GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Slow Hazard When Locked

lplim

Ready to race!
Car(s)
'19 GTI (LB9Z)
Hi all,

I’ve reached a stump in trying to resolve some electrical issues i’m experiencing.

Back in 2022, I would charge my car every day after driving it which caused the battery to explode and make a mess in my engine bay. This led to one annoyance which is the intermittent hazard slow, and steadily going off for 5 minutes after being locked. (Not always, but would happen at random times)

Fast forward to end of 2022, my battery was warrantied. This has resolved the issues I was experiencing up until a few days ago.

The car is doing the same thing. Battery level appears to be alright, alarm horn works, but lights goes into a slow hazard state after being locked.

A few notes:
- I replace key battery once a year.
- No error codes on the vehicle.
- After reading a few VAG forums, some people have experienced this and was resolved via replacing the alarm module (not sure why, but my gut says this won’t resolve the issue(
- Another possibility is a battery replacement, but I’d like to get to the bottom of the isssue.

A few wiring / electrical work done to the vehicle just to note:
- Folding Mirrors
- Viofo A119 with Parking Mode
- Bucket Seat with Airbag Canceller (Using a Resistor)

I’m really torn with what to do at this point. It makes me feel like I’m seeking attention every time I’m parked.

Anyone experience this issue?

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
Take this with a grain of salt as I'm not an electric expert; however, if you're looking for a power drain....I'd disconnect the Viofo parking mode wire which feeds it constantly and see if that has any affect.

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
Why were you charging the battery after every time you drove the car??

AdamSheikh

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI | 24 RS 3
Take this with a grain of salt as I'm not an electric expert; however, if you're looking for a power drain....I'd disconnect the Viofo parking mode wire which feeds it constantly and see if that has any affect.
Dash cams like this have an internal battery that run the parking mode. If it's anything like mine, it only gets power from the 12v when ignition is on. But still can't hurt to unplug and remove the variable.

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Dash cams like this have an internal battery that run the parking mode. If it's anything like mine, it only gets power from the 12v when ignition is on. But still can't hurt to unplug and remove the variable.
This may vary by manufacturer. When I was shopping around the different Rexing models on Amazon, I seem to remember them specifically recommending their cable because it would prevent your camera from draining your battery below a certain voltage. The difference may be whether that particular model uses a battery or a capacitor.

https://www.amazon.com/REXING-Smart-Hardwire-Mini-USB-Version/dp/B07RN24B7V/

1687882347473.png

Only real experience I have with anything like this was on my MKV. The aftermarket head unit was causing a parasitic draw when the car was off. The tech explained that it had something to do with the CAN or gateway and the only way to stop it was to change it out with a more current version. I just pulled the head unit and traded it in for a MK7 haha.

Edit: On the MKV, this did not lead to my battery dying all of the time, but rather that a new one would not live longer than a couple of years max.

Last edited: