GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Second hand 7.5 R - Coolant or just dirty engine bay?

jonathan_phang

Car(s)
MK 7.5 Golf R
off topic on my own topic :D but should the bag burst would seem like something that would be warranty covered? It would seem so but just trying to see how much cover I could get from the usual probs.

jonathan_phang

Car(s)
MK 7.5 Golf R
Well, as an update, after all that as part of their checks to get it VW warranty ready, they have said that they will replace the waterpump and thermostat, which I guess it good. Hopefully it lasts a whiles before it inevitably goes again.

The workshop haven't said where the leak was so it may not have been these splashes, but I'm not going to say no to it regardless! Will have to check they are using the latest revision (or slightly less bad as I'll call it) parts.

Guess its a good thing but man I really want to get this car back home - been a while now since I put the deposit down!

Al_in_Philly

Autocross Newbie
Your engine actually looks unusually clean, as over time it will accumulate dust and the occasional water spray, snow, and morning dew. So, what I'm thinking is that the previous owner had cleaned the engine at least once, and what you're seeing are spots where the rinse water accumulated and dried, leaving a slight residue. But that's just my guess.

Genegenie

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
VW Golf
Looks kinda normal to me: prob nothing, poss just water splash from the road, your tyres, other vehicles, etc. The obvious thing to do if worried, and such things are always worth looking into IMO, is when the engine is cold, clean the engine bay, then see if the spray returns on a dry day, then a wet day, but like I said looks kinda ok to me.....

jonathan_phang

Car(s)
MK 7.5 Golf R
Yeah when I finally get the car (which seems like its taking an eternity to get this work done) I'll wipe away the watermarks on the internal bodywork and see. Seeing as VW are replacing the water pump and thermostat housing pretty sure they would pick up if it was a huge spray/leak. Like I said when I drove it it didnt leave fresh fluid so I'm inclined to agree that its just mud/water spray from underneath.

understandably getting impatient, but in a good way - just want to finally own the car