GOLFMKV

Running Unitronic with Cobb

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
No. ECU = one computer, box, module, whatever you wanna call it

TCU = another computer

They’re completely different so tuning one has no direct effect on the tune installed on the other

Hm, interesting. I came across this on the Cobb website:

FEATURES
Volkswagen Accessport with DSG Flashing GTI (Mk7) 2015-2018 USDM
Includes Stage 1, Stage 2, and Stage 3 ECU Maps
Includes OEM+, Sport, Aggressive, and Aggressive IS38 DSG Maps
Customizable Multi-Gauge Display
High-Resolution Data Logging
In-Vehicle Mount with On/Off Switch

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Hm, interesting. I came across this on the Cobb website:

FEATURES
Volkswagen Accessport with DSG Flashing GTI (Mk7) 2015-2018 USDM
Includes Stage 1, Stage 2, and Stage 3 ECU Maps
Includes OEM+, Sport, Aggressive, and Aggressive IS38 DSG Maps
Customizable Multi-Gauge Display
High-Resolution Data Logging
In-Vehicle Mount with On/Off Switch

Ok, I’m not sure what you’re getting at. I understand what features Cobb offers

Yes, Cobb AP comes equipped to tune both the ECU & TCU. But to answer your original question- Yes, you can load just the Cobb TCU tune and leave your Unitronic ECU tune

The Cobb AP connects via obd2 port, but which tunes you load or leave alone are selectable independently

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
Ok, I’m not sure what you’re getting at. I understand what features Cobb offers

Yes, Cobb AP comes equipped to tune both the ECU & TCU. But to answer your original question- Yes, you can load just the Cobb TCU tune and leave your Unitronic ECU tune

The Cobb AP connects via obd2 port, but which tunes you load or leave alone are selectable independently

Just trying to understand how this thing works before I screw something up in the process. As long as I can flash the TCU without touching the ECU tune I already have, I'm happy. Thanks for your input.

oddspyke

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI, 2018 ZL1
I would contact Cobb directly before you buy one just to be sure. Also, you already have Unitronic and they offer a DSG tune (as does APR) that will work with your existing tune. Both cost less than the Cobb route; the $400 cost is on top of the $650 for the accessport. Unless you plan on getting a custom Cobb tune, you're paying for a lot of capability you're not going to use.

BronxBomber

Ready to race!
I would contact Cobb directly before you buy one just to be sure. Also, you already have Unitronic and they offer a DSG tune (as does APR) that will work with your existing tune. Both cost less than the Cobb route; the $400 cost is on top of the $650 for the accessport. Unless you plan on getting a custom Cobb tune, you're paying for a lot of capability you're not going to use.

True. If you’re just looking for a TCU Tune and don’t plan on increasing power through purchasing more parts and/or getting a Protune, the Cobb seems like overkill. Now if you think you may want more power down the line, then it makes sense to buy the Cobb Accessport as your can get a Protune to optimize and maximize your power potential and have a selection of DSG tunes for your TCU as well.

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI

I definitely agree. However, the Unitronic DSG tune is still restrictive compared to the Cobb one. It does not remove automatic upshifts and downshifts (at least from what I gathered on their website). It also doesn't make the shifts in manual as quickly.

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
True. If you’re just looking for a TCU Tune and don’t plan on increasing power through purchasing more parts and/or getting a Protune, the Cobb seems like overkill. Now if you think you may want more power down the line, then it makes sense to buy the Cobb Accessport as your can get a Protune to optimize and maximize your power potential and have a selection of DSG tunes for your TCU as well.

I'll check with them to see if they can sell just the DSG tune. The $1050 for the Accessport is with the ECU tunes included, and since I already have Unitronic, I don't have a use for Cobb ECU tunes.

marc5800

Drag Race Newbie
I definitely agree. However, the Unitronic DSG tune is still restrictive compared to the Cobb one. It does not remove automatic upshifts and downshifts (at least from what I gathered on their website). It also doesn't make the shifts in manual as quickly.
This is unfortunately untrue...
The Uni DSG tune removes auto upshifts (if you wish) in Manual mode.

The shifts in Manual are quick. On pair with other OTS TCU tunes. The shift points in D and S are good too (not too aggressive and just enough in S mode). The only thing it lacks is clamping pressure. The Uni TCU tune should be used with the Uni ECU tune. Both being mild tunes and not as aggressive as others.

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
This is unfortunately untrue...
The Uni DSG tune removes auto upshifts (if you wish) in Manual mode.

The shifts in Manual are quick. On pair with other OTS TCU tunes. The shift points in D and S are good too (not too aggressive and just enough in S mode). The only thing it lacks is clamping pressure. The Uni TCU tune should be used with the Uni ECU tune. Both being mild tunes and not as aggressive as others.

Only stage 2 disables auto upshifts (you can choose the appropriate file). I'm running a stage 1 Uni ECU tune, so stage 1 DSG for me.

drrck

Go Kart Champion
If you mix and match you are just asking for problems. Both vendors will deflect blame on the other party, and they are both partially correct. There are many ways to go about calibrating both ECU and TCU. Stick with a proven combo that others have tested or stay within one vendor.

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
If you mix and match you are just asking for problems. Both vendors will deflect blame on the other party, and they are both partially correct. There are many ways to go about calibrating both ECU and TCU. Stick with a proven combo that others have tested or stay within one vendor.

Agree.
I can of course buy the Accessport and run both the the ECU and DSG tunes from Cobb. But that will mean I'll have wasted $600 on my Uni ECU tune. :(