GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Second fan not kicking in

demon342

Ready to race!
Just picked up a Golf R and everything is going seemingly well although I noticed in traffic that there was a very loud whirring sound, popped the hood to find out its the large fan working harder because the second one won't kick on. Should I just replace the fan or test fuses first? I viewed humble-mechanic's video on Mk5 fans and from that video it sounds like its just the fan its self. Haven't gotten a chance yet to see if there's any resistance when moving it

Also I was going to order the new fan from FCPEuro but I'm not sure the sizes on the fans, is the big one a 12 or 16? The small one a 10 or 12? Can I put a 16 inch for the big one AND a 12 inch for the smaller one to increase cooling?

Allchokedup

Autocross Champion
Check fuse first, you can also get a jumper wire and connect directly to the fan and see if it comes on. Narrows it down..

demon342

Ready to race!
I checked fuse F24 and it looks fine, thats the right fuse for the fans right?

demon342

Ready to race!
figured. ordered, thanks guys!

Blakcard

Autocross Newbie
Just picked up a Golf R and everything is going seemingly well although I noticed in traffic that there was a very loud whirring sound, popped the hood to find out its the large fan working harder because the second one won't kick on. Should I just replace the fan or test fuses first? I viewed humble-mechanic's video on Mk5 fans and from that video it sounds like its just the fan its self. Haven't gotten a chance yet to see if there's any resistance when moving it

Also I was going to order the new fan from FCPEuro but I'm not sure the sizes on the fans, is the big one a 12 or 16? The small one a 10 or 12? Can I put a 16 inch for the big one AND a 12 inch for the smaller one to increase cooling?

Dealer or Private sale? If VW dealer take it right back and have them fix it if there is some kind of warranty (after sales) on it. I'm sure the OEM warranty is done however they may offer you something. Never hurts to try.

demon342

Ready to race!
Replaced the second fan this weekend, now both are working!