GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Shocker: California to Start Checking for ECU Tunes During Smog.

Raguvian

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GSW 4MO 6MT
Read up on CVN. It's a checksum that is computed from the tune on the ECU. It's my understanding that the shops/database will have a list of "OK" CVNs, if yours does not match any of those--busted. It's a simple OBD/UDS command that a scan tool can read, no different than reading your box code or DTC info etc.

I'm not sure I believe that. Their website says you can reflash to stock before smog:

https://www.bar.ca.gov/Consumer/Smog_Check_Program/FAQ

There could be other issues, like your stock 1.8T tune not liking your bigger injectors or bigger turbo that could cause issues, but you can still flash back to stock.

aaronc7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 S3
I'm not sure what you're getting at? Yes, you can always flash back to stock, in which case, your CVN will be "ok" and you wouldn't have issues. Stock tune will generate a known CVN = you're good to go.

Raguvian

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GSW 4MO 6MT
I'm not sure what you're getting at? Yes, you can always flash back to stock, in which case, your CVN will be "ok" and you wouldn't have issues. Stock tune will generate a known CVN = you're good to go.

Maybe I am misunderstanding you then. I think on other forums there was discussion of if the smog stations can keep track of how many times you've flashed your vehicle compared to what it "should" be so maybe I confused it with that.

Either way flashing back to stock is OK. I just wonder if a car with a different DP and turbo can even pass emissions on a stock tune.

aaronc7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 S3
Nah, this is just a way for them to verify you're running stock tune AND passed all emission monitors.

If you have a cat that is efficient enough then it should pass on stock tune. Problem is most won't. My IE downpipe sets P0420 right away. Thankfully I'm a FL resident but I am interested in this stuff.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion

I think what Raguvian meant was in some cases, a stock tune will no longer work with aftermarket parts installed.

E.g. In my 1.8 to get flex fuel tune, had to install an Autotech hpfp. I can no longer run a stock tune or even an OTS IS38 tune

Raguvian

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GSW 4MO 6MT
I think what Raguvian meant was in some cases, a stock tune will no longer work with aftermarket parts installed.

E.g. In my 1.8 to get flex fuel tune, had to install an Autotech hpfp. I can no longer run a stock tune or even an OTS IS38 tune

I mistook the CVN to be a checksum or flash counter similar to TD1.

I'm actually re-thinking if I should go IS38 w/ the Golf R OEM DP because I'm not sure that would even pass emissions on a stock 1.8 tune. I *think* I could pass visual since the turbo and downpipe should look fairly stock.

Chogokin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI Sport | Audi A3
Nah, this is just a way for them to verify you're running stock tune AND passed all emission monitors.

If you have a cat that is efficient enough then it should pass on stock tune. Problem is most won't. My IE downpipe sets P0420 right away. Thankfully I'm a FL resident but I am interested in this stuff.

My DP threw the 0420 after about 1500 miles. After that it would come off and on. I installed an o2 spacer. So far there are no codes and my monitors are all set. I have a JB4. So as long as they don't pop my hood and only look at their computer...I should pass. 2000 and newer cars also no longer require the tailpipe sniffer.

I had a B5 S4 back in the day and it had a Neuspeed chip and a catback exhaust. Since it was AWD...it did not have to go onto the rollers. They plugged into the OBD port and put the sniffer in the tailpipe. The guy did a test at idle...and two different RPM points. Car passed. I believe that if you have a tune...it will pass the OBD and sniffer test.

I'm curious to see a cars emission numbers with a DP with a 200 cel cat.

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
Have the ARM 200 cell DP with a straight clone spacer with the medium insert installed currently with no issue. No spacer I'd get a code somewhere around 100 miles, installed the spacer near the start of the year and no issues since.

Raguvian

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GSW 4MO 6MT
My DP threw the 0420 after about 1500 miles. After that it would come off and on. I installed an o2 spacer. So far there are no codes and my monitors are all set. I have a JB4. So as long as they don't pop my hood and only look at their computer...I should pass. 2000 and newer cars also no longer require the tailpipe sniffer.

I had a B5 S4 back in the day and it had a Neuspeed chip and a catback exhaust. Since it was AWD...it did not have to go onto the rollers. They plugged into the OBD port and put the sniffer in the tailpipe. The guy did a test at idle...and two different RPM points. Car passed. I believe that if you have a tune...it will pass the OBD and sniffer test.

I'm curious to see a cars emission numbers with a DP with a 200 cel cat.

California does visual though. I'd either hide the JB4 better or remove it.

Maybe you could run a smaller balttery and stick the JB4 in the battery box/fabric thing and put a cover on it and route the cables out the back to hide it.

2slowvw

Car(s)
2022 Tesla Model 3
If things like this bother you, make sure to contact your elected officials or vote for those who mirror your views on your lifestyle. Other states are looking to follow suite and implement similar tests.

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
Flash back to your tune the second they finish the smog test. Right in front of them.

Last edited:

SnailPower

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI MT, PP, LP
No, you are correct, but hey, with the lawmakers in Sacramento you can never be safe.

This is the problem. You got people being paid to come up with laws and other stupid things when there is nothing left to pick on that they will pick on what you could never imagine. They need to justify their paychecks.

With that said, I feel like it is a cycle process sometimes. When one comes around to say, no more of this, another will come around years later to create a new law to say, it's Okay, "BUT". Now he's got his law and his paycheck. Then years later another guy comes around and says, "No more of that".

I like to liken this similar to how corporations work. Company managers will say, let's outsource XXX jobs by bringing in contractors. It'll save us great money. Okay they do that. Quality of work goes down, they suffer, the next manager comes around, no, no more of that, let's hire in-house because we get better quality even if it costs more. Okay he does that. Now he's out of that position, moved on to something else. Next manager comes around, hey, let's outsource XXX jobs and hire contractors, it'll save us money 😵😵😵

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
This is the problem. You got people being paid to come up with laws and other stupid things when there is nothing left to pick on that they will pick on what you could never imagine. They need to justify their paychecks.

With that said, I feel like it is a cycle process sometimes. When one comes around to say, no more of this, another will come around years later to create a new law to say, it's Okay, "BUT". Now he's got his law and his paycheck. Then years later another guy comes around and says, "No more of that".

I like to liken this similar to how corporations work. Company managers will say, let's outsource XXX jobs by bringing in contractors. It'll save us great money. Okay they do that. Quality of work goes down, they suffer, the next manager comes around, no, no more of that, let's hire in-house because we get better quality even if it costs more. Okay he does that. Now he's out of that position, moved on to something else. Next manager comes around, hey, let's outsource XXX jobs and hire contractors, it'll save us money 😵😵😵
Agree with everything.

Nineeightyone

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
20 CX5 19 GTI 10 MZ3
Not at all worried about this. APR's got a CARB-certified stage 1 flash available, and even out of the box, my GTI is an unbelievably fun car. I have a friend who felt this would be the end of racecars, I thoroughly disagree. I find that there's a ton of value added from non-emissions-related items, like suspension, brakes, and tires.

With that said, we should really be going after private jets, cruise ships, etc. Create a system in which the dirtier the item in question, the heavier it's penalized. Want to roll coal? Sure thing bud, but it'll hit in the wallet hard.

I'm no hippie, but I agree that air quality is important, and that improving public transportation options (and telecommuting) is a step in the right direction. I travel for work quite a bit, but there's a large number of things I do that can be handled from the comfort of my home.