Bumper tapped. Told yall the bumper wrap would act as a bumper protection! I'm hoping the paint under is safe, wont know until in the future when I take it off. Might just invest in a bumper bully. The lifestyles of terrible bay area driving

Also added some reverse and inner deautokey led lights! Reversing has never been so pleasant with such bright lights to see in the rearview camera.

Old lights

Top (deautokey led) vs Bottom (OEM)

New deautokey leds installed!

Guess which is which? :)

Last edited:

snakcaz

Ready to race!
1/2/18 (cont.)

Changed out my catback exhaust for some sound tests with the stock muffler. The inside cabin noise is still a tad too much vibration for casual conversations, but it sure did sound good! I ended up just changing to full stock turbo-back system for now.

Left (custom catback) - right (OEM)

Also got the low coolant light. Was low and refilled it, we'll see how long it lasts :/ Was scared initially when the light came on.
Just filled it with 50/50 Distilled water + OEM VW G13 coolant

Also some asshole stole my tire valve caps... *sigh*....

Gogo GTI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Great journal! Like reading a detective mystery. Nice meeting you yesterday and good luck with the rest of your build.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

snakcaz

Ready to race!
Did you end up keeping the car? I remember you were looking to sell it.

And lol about the tire valve caps. I can't believe people still steal those... didn't the GTI just come with regular black caps?
Yeah hah, i ended up keeping it. Still driving well! No problems hah.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Rgraphic

Passed Driver's Ed
Nice story to read before bed. And I’m obsessing over my annoying door rattle...haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

snakcaz

Ready to race!
Any more updates?

Heyo! Yeah there is a sh*t ton hah, I havent got around to updating, been busy with school and such.

But! I got in touch with the previous owner of the car. Man what a story this is. Definitely a story to tell!

I will try and update soon as I can, as I am still in my finals week, and also in the process of moving to a new place.

Stay "Tuned"!

snakcaz

Ready to race!
The much needed long awaited update (5/28/18):

As of recently, the car has been running great! Every time I get into this vehicle, it marks still as one of the best decisions I have ever made. Of course there were initial regrets, it being a salvage, BUT, I am glad that it was this car. I was bestowed upon a diamond in the rough, and much more will need to be done. But for now, here is some more updates:

1/16/18: JB4 installed :) . Really missed some of the power back, but did not want to go back to a tune just yet.

More photos of the install here: https://imgur.com/a/BHGCG

3/31/18: Installed a XuJi wheel wrap as well! These wheels are easily scratched and I just couldn't handle scratching it anymore. Thus I had to get this wrap and put it on! I definitely like that it stands out, looks OEM, and you can see it while walking past from the front windshield. Forgot to take pictures of the wheel installed, as well as from the windshield. I will add that later.

More photos here: https://imgur.com/a/czp033q

5/15/18: MK7 LED Install (generics, not deautokeys)

I found some amazon LEDs that I wanted to try out. I dont think they look too bad! :) Was at the fraction of the price of deauto's, and still look pretty neat!

Left - OEM Halogens ; Right - LEDs

OEM vs LED comparisons

LEDs isntalled

snakcaz

Ready to race!
5/21/18:

Never in my life would I ever thought this was possible. For some backstory in what I mean, I'm talking about actually getting on the phone and contacting the previous owner of the vehicle before it became salvage title. There is almost a 0% chance in finding the previous owner when the vehicle is being sold with 100% anonymity. But with social media and a little bit of 'google-fu' we were able to find him!

I did not think this was possible, but through social media (as amazing as it already is) allowed me to find the previous owner! I was able to direct message the owner, and contact him after nearly half a year of owning the car.

I was in the gym when I randomly checked my phone only to see a DM that came from the owner of the car, and instantly flipped out during a set. (Lol) I spammed messaged back saying 'YES THIS IS REAL!' and messaged dozens of pictures that proved I took ownership of the vehicle, and even referred him to this thread here!

We exchanged numbers and legit had a phone conversation about anything and nearly everything about the car. From the first moment he took ownership of it, to today's post on how I took care of it. He told me about mods that even I didn't know existed on the car as well.

There isn't much detail I am allowed to say for privacy reasons, stems towards other branches of confidentiality as well. But I CAN say that I was able to find out details of the previous accident and how it came to be, and that the car was previously tracked, and it hit up to 500+ HP/WHP before being toned down. Insanity. He also said that at the price I bought the car, he would have easily bought the car back if he did not have to get rid of it.

He also offered me something that only he as the previous owner could offer. The Uniconnect+ cable that he used to tune the very same car to a Stage 2 ECU + TCU tune.

Ever since I tuned the car back to stock, I really had regrets on the decision. But it was a logical decision. I have been looking for ways to get that power back, which explains why I bought the JB4. I didn't think I could be able to go back.

But, with the Uniconnect+ cable (which is VIN locked to only 1 car), it is possible to flash it back to stage 2 in the future should I choose to go that route! Yet to receive the cable, but will update on this at a later time.

For now, I can safely say I really got a steal.